The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

47 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Those moaning about the marvel films... I hope you're all doing a run through the transformers films next 😉

If I knew they climaxed in a couple of amazing films and the payoff was worth it then I probably would. But by all accounts those movies get worse and worse

On 03/07/2023 at 08:41, Stevo985 said:

I'm still working my way through the MCU. Luckily I've got to the stage where the movies are actually good, so it's a lot easier now. Just watched Black Panther.

Here are my verdicts on all of the movies so far, if anyone cares

Captain America: The First Avenger - Boring and shit
Captain Marvel - actually decent
Iron Man - rubbish
Iron Man 2 - more rubbish
The Incredible Hulk - boring and shit
Thor - one of the most boring films I've ever seen
The Avengers - Great
Thor: The Dark World - worse than the first one. This film alone caused me to have a 6 month break from the MCu because it was so shit. I gave up.
Iron Man 3 - awful
Captain America: The Winter Soldier - fine but extremely overrated. The Winter Soldier is an incredibly dull character. I don't care about him whatsoever
Guardians of the Galaxy - good fun. I still think it's a bit overrated and the soundtrack is completely shoehorned in. But it's a good, fun movie
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 - Started really well and goes downhill in the second half. The ending is absolutely awful, twee nonsense
Avengers: Age of Ultron - Really good. The movie that made me want to go on this horrible journey in the first place :D 
Ant-Man - way better than I expected. Really fun, Paul Rudd is a legend. Just why do they show Ant Man Running ALL THE TIME?!
Captain America: Civil War - Yeah this one is excellent. It's not really a captain america film, which helps a lot. 
Black Widow - Dogshit
Spider-Man: Homecoming - missed this one. it's not on Disney so I'll have to catch up. I absolutely hate spiderman movies so my expectations are low
Black Panther - absolutely brilliant. Best one so far by a country mile. Extremely un-marvel to be honest, which probably helps

Homecoming is better than previous Spiderman films

17 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

I didn't know you were doing this Ben and coincidentally I just started myself. I've always been bored by superhero movies (when the X-Men started) and then Hollywood started making basically nothing else. 

I'm going off the order in this article which says the best way to watch them is in the order they were released. 

Iron Man - ok, lots of action pretty silly 
Hulk with Ed Norton - the article says to avoid this so I skipped it!
Iron Man 2 - again OK. Found myself scrolling on my phone but it passes a couple of hours
Thor - I did't watch by mistake but I didn't miss much by all accounts
CA - 1st Avenger - OK - bit of a struggle to stick with
Avengers - Pretty fun
Iron Man 3 - From silliness now trying to be more serious - meh
Thor Dark World - very hard work
Winter Soldier - I had fun
Guardians of the Galaxy - I actually watched this when it 1st came out for some reason and I thought it was alright. Thought a lot less of it 2nd time
Age of Ultron - Pretty good!
Ant Man - Missed it but will watch at some point as it's meant to be fun
Civil War - Really good - I'm actually interested now in the overall plot to see where it goes.

All in all, I think I get now why people are into it. It's a bit like a Doctor Who-esque Universe. Lords, Demi Gods, different dimensions and instead of a main protagonist like the Dr, it's a team and that brings politics into it as their relationships develop. Then there's the over-reaching story arc over multiple films like the Dr. Who series (Bad Wolf etc.)

Dr. Strange up next.

I think you’ve missed the first Avengers film - edit no you haven’t ignore me 

Edited by mikeyp102

11 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

There's on one Transformers film...

The Transformers: The Movie (1986) - IMDb

Birthday last year we hired out a small cinema in London so I could screen my DVD. Bloody fantastic it was.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Looks alright, written by terrance winter (sopranos) zach baylin (king Richard) produced by marleys family, Jeremy kleiner (12 years a slave, moonlight) and dede Gardner from plan B (selma, 12 years a slave, big short, minari)  so it's definitely got a team behind it

Need to watch the marley documentary again

• Like 1

On 10/06/2023 at 13:31, useless said:

MV5BYTg2ZmExYmUtNDM3MS00ODhjLWJiNjAtMWEx

Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret (Kelly Fremon Craig) - Great film, as the feel of a future family classic.

Cheers,  just watched this on your recommendation,  entertaining,  funny.

• Like 1

On 04/07/2023 at 22:01, Designer1 said:

#metoo

Started well, went a bit weak in the middle but finished  strong and a touching thoughtful end

we thoroughly enjoyed it

• Like 1

Ridley Scot. Joaquin Phoenix. 

Should be epic.

I seem to recall Kubrick was touted for a Napoleon biopic an age ago. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Ridley Scot. Joaquin Phoenix. 

Should be epic.

I seem to recall Kubrick was touted for a Napoleon biopic an age ago. 

How on earth do you depict 20 years of napoleons life from the revolution, the battle of the pyramids, austerlitz, grand army invasion of Russia, exile to Elba, return and Waterloo in one film and it not be a rushed mess?

• Like 1

Watched Rupert  Everett's portrayal of Oscar Wilde in The Happy Prince. Enjoyed it far more than the Stephen Fry version. The only blemish was Tom Wilkinson's terrible Irish accent as the priest. 

The film certainly confirms that nobody does hypocrisy quite like the British. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â