The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

3 hours ago, Pongo Waring said:

Did Killers of the Flower Moon feel like a 3hour 46 minute movie or did it go quick?
Not sure I can sit in a cinema for that long.

It flew by for me tbh. I didnt even have my usual mid movie piss I was so invested 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just back from...

spacer.png

It was OK, a decent bit of entertainment which I'm sure fans of the game will get a bit more mileage from.

I did love those animatronic effects though - they nailed that.

If you're a horror fan (sorry Mike 😀) then you will NOT see many better examples of the genre this year than this absolute belter from Argentina:

spacer.png

Brilliantly written and directed with top notch acting. Some genuinely 'oh my **** god!' moments as the nihilistic dread slowly builds to a satisfying final act.

Showing on Shudder now and highly recommended.

• Thanks 1

On 25/10/2023 at 19:58, Designer1 said:

Just back from...

spacer.png

It was OK, a decent bit of entertainment which I'm sure fans of the game will get a bit more mileage from.

I just watched this.

I really didnt like it at all. Effects were really good though

Edited by Demitri_C

1 hour ago, Pongo Waring said:

That new David Fincher film is on Netflix now. Think it's called the killer but I could be wrong.

Anyone seen it?

Didn't think it was on there yet? Early Nov iirc.

4 hours ago, Pongo Waring said:

That new David Fincher film is on Netflix now. Think it's called the killer but I could be wrong.

Anyone seen it?

It’s got a decent review in Empire (subjective to the reviewer but a good indicator nonetheless!) 

I don’t think Fassbender has been in anything for a few years now so good to see him back. 

• Like 2

On 25/10/2023 at 18:58, Designer1 said:

Just back from...

spacer.png

Just put this on for a mindless 90 minutes (at least I'm hoping its 90 minutes)

I know absolutely nothing about Five Nights at Freddy's apart from there is a killer bear called Springtrap, and I only know that because I play Dead By Daylight and the community have been pretty much campaigning for a FNAF chapter for years.

This one was pretty decent. Always nice to watch horror-ish movies that doesn't come from Hollywood as they are not as easy to predict where it will go. Wasn't really a horror movie but worth the watch. 

Saloum | Ad-Free and Uncut | SHUDDER

• Like 1

Made the mistake of renting the latest rise of the footsoldier film, called vengeance. Now the original film and possibly the next two were decent and I do like a geezer movie but honestly I should've known better.

Same old, same old content.....i mean, i was more expecting Dave Courtney to pop up demanding a FEB than any of the actors giving a Larry Olivier award winning performance but....it was rubbish.

Based on a real life criminal Pat Tate who is played by Craig Fairbrass I sat there thinking that the real Tate was killed in his 30s and here we have Fairbrass who is almost 60 still playing the character despite looking too old "in the boat" to be a geezer in his mid or late 30s.

Without giving too much away ( I hope) the ending makes sure there'll be another one in the pipeline and no doubt it'll be full of drugs, gangsters, slags, proppa nawty geezers, shooters and and so on.

I'd avoid it if I were you.

• Shocked 1

So do we think this Snow White film is going to be worth the ball ache it has seemingly been for Disney - either artistically or financially worthwhile?

When I’m on the Google home page, the film often appears in the search box as a trending item, so I pick up little bits about it here and there. Feels like it’s been going on for ages. I wonder whether the sheer amount of scrutiny it’s had will ultimately benefit it.

My untrained vibe with all these Disney remakes is that there’s been a general shrug of the shoulders reception to them. Some better than others, but they don’t appear to be stopping any traffic with their releases.

Disney's live action remakes have mostly been successful, financially, some quite significantly so. Multiple of the films made over a billion.

But thats not really all the remakes are about.

They're partly just Disney trying to capitalise on their IP. They've got these movies that are 30 to 80, 90 years old that they don't do anything with, which in the current Hollywood regime is just leaving money on the table. You use your IP.

And secondly it's about reaffirming that IP. Anyone can go make Pinocchio movie, but Disney wants to ensure that their particular take on the tale, and anything near it as far as art direction etc, is protected. Some of those older movies are getting to the point where people might start pushing the Disney version as a generic version of the character, which would mean Disney's claim to them is undermined and possibly outright made redundant. So making a very, very, very similar movie take in live action will let them 'renew' the IP as far as they're concerned.

Never underestimate how far Disney will go to protect its property. They already have been leaning on US legislators about amending copyright and IP protection laws for many years, just over the fear of them losing control of Mickey Mouse as a character.

6 hours ago, Chindie said:

Disney's live action remakes have mostly been successful, financially, some quite significantly so. Multiple of the films made over a billion.

But thats not really all the remakes are about.

They're partly just Disney trying to capitalise on their IP. They've got these movies that are 30 to 80, 90 years old that they don't do anything with, which in the current Hollywood regime is just leaving money on the table. You use your IP.

And secondly it's about reaffirming that IP. Anyone can go make Pinocchio movie, but Disney wants to ensure that their particular take on the tale, and anything near it as far as art direction etc, is protected. Some of those older movies are getting to the point where people might start pushing the Disney version as a generic version of the character, which would mean Disney's claim to them is undermined and possibly outright made redundant. So making a very, very, very similar movie take in live action will let them 'renew' the IP as far as they're concerned.

Never underestimate how far Disney will go to protect its property. They already have been leaning on US legislators about amending copyright and IP protection laws for many years, just over the fear of them losing control of Mickey Mouse as a character.

Indeed, the Steamboat Mickey version of Mickey Mouse becomes public domain in the UK next year with a slew of other Disney characters in relatively quick succession afterwards. 

7 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

So do we think this Snow White film is going to be worth the ball ache it has seemingly been for Disney - either artistically or financially worthwhile?

When I’m on the Google home page, the film often appears in the search box as a trending item, so I pick up little bits about it here and there. Feels like it’s been going on for ages. I wonder whether the sheer amount of scrutiny it’s had will ultimately benefit it.

My untrained vibe with all these Disney remakes is that there’s been a general shrug of the shoulders reception to them. Some better than others, but they don’t appear to be stopping any traffic with their releases.

Side stepping what they've done with snow white, in general they just lack charm, Sebastian is made in to a real life looking crab (kind of...) and loses a ton of his character, that's what these films miss

Lion king was OK and technically pretty damn good, mulan was alright

Not seen one yet where it was better than the original, most aren't even half as good even though its the exact same story and songs

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Side stepping what they've done with snow white, in general they just lack charm, Sebastian is made in to a real life looking crab (kind of...) and loses a ton of his character, that's what these films miss

Lion king was OK and technically pretty damn good, mulan was alright

Not seen one yet where it was better than the original, most aren't even half as good even though its the exact same story and songs

My impression was that the lion king had the same issues in that “real” animals don’t emote so you lose a lot of character. Plus it’s the same story but somehow the running time is 30 minutes longer than the original. I remember the reaction to it at the time being very indifferent.

But yeah, a billion at the box office, so they probably don’t care too much.

This talk of Disney ties slightly in with my thoughts after the weekend at Disney Paris. Merchandising. They only seem to sell tat relating to a relatively small handful of films and/or characters. Not sure why but a ridiculous amount of Lilo and Stitch tat, Star wars, Toy Story, Nightmare before Christmas etc. They dont seem to acknowledge to any real degree films like Aristocats, Pinnochio, Up, Tangled, Brave, even Monsters Inc etc. I wonder if its rotational. 2023 might see a whole load of Lilo and Stitch stuff, next year may be Moana.

57 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

They only seem to sell tat relating to a relatively small handful of films and/or characters

I found out today that 'Kida' Kidagakash is not considered a Disney Princess for....reasons

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â