The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

I see Oppenheimer is being shown in some IMAX cinemas. Seems an odd choice, if - as I assume - apart from the final explosions and a few New Mexico desertscapes, the 'action' is mainly a bunch of politicians and scientists talking. 

It was shot entirely in IMAX/large format film. It's also so long that they had to adapt some of the IMAX kit to fit the film, and they developed a whole new type of film for it, as there's not ever been an IMAX black and white film stock.

Nolan likes the IMAX format so despite it mostly being people talking in rooms he's committed to the big scale film format.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Chindie said:

they developed a whole new type of film for it, as there's not ever been an IMAX black and white film stock.

But it's in colour. 

• Like 1

spacer.png

Yeah, good movie. Interesting enough to justify its runtime and the cast is uniformly excellent with Murphy and Downey Junior being the standouts against an absolute plethora (thanks) of top tier talent.

Not the sort of film I would probably want to watch multiple times, but definitely a fine piece of work.

• Like 1

Babylon was a let down, although I had no idea of the plot I thought the cast looked interesting.

Not entirely sure of the point of it, is it meant to be some kind of reflection on the current / ongoing shift in la la land (cinema - streaming services) or was it just simply a look back to the past? Fell short of whatever it wanted to achieve anyway and the weird bits just felt over-gratuitous and unauthentic.

• Like 1

On 20/07/2023 at 08:22, DeadlyDirk said:

..And just think when we all watched 28 Days Later about 22 years ago in the cinema for the 1st time, with a relative unknown in the lead, it's good to see such a talented actor from their breakout all the way through to where they are now.

I thought he was immense in the Ken Loach film, The Wind that Shakes the Barley. 

Edited by sheepyvillian

19 hours ago, Designer1 said:

spacer.png

Yeah, good movie. Interesting enough to justify its runtime and the cast is uniformly excellent with Murphy and Downey Junior being the standouts against an absolute plethora (thanks) of top tier talent.

Not the sort of film I would probably want to watch multiple times, but definitely a fine piece of work.

Yup spot on, was a great film, will win loads of awards, just not sure I will watch it loads of times as it certainly left me feeling somewhat deflated (not sure that's the right word but it certainly not a happy popcorn flick) 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Pfft. Nolan wishes he could make a movie as good as that*

*it's my favourite movie of all time so might be biased, but still no way.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

My bad.

The Wind That Shakes The Barley is another great film - not sure how it would go down with a British audience though! Very raw and a history people in Ireland are familiar with.

Edited by Captain_Townsend

Is there actually something behind this whole Barbie vs Oppenheimer thing?

Is it just a marketing ploy over two summer releases or is there something more to it?

I dont recall ever seeing this much interest or competition on films before. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â