The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Indie sci-fi flick made on a shoestring budget. Not bad at all, not great either but worth the watch.

It's very much an homage to The Twilight Zone and stuff like that and it plays like a extended ep of that show.

Solid 6/10 but I'll give it a 6.5/10 considering it only cost something like $700.000 to make.

The Vast of Night Poster

• Like 1

On 05/06/2020 at 18:03, sne said:

Vivarium was a bit shit.

Like an extended episode of The Twilight Zone or Black Mirror, only there is nothing in it.

Tries to be weird and trippy but is just a big meh. Ended up skipping through it towards the end just to get it over with.

5/10, don't bother.

I'm still angry at that film. What a piece of shit.

Films like that go nowhere like that shouldn't be allowed to be made. What a total waste of two hours. It's like they lost the script so just ended with what they had.

On 06/06/2020 at 21:00, sharkyvilla said:

Watching Jurassic World 2 again and it really is a shit film.

Not even one of those so bad it's sort of enjoyable and fun films. Crap.

JP one of my favourites. 2 and 3 have that nostalgia feel for me where I enjoyed the blockbuster nature of them when I watched them. All of those early three are better than the new ones IMO.

Watched a star is born, really enjoyed it despite not thinking that I would, right up until the end... 

Spoiler

It didn't sell me on the suicide at all, didn't build it up enough or make it seem desperate enough 

Acting was top notch, characters were good, songs were even pretty decent 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Watched a star is born, really enjoyed it despite not thinking that I would, right up until the end... 

Hide contents

It didn't sell me on the suicide at all, didn't build it up enough or make it seem desperate enough 

I agree on the film. It was good and Lady Gaga has that quirky beauty, that would still make me ask her to peg me behind a tram stop.

Spoiler

Regarding the suicide. I think it was done right. I think the suddeness of it made it resonate more with me.

• Haha 3

Said to the wife I obviously know who lady gaga is, seen her loads of times on TV, papers, music videos, interweb etc she's one of the most famous singers on the planet... And yet I genuinely didn't know what she looked like... I wouldn't recognise her in the street 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Reveal hidden contents

I agree, especially on the spoiler, it actually took me out of the film a little as I was so baffled by it, it made little sense, but otherwise it was a really good film. 

Watched "Joy" last night , a rare film as Jennifer Lawrence doesn't get naked  in it , but I found myself really enjoying it , shame a subsequent google , seems to reveal it only has about 1% of truth to it , but for  a chick flick ( as Mrs H accused me of watching) I thought it was pretty good  ... bit like "pursuit of happiness " where you almost wanted to cheer out loud when they finally "make it "

i should add that the film synopsis said story about a woman who invents a daily item used by millions of women , so that plus the name Joy ,  convinced me to watch it as i was sure she was inventing the dildo

Edited by tonyh29
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Said to the wife I obviously know who lady gaga is, seen her loads of times on TV, papers, music videos, interweb etc she's one of the most famous singers on the planet... And yet I genuinely didn't know what she looked like... I wouldn't recognise her in the street 

You'd recognise her in a bar , she would be the one using the men's toilets :)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

Watched "Joy" last night , a rare film as Jennifer Lawrence doesn't get naked  in it , but I found myself really enjoying it , shame a subsequent google , seems to reveal it only has about 1% of truth to it , but for  a chick flick ( as Mrs H accused me of watching) I thought it was pretty good  ... bit like "pursuit of happiness " where you almost wanted to cheer out loud when they finally "make it "

i should add that the film synopsis said story about a woman who invents a daily item used by millions of women , so that plus the name Joy ,  convinced me to watch it as i was sure she was inventing the dildo

Yeah, I thought that was pretty good too. 'The Pursuit of Happyness' is the right comparison, they're very similar.

Caught the end of return of the king

Spoiler

Never understood why they changed it, should be Sam who pushed him in

The standard version is still dog shit but I'll watch it just for "you bow for no man" 

Edited by villa4europe

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

Jeez I thought The Raid was brutal.

Half gory horror , half martial arts masterpiece.

On Netflix .

The Night Comes for Us (2018) - Filmaffinity

Superb stuff.

Also recommend May the Devil Take You by the same director.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Designer1 said:

Superb stuff.

Also recommend May the Devil Take You by the same director.

I've never seen the brutality go up to 11 in a film like that before .

I knew from reviews it was supposed to be both bloody and amazing but that is under selling it.

That shit was insane !  I love that the sergeant from The Raid gets a bigger role too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brumerican said:

Jeez I thought The Raid was brutal.

Half gory horror , half martial arts masterpiece.

On Netflix .

The Night Comes for Us (2018) - Filmaffinity

It's good...

Headshot (also on Netflix) very good too, Iko Uwais is legit, Silat bad boy!

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

Watched Headshot this morning and really enjoyed that too although it is toned down in comparison to The Night Comes For Us.

Might have an Ip Man marathon today !

Wing Chun Ip Man GIFs | Tenor

The three legged guy is such a brilliantly simple effect.

• Thanks 1

What a time to be alive

‘Blasphemous’ Film ‘Habit’ Starring Paris Jackson as Jesus Sparks Petition to Block Release

Nearly 300,000 people have signed a petition aiming to block the release of the independent film “Habit,” starring Bella Thorne and Paris Jackson, in which Jackson plays a version of Jesus.

Thorne plays a street-smart, party girl who has a Jesus fetish and finds herself in a drug deal gone wrong. She’s able to escape danger by disguising herself as a nun. Multiple times in the film, Jackson appears as Jesus to her.

“A new blasphemous Hollywood film is predicted to come out soon depicting Jesus as a lesbian woman. The film ‘Habit’ stars Paris Jackson who plays the role of ‘lesbian Jesus.’ Distributors haven’t picked it up as of yet, so let’s please spread awareness and wake people up to the Christianophobic garbage that is spread nowadays, but is somehow accepted and praised by society,” reads the description of the petition.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/paris-jackson-jesus-habit-petition-1234698233/

Â