The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

1 minute ago, A'Villan said:

Thanks for the shout out. Tarantino's dialogues are always contentious, dramatic, and provocative. Both actors delivered the goods in portraying the script.

Without doubt, one of the finest scenes in movie history. 

10 hours ago, A'Villan said:

Thanks for the shout out. Tarantino's dialogues are always contentious, dramatic, and provocative. Both actors delivered the goods in portraying the script.

Apparently, he demands that the actors stick to the script verbatim. Undoubtedly, a great talent, but boy, what an ego. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sheepyvillian said:

Apparently, he demands that the actors stick to the script verbatim. Undoubtedly, a great talent, but boy, what an ego. 

Maybe on the script but Di caprio cutting his hand on the glass in django is some of the best ad libbing I know about 

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Maybe on the script but Di caprio cutting his hand on the glass in django is some of the best ad libbing I know about 

It wasn't so much ad libbing. He inadvertently cut his hand, but managed to stay in character. The wiping of the blood on Kerry Washington's face was not in the script, hence the shock in her expression. Apparently, when the scene was over, Di Caprio was given a standing ovation by everyone on the set. 

We were seemingly on a bit of a streak with film-watching over the last few weekends, prior to Upgrade we'd made our way through the excellent Blue Ruin and underrated Lord of War (you know, real feel-good stuff). 

Then we decided it might be fun to watch Hackers through the lens of the modern day...

Crowd Reaction Of Undertaker's Wrestlemania Loss To Brock Lesnar ...

My wife and I haven't spoken since.

• Haha 1

On 05/08/2020 at 08:51, Rolta said:

I think it makes so much difference knowing about the murders before seeing the film. It's kind of the whole point. I was tense throughout knowing what was going to happen, but mainly wondering why he would make a film about something so horrible. When the ending happened the shock and surprise I felt at his treatment of it was the level of mind-blown wonder I haven't had watching a film since I was a kid. It was incredible—and made it for me easily his best film. I think there's a very profound impression given by the film about the nature of cinema, especially his kind of escapist, cinematic artifice. I don't want to sound too pretentious, but it's in there, but ultimately the ending also gives this bittersweet, tragic feeling because, for however satisfying it is—it's just not true. That's some powerful emotion. 

I genuinely loved it. It's one of the best, most unique films I've seen in years—especially a film on that scale. Sure it's a bit slow at times, but, as I say, when you know about the Manson murders, that slow burn has this tense, ironic layer because you just know what's coming. Or you thought you knew what was coming, but it definitely didn't play out that way.

And the performances were phenomenal. I'm not even a massive Tarantino fan but that film is great.

Being a bit of a Dennis Wilson anorak, I know plenty about the Cielo Drive murders. I also recently read the book "Chaos" which covers Manson in detail (amazing book BTW).

The ending really wasn't what I was expecting (obviously) but I **** loved it.

• Like 2

On 05/08/2020 at 08:51, Rolta said:

I think it makes so much difference knowing about the murders before seeing the film. It's kind of the whole point. 

I genuinely loved it. It's one of the best, most unique films I've seen in years—especially a film on that scale. Sure it's a bit slow at times, but, as I say, when you know about the Manson murders, that slow burn has this tense, ironic layer because you just know what's coming. Or you thought you knew what was coming, but it definitely didn't play out that way.

And the performances were phenomenal. I'm not even a massive Tarantino fan but that film is great.

For me, if the film is supposed to be about the murders than all of the stuff with Di Caprio is filler. 

I don’t doubt the performances which are very good.

The film is just very meh and after hateful eight another nod to Tarantino believing his own hype and creating a film about nothing with over blown dialogue.

Ive read bits a pieces about its social commentary and showing a passing of an age ect. That wasn’t clear for me and I found the story I was watching boring.

A deeply shit piece of news:

Disney have decided not to release anything on 4k from either their back catalogue or Fox's (which also includes Fox Searchlight). There are a tiny number of exceptions for superhero stuff and maybe some James Cameron films because they want to sweeten him up because they *do* want to release Avator on 4k.

Edited by HanoiVillan

8 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Watched The Tax Collector yesterday and it was "meh". Was pretty awful tbh, complete nothing film. Surprised Shia LaBeouf signed onto it as I've quite liked a lot of his films as of late. 

I take it you’ve seen the Peanut Butter Falcon? (Currently on Netflix)

The Beef was very good in the that! 

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â