The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Charles+Laughton+Witness+for+the+Prosecu

Witness for the Prosecution - I really enjoyed this film a lot, was great anyway but the ending makes it even better, brilliant peformance by Charles Laughton, and also Marlene Dietrich, and Tyrone Power, Elsa Lanchester was great too in a more comical role.

• Like 1

Little Girl GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

New Alien movie in the works from Don't Breathe director is "closer to its genre roots"

Don't Breathe and Evil Dead (2013) director Fede Álvarez is helming the new Alien

A new Alien movie is in the works with Don't Breathe director Fede Álvarez at the helm and Ridley Scott producing.

From THR, the new Alien movie is being developed as a standalone entry in the prolific sci-fi horror franchise, which was birthed in 1979 with the release of the original Alien, starring Sigourney Weaver. Alien is often considered one of the best horror movies of all time, but its many sequels - some more successful than others - have failed to command the same legacy. THR's sources describe the upcoming Alien movie as "unconnected" to the earlier movies.

Reportedly being developed for Hulu, the next entry in the Alien series sounds like it could be a return to the series' horror roots. Álvarez isn't only known for the acclaimed horror Don't Breathe, but also the 2013 reboot of Evil Dead, which completely ditched the silly, comedic aspects of the original Evil Dead movies for pure, unadulterated frights. If the director's prior work is any indication, we could be seeing Xenomorph in our nightmares once again.

Further to the point, THR spoke with 20th Century exec Steve Asbell about the new Alien and was told it was picked up "purely off the strength of Fede's pitch," and that because it's being made for Hulu instead of theaters, there's less pressure to appeal to general audiences the way you might for a theatrical release. "It's not a film that has to be all things to all people with those gargantuan budgets. They get to be authentically what they are. And this is closer to its genre roots," Asbell said.

https://www.gamesradar.com/new-alien-movie-in-the-works-from-dont-breathe-director-is-closer-to-its-genre-roots/

• Like 2

I noticed that BBC2 on Friday, they were showing the Lavender Hill Mob, a film I hadn't seen in 4 decades but sadly it was during my working day so I couldn't watch it. I streamed it yesterday and it brought back memories of love for the Ealing comedies. Fantastic, no fat in it at all just a great story, well told. 

Similarly, whilst watching it, Passport to Pimlico was bing broadcast and again prompted, I will be watching that today. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

I noticed that BBC2 on Friday, they were showing the Lavender Hill Mob, a film I hadn't seen in 4 decades but sadly it was during my working day so I couldn't watch it. I streamed it yesterday and it brought back memories of love for the Ealing comedies. Fantastic, no fat in it at all just a great story, well told. 

Similarly, whilst watching it, Passport to Pimlico was bing broadcast and again prompted, I will be watching that today. 

The man in the white suit is on iPlayer too👌

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

The man in the white suit is on iPlayer too👌

Watching the LHM I saw that it contained briefly, an early appearance of a young Audrey Hepburn. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Watching the LHM I saw that it contained briefly, an early appearance of a young Audrey Hepburn. 

Never knew that, haven't watched it for some time. I could watch almost all ealing comedies anytime and still love them.

Edit

@Seat68 as you are into this sort of thing, there is a very good old documentary about the life of Margaret Rutherford free on Amazon prime if you have that. It is well worth a watch, joy, sadness and mystery in real life.

Edited by Phil Silvers
  • Thanks 1

Finally got round to watching Her. It was glorious - Phoenix was just sensational. I couldn't believe the film was 9 years old, it hasn't aged at all & felt extremely current.

• Like 2

I just binged TLOTR trilogy. Seen it all before. Enjoyed this round. I'd love to watch a documentary on how they did it. 

Great achievement in cinema history. And the balls to make all three at once..

Great acting performances, throughout. Hard to think of a single bad performance.

I wonder where they went on that boat at the end?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, maqroll said:

I just binged TLOTR trilogy. Seen it all before. Enjoyed this round. I'd love to watch a documentary on how they did it. 

There's about 30 million hours of bonus content on the LOTR DVDs. I'm sure there must be some sort of "Making of" documentary on there somewhere :D 

Just now, Stevo985 said:

There's about 30 million hours of bonus content on the LOTR DVDs. I'm sure there must be some sort of "Making of" documentary on there somewhere :D 

Yeah, I mean more of like a retrospective made by someone else. Including the controversial stuff.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Great acting performances, throughout. Hard to think of a single bad performance.

I assume the extended editions?

It's been a while since i read the books, but if i remember correctly the elves are going on the boats to some elven land and leaving Middle-Earth for the age of men.

Just now, ender4 said:

It's been a while since i read the books, but if i remember correctly the elves are going on the boats to some elven land and leaving Middle-Earth for the age of men.

Nope, originals. I didn't like the extended bits.

I read the books about 35 years ago. Forgot most of it.

• Confused 1

39 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Just an additional 45 minutes extra footage per film. The extended footage could be a good length movie in it's own right. Been a while since I watched it and remember finding it interesting but easy to understand why it was cut out. 

2 hours ago, maqroll said:

I watched the extended trilogy last year, fantastically entertaining stuff.

The answer to your question is a sad one I'm afraid, they were heading towards the amazon prime production bunker.

Edited by Phil Silvers
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, maqroll said:

They're travelling to Valinor, the homeland of the Elves and where the 'gods' of the world reside - essentially heaven. No other beings can go there - Gandalf is essentially an angel (as are the other wizards, and interestingly Sauron and the Balrogs as well...) and Valinor is his home, but Bilbo and Frodo are given the honour of being allowed to go there as they had been ring bearers. Sam eventually also went there at the end of his life, and Gimli went with Legolas when he chose to leave Middle-earth.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, maqroll said:

Yeah, I mean more of like a retrospective made by someone else. Including the controversial stuff.

What was the controversial stuff? Did Legolas & Gimli take their relationship to another level.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, ender4 said:

What was the controversial stuff? Did Legolas & Gimli take their relationship to another level.

I'm thinking more about clashes with the Weinsteins and the decisions to drop key plot elements and characters.

Or anything else, really. Disputes with actors, replacing the original Aragorn 3 weeks into the shoot, location problems, whatever.

3 hours ago, maqroll said:

I've still never watched these, no idea why

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â