The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

6 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Saint Maud was an interesting take on palliative care mixed with religious fanaticism/mental health issues. 

not a cheery watch but decent for a low budget British film. 

i doubt the Scarborough Tourism Board were that enamoured either :D

I think I recommended this earlier in the thread. I thought it was excellent. Really interesting, slow burn psychological drama.

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 1

On 24/04/2021 at 23:33, Bizzzle said:

Mortal Kombat was pretty shit but pretty enjoyable at the same time. Probably give it 6.5/10

This about sums it up. I would stretch to 7

Kills a couple of hours nicely

Citizen Kane has slipped from its 100 per cent rating on Rotten Tomatoes after a review from 80 years ago was added to the site.

The Orson Welles classic – which is commonly praised as the greatest film of all time – has famously held a 100 per cent rating on the review-aggregator website, until recently.

The 1941 film now has a 99 per cent rating – meaning that Paddington 2 has surpassed Citizen Kane on Rotten Tomatoes.

The live-action sequel quickly became a fan-favourite when it was released in 2017. The film, starring Hugh Grant and Sally Hawkins, also received overwhelmingly positive reviews from critics and amassed a 100 per cent score on Rotten Tomatoes.

Independent

Edited by mjmooney
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

We are doomed and have been for a long time.

Au contraire. Citizen Kane is a very good movie, but its status as The Greatest Of All Time has definitely been somewhat overhyped. 

Paddington 2, on the other hand is perfection in filmmaking, and fully deserving of the Number One slot. 

And regular readers of this thread will know I'm not even joking. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Nah, it's the one where Paddington's future son Paddington Jr sends a re-programmed Paddington android back in time to free Paddington from an asylum and save himself from an evil Paddington android from the future.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Is Paddington 2 the one where Paddington assumes his father's powerful position in the family whilst gradually losing his humanity to power's all consuming thrall?

No that is The Passion Of The Christ.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Is Paddington 2 the one where Paddington assumes his father's powerful position in the family whilst gradually losing his humanity to power's all consuming thrall?

Nope. Its the one where he goes to 2015 to stop his future cub from making a big mistake and then ends up in an alternate 1985 where his Mom is married to an arsehole. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Nah, it's the one where Paddington gives up his superpowers for the sake of his true love, but at the same time three criminals with a weird obsession about kneeling escape from his home country of Peru and arrive at Windsor Gardens to try and conquer London. 

• Like 1

Nah, Paddington 2 is the one where the scrappy upstart bear works against the cynical machinations of the Washington machine to get the evil cosmetics multinational to stop animal testing through passing an inspiring piece of legislation.

I’m a bit surprised that Citizen Kane only received one negative review all those years ago. I would have thought Hearst would have seen to it that it would receive a fair bit of negative press.

I wouldn’t call Citizen Kane the greatest ever, I think being so highly regarded for such a long time it’s going to inevitably create some backlash. But it’s obviously a classic. It seems that there’s loads of technical stuff that became common place but at the time was really innovative. 

Plus when the simpsons (when it was good) referenced it as often as it did, it’s got to have done something right.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â