The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Watched Blade tonight for the first time in years.

So 90s it hurts, so much cheese, bad CGI, barely has a plot, Wesley Snipes has at least 5 moments where he breaks 3.9999 walls... But it's so **** good. So much fun, Snipes iconic and effortlessly cool, everyone having a blast in this daft action movie that takes itself just seriously enough to sell itself but still understanding it's really, really, really silly.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chindie said:

So 90s it hurts, so much cheese, bad CGI, barely has a plot, Wesley Snipes has at least 5 moments where he breaks 3.9999 walls... But it's so **** good. So much fun, Snipes iconic and effortlessly cool, everyone having a blast in this daft action movie that takes itself just seriously enough to sell itself but still understanding it's really, really, really silly.

Love the first and second one for different reasons and would struggle to pick a favourite. The third one was absolutely awful though.

Second watch of this gem last night...

spacer.png

Just utterly, utterly brilliant. Quite surreal, very touching and I don't think another film has made me laugh so much for years.

Superb.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Chindie said:

Funnily enough, I watched Blade 2 last night and had similar thoughts. Seriously cool film and forgot how good him out of Bros was in it 

On 22/01/2023 at 11:51, Designer1 said:

Second watch of this gem last night...

spacer.png

Just utterly, utterly brilliant. Quite surreal, very touching and I don't think another film has made me laugh so much for years.

Superb.

Watched this a couple of month ago. Really brilliant. 

It's David Earl playing the same character he's been playing for the last 10 years. But he's **** good at it.

Very funny

• Like 1

On 20/01/2023 at 23:43, jim said:

Just finished the menu. Not entirely sure what we just watched.

I watched this it was such a wierd film. Literally made no sense.

Spoiler

Make me a good burger oh yes yummy it tasted good. Ok you can live everyone dies and the rest of us will accept our death. Very realistic 👌 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I watched this it was such a wierd film. Literally made no sense.

Reveal hidden contents

Make me a good burger oh yes yummy it tasted good. Ok you can live everyone dies and the rest of us will accept our death. Very realistic 👌 

In a nutshell the whole movie is an attack on the ridiculous elitism within the fine dining community.

Spoiler

The Chef now hates what he does and what he has become as although it's made him rich, and succesful he's now depressed and 'empty' with no passion for the food he creates.

Anya Taylor Joy's character who wasn't supposed to be there represents a time when he (The Chef) was happy making people happy with his simple food - hence the burger and the shot of his younger self as a fast food chef.

It also has a very cynical, almost surreal look and feel which doubles down on the absurdity of the diners and the dishes served.

There's plenty more to unpack but that's the basics that I took from it.

Edited by Designer1
Added extra spoiler
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Designer1 said:

In a nutshell the whole movie is an attack on the ridiculous elitism within the fine dining community.

Hide contents

The Chef now hates what he does and what he has become as although it's made him rich, and succesful he's now depressed and 'empty' with no passion for the food he creates.

Anya Taylor Joy's character who wasn't supposed to be there represents a time when he (The Chef) was happy making people happy with his simple food - hence the burger and the shot of his younger self as a fast food chef.

It also has a very cynical, almost surreal look and feel which doubles down on the absurdity of the diners and the dishes served.

There's plenty more to unpack but that's the basics that I took from it.

Did you find the film enjoyable?

I mean what i found extra wierd was

Spoiler

Why all his kitchen staff were ok to either kill themselves or just go down in flames with him.

Sorry to quote myself but @Demitri_C, I went over the Menu and it's themes last week which may help.

On 16/01/2023 at 11:32, Chindie said:

Re the Menu...

Hide contents

Its not supposed to be considered with realism in mind, it's more a contained fable to portray a message. With that in mind...

• The staff aren't really the point, but the film implies they also buy into the thing that's made their boss go homicidal. And they're basically a cult.
  • The guests all are given death sentences because they represent either things that drove the chef to hate his craft, and/or they betray their own craft, and/or are 'bad' people. The critic set him in the path to hating his work, used her work to ruin other people on a whim, and has lost any sense of the art in her work by boiling it down to nitpicking. The actor is washed up and just doing jobs for the money without any effort or appreciation of the quality of what he's doing - he's betrayed his craft. And he ruined the chefs enjoyment of a moment of time off with it, for a petty argument to kill him. The PA is a privileged rich girl who has been handed everything she wants and tosses aside anything when better arises - the chef has had to work for his efforts and hates her for it. The rich man and his wife are the chefs best customers, but they don't appreciate his work, they just go to the restaurant because they can afford to and don't really care about the food, to the extent that they can't even remember it, when for a normal person that is a meal of a lifetime.
  • The chef is very rich, a coastguard boat isn't beyond the realms of possiblity to buy.
  • The foodie doesn't really believe he's going to die, or he's so obsessed with experiencing the best if the food world he is blinded to the fact he's going to be dead at the end of it. The chef then eviscerates him by showing he talks a good game but doesn't have any concept of the work to achieve it. That then brings his whole world down, that his obsession, the thing he's defined himself as a person on is chopped away, his idol actively hates him and what he represents, and he tops himself, perhaps to add to the patheticness of him we can infer that his idol instructs him to kill himself and he just goes and does it in his shame.

As said, the whole thing is basically a black comedy fable commenting on various kinds of classism, the worth of things versus their costs, the pretentiousness of high art... Its not to be taken as purely real.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Watched this the other day

MV5BYzUxZDI3MjktZmM4YS00MzdjLWE5MzctMmI4

I'd actually never seen it, despite loving "Suddenly Seymour" which is an absolute banger.

Film was really good, although I thought the third act was quite weak which stopped it being great

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Watched this the other day

MV5BYzUxZDI3MjktZmM4YS00MzdjLWE5MzctMmI4

I'd actually never seen it, despite loving "Suddenly Seymour" which is an absolute banger.

Film was really good, although I thought the third act was quite weak which stopped it being great

Which version did you watch? There are two versions with completely different endings.

2 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

spacer.png

Not very often I walk out the cinema before a movie ends but an hour or so of this smashing into my face was enough.

Massive potential thoroughly wasted.

Almost happy to hear this.

I had Sunday to myself (a rare occasion these days) and was thinking of seeing this given it was the only film on at the right time at my cinema. The running time put me off completely so I didn't go. Not because I don't like long films, but more that I only had 5 hours free and including travel there and back this would have taken up the vast majority of that time

12 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Which version did you watch? There are two versions with completely different endings.

Oh that's interesting.

I watched the one where 

Spoiler

once the plant has eaten Audrey and Seymour you just see a montage of the plants taking over the world and then it ends. Which was my biggest issue with it

Edit: ok I've just read the wiki and yeah the ending that's described there is absolutely nothing like what I saw :D 

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Oh that's interesting.

I watched the one where 

Hide contents

once the plant has eaten Audrey and Seymour you just see a montage of the plants taking over the world and then it ends. Which was my biggest issue with it

Edit: ok I've just read the wiki and yeah the ending that's described there is absolutely nothing like what I saw :D 

Yeah, the one you watched is the original director’s version, the one that I believe is how the original stage musical plays out. I think that’s the one that is now more readily available.

I loved Little Shop as a kid, but I was only aware of the theatrical version, not this original cut you’ve watched.

I only found out about this original version about 4 years ago. I found it incredibly jarring watching it but being the original ending and truer to the stage version, there are those who prefer it. 

Basically test audiences hated the original ending (really hated it by the sounds of it) so they felt they had to change it. 

Spoiler

From what I’ve read about it, there was a sense in the stage version, Seymour is a little less sympathetic than Rick Moranis is on screen, so the audience is happier for him to be eaten.

Also, Frank Oz says that audiences in the stage version get to see the actors at the end of the show, they come back on the stage for a curtain bow and everything is hunky dory. Obviously that doesn’t happen in a film version. He thinks that was big factor in the different reactions.

Edited by Mark Albrighton
  • Like 1

On 22/01/2023 at 00:58, Chindie said:

I did martial arts for 18 years and regardless of any acting ability (which I didn't think he was too bad at tbf), growing up Wesley Snipes was right up there with my favourite screen practitioners. His combination of poise and power were incredible. 

34 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Yeah, the one you watched is the original director’s version, the one that I believe is how the original stage musical plays out. I think that’s the one that is now more readily available.

I loved Little Shop as a kid, but I was only aware of the theatrical version, not this original cut you’ve watched.

I only found out about this original version about 4 years ago. I found it incredibly jarring watching it but being the original ending and truer to the stage version, there are those who prefer it. 

Basically test audiences hated the original ending (really hated it by the sounds of it) so they felt they had to change it. 

Hide contents

From what I’ve read about it, there was a sense in the stage version, Seymour is a little less sympathetic than Rick Moranis is on screen, so the audience is happier for him to be eaten.

Also, Frank Oz says that audiences in the stage version get to see the actors at the end of the show, they come back on the stage for a curtain bow and everything is hunky dory. Obviously that doesn’t happen in a film version. He thinks that was big factor in the different reactions.

Yeah...

Spoiler

It wasn't so much the tone of the ending I didn't like. I like darker endings to stuff so the fact it wasn't a happy ending wasn't the problem.
My issue was that it was so abrupt. It's a spectacular sequence but it's done almost like an epilogue. It felt like 2 acts are done full length and then the final act is just tagged on at the end

Edited by Stevo985

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â