The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Watched soul yesterday the new pixar film which they've released straight to disney+ rather than the cinema 

Same as onwards its good and worth a watch but it doesn't hit their dizzying heights and feel like an instant classic, the measuring stick for them is probably unfair 

First film of theirs where I've thought the voice acting wasn't top notch, foxx isn't always that great imo the rest of the cast is though 

• Like 1

Unless you are madly in love with Chloe Grace-Moretz then Shadow in the Clouds probably isn't for you. The movie is basically 95% close ups of her face with her sitting in a WW2 bomber mixed with 5% of that Twilight Zone episode with a Gremlin on the plane wing. It's really, really bad :D 

The US version of Parasite is going to be a television series on HBO, also directed by Bong Joon-ho, and is apparently going to be an expansion of the original story rather than a remake.

Some of the best or more interesting television shows in recent years like the new season of Twin Peaks, Too Old Too Die Young, and Tokyo Vampire Hotel have all been directed in their entirety by directors that normally work in the movies and have the feel of a long film in parts, Fanny and Alexander would be an older example, and Joon-ho has said that he wants the television version to be like that, so I've got hopes that it will be good.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I watched another film last night. American Assassin.

Pretty standard sort of action movie with veteran hard man teaming up with wild card new boy hard man to work secretly for them U.S. to take down some baddies.

It was pretty standard, right up to the end.

I’ll put the end in spoilers...

Spoiler

Veteran good guy is captured and has his arm broken in a vice, then he has it cut open, then he’s tortured with a blow torch on hos arm then he has his finger nails pulled out.

However, he manages to break free, get a gun and shoot everyone with his broken stabbed burned finger nailless arm.

He gets a helicopter ride... more of that later.

New good guy has to stop a nuclear bomb exploding, the timer is set to 30 minutes, they are in Rome but the bad guy’s plan is to take it out to sea and blow up the US Navy in the Med.

Shouldn’t be too tricky, 30 minutes to get from central Rome underground lair, to the US fleet 25 miles out to sea.

Bad guy gets on a speedboat and heads off up a canal. Good guy chases him on foot, catches up and jumps on the boat.

Out to sea, good guy throws the nuclear bomb in the sea, it goes off and causes a tidal wave and a mushrooms cloud. The explosion tips over and destroys some of the US Navy fleet. However, luckily, the helicopter pilot is skilled enough to ride out the shock wave and mushroom cloud.

Absolute towering pile of shite.

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I watched another film last night. American Assassin.

Pretty standard sort of action movie with veteran hard man teaming up with wild card new boy hard man to work secretly for them U.S. to take down some baddies.

It was pretty standard, right up to the end.

I’ll put the end in spoilers...

Reveal hidden contents

Veteran good guy is captured and has his arm broken in a vice, then he has it cut open, then he’s tortured with a blow torch on hos arm then he has his finger nails pulled out.

However, he manages to break free, get a gun and shoot everyone with his broken stabbed burned finger nailless arm.

He gets a helicopter ride... more of that later.

New good guy has to stop a nuclear bomb exploding, the timer is set to 30 minutes, they are in Rome but the bad guy’s plan is to take it out to sea and blow up the US Navy in the Med.

Shouldn’t be too tricky, 30 minutes to get from central Rome underground lair, to the US fleet 25 miles out to sea.

Bad guy gets on a speedboat and heads off up a canal. Good guy chases him on foot, catches up and jumps on the boat.

Out to sea, good guy throws the nuclear bomb in the sea, it goes off and causes a tidal wave and a mushrooms cloud. The explosion tips over and destroys some of the US Navy fleet. However, luckily, the helicopter pilot is skilled enough to ride out the shock wave and mushroom cloud.

Absolute towering pile of shite.

I’ve read the book and no surprise Hollywood completely changed it and not for the better (not that the source material would win any literary awards either, but it was an easy read!) 

I agree the film was a steaming pile of dog dirt. 

14 hours ago, theboyangel said:

I have just watched one of the most gonzoid Nick Cage does Nick Cage.movies, Mandy. An LSD drenched, neon lit homage to 80s revenge slasher flicks. 

Typically Cage ramps this up to 11 and more!

Utterly bonkers 

Been meaning to watch that, you have inspired me to go looking for it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Tried to watch Nomadland but ended up turning it off, was a bit dull. Wasn't really in the mood for it. 

Really looking forward to that one. I assume you watched it on the erm...high seas?

3 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Really looking forward to that one. I assume you watched it on the erm...high seas?

Correct :D 

From watching the trailer it looked like my kind of film, but for whatever reason I couldn't get into it. 

Top twelve favorite first watch films in 2019...

Night of the Hunter
Labyrinth of Cinema
La Cérémonie
Edvard Munch
The Umbrellas of Cherbourg
Love and Peace
A Matter of Life and Death
By The Time It Gets Dark
Long Journey into the Night
Barry Lyndon
Solaris (1972)
Le Pont du Nord

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â