The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

1 hour ago, leemond2008 said:

A woman in a red dress with an axe over her shoulder

Massive shift from X but I thoroughly enjoyed it, Mia Goth is absolutely brilliant as both Pearl and Maxine.

Ti West has done a really good job of capturing the feel of the year (1918) the whole film is a lot more colourful, it has a completely different feel to X, after watching it, I reckon they could squeeze out another prequel, it almost feels like it has only told half of the origin story...I'm not sure if it would work or even what the appetite for it would be, I think I really just want to see Mia Goth as Pearl again.

There is a scene towards the end where she dives into a long monologue which is brilliant.

Not sure what people would think of it who aren't invested in the X franchise, if you are interested in Pearl's origins though, you won't be disappointed.

Good to hear. 

Watched Barbarian and thought it was good fun. A little daft but it's a horror so that's to be expected. They did a good job with it tho.

Also watched Don't Worry Darling and whilst I did enjoy it and it's a good film, I couldn't help feel it was a missed opportunity to make a great film. Felt like it was missing something. Maybe it would have been better suited as a TV series where there's more time to flesh out the narrative, characters and origins. Dunno. 

Edited by PieFacE

24 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Really disappointed with Barbarian.

Strong start and then a story I've seen done countless times and in much better ways.

Wasted opportunity. 

Yeah, as I said, it was alright, nothing special, I wasn't bored during it and it was done well enough.

Agreed on the strong start, Skarsgard had me genuinely questioning his character, I get what you are saying about the second half being done countless times, I still think that Justin Longs character saved that section of the film.

It was probably a victim of its own hype, its been getting glowing reviews so expectations were high for it.

Watched 3 films this weekend, 2 at the cinema and 1 on Netflix. Black Adam which I thought was pretty shit but still enjoyable switch your brain off nonsense 6/10. All quiet on the western front which was brilliant 8/10. The Banshees of Inisherin which was also brilliant 8.5/10

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Banshees of Ininserin is superb. Martin Mcdonagh is just flawless. Haven't seen 7 Psychopaths but his others are all magnificent and this might be the best one yet

7 Psychopaths is very good too but probably my least favourite of his films

Following others, another thumbs up for “The Banshees of Inisherin”. It’s Martin McDonagh’s best since “In Bruges”. Has a vibe of his brother’s also excellent “Calvary”. 

Can’t add much more, other than there are real moments of levity (myself and the two other people in cinema were laughing pretty much throughout). Farrell and Gleeson, as expected fantastic, but really enjoyable performance from Barry Keoghan and, particularly Kerry Condon. I think I could watch her going from being quietly contemplative to explosively pissed off for a whole two hours. Best supporting actress nod nailed on, if there’s any justice.

Oh and Pat Shortt and Gary Lyndon, doing what they do in these McDonagh brother films, always so watchable when they’re on screen.

• Like 1

w1500_957743.jpg

The Man Who Sleeps (Bernard Queysanne and Georges Perec) -  A hypnotic solo by its mute hero, a young man who decides to withdraw from the world and whose mental journal of his experience is confided to us by a girl’s voice off-screen, Un homme qui dort is an astonishing tour de force - Great film with great narration from Shelley Duvall.

birds2-1200-1200-675-675-crop-000000.jpg

The Birds (Alfred Hitchcock) - There are quite a few other Hitchcock films I prefer, but this was still very good.

On 05/11/2022 at 09:57, useless said:

w1500_957743.jpg

The Man Who Sleeps (Bernard Queysanne and Georges Perec) -  A hypnotic solo by its mute hero, a young man who decides to withdraw from the world and whose mental journal of his experience is confided to us by a girl’s voice off-screen, Un homme qui dort is an astonishing tour de force - Great film with great narration from Shelley Duvall.

birds2-1200-1200-675-675-crop-000000.jpg

The Birds (Alfred Hitchcock) - There are quite a few other Hitchcock films I prefer, but this was still very good.

The birds used to terrify me as a child

Looking for some leftfield horror suggestions please.  Wife and I started doing Halloween weekend horror marathons couple years back and we've got this year's slightly delayed (due to hols) one coming up this week.  The format is we fold out the sofa-bed in front of the telly, order pizza and watch as many back-to-back horror films as possible, mostly stuff we've never seen with maybe one familiar favourite and one comedy as a palate cleanser.

So far, this year's plan is:

• The Entity
  • [•REC]
  • Train To Busan
  • Pit And The Pendulum

...with Hocus Pocus 2 to break up the bleakness.

Hit me with your best shots please, chaps.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

Looking for some leftfield horror suggestions please.  Wife and I started doing Halloween weekend horror marathons couple years back and we've got this year's slightly delayed (due to hols) one coming up this week.  The format is we fold out the sofa-bed in front of the telly, order pizza and watch as many back-to-back horror films as possible, mostly stuff we've never seen with maybe one familiar favourite and one comedy as a palate cleanser.

• The Entity
  • [•REC]
  • Train To Busan
  • Pit And The Pendulum

I really need to put together a horror list for stuff like this.

There's just so many...

39 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

• The Entity
  • [•REC]
  • Train To Busan
  • Pit And The Pendulum

Here's 50 (thank McGrath I keep a list of everything I watch 😄) - most of these are lesser known but I'd recommend every single one.

Possessor
Spring
Resolution
The Endless
The Wind
The Borderlands
One Cut of the Dead
Slapface
As Above So Below
Grave Encounters
Creep
Creep 2
The Ruins
Blood on Satan’s Claw
The Sadness
The Loved Ones
Mum and Dad
You are not my Mother
The Innocents
The Lodge
Moloch
Frontiers
Bull
Let Us Prey
Deadstream
Hell House LLC
Absentia
Random Acts of Violence
Killing Ground
Don’t Listen
The Queen of Black Magic
The Dark and the Wicked
Saint Maud
Pyewacket
A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night
The Last Shift
Lake Mungo
Nobody Leaves
Censor
The Invitation (2015)
Circle
Would You Rather
Jakobs Wife
Caveat
Haunt
The Canal
Anything for Jackson
No One Gets Out Alive
1BR
Speak No Evil

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â