The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Watched Splice last night, quite an interesting film, bit uncomfortable at times but well worth a watch, opens up a few questions about the morals of playing god and altering the natural order of things.

Not as good as Hangover 2 though :thumb:

Watched Morning Glory (with Harrison Ford, Rachel McAdams and Jeff Goldbum) last night with the other half.

For a rom-com/couples film (not quite a chick-flick) it was pretty decent with some decent laughs, with Ford playing a brilliantly miserable serious journalist made to front a tacky morning TV show!

On March 31, Jeff Wells was told by Jill Jones, Summit's senior VP of international marketing and publicity, that Icon has lost the right to distribute The Tree of Life in the UK, due to defaulting on its agreement, with the matter pending arbitration at a tribunal in Los Angeles.[40] There is currently no confirmed date for its UK release.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tree_of_Life_(film)

Saw Rec2 last night. It's the first one almost all over again, but with a twist. Like them both a lot. The only two films of that kind that actually has frighten me a bit.

Watched Unknown last night.

Really recommend it, quite similar to taken in the way that you only know as much as the main character (liam neeson) knows, i think this works really well here and its a fast paced ride with a somewhat original story.

Oh and Diane Kruger is stunning (inglorious and troy)

8/10 from me.

Just watched this now, agree with everything you have said there. January Jones is quite tasty too.

I had nothing to do last night and wasn't tired so decided to rewatch a movie. Now I know I'm like a broken record going on about this but this is a long thread and some recommendations get missed or lost. But..

The New World, it is now tied with 12 Angry Men for me as the best film ever made. It's just stunning, truly stunning film. Beautifully shot, paced and edited and with a perfect score it's got that amazing ability to be more than the sum if its parts. It just washes over you, it's a beautiful long poem. It's a masterpiece.

I urge people to turn off your phones and dedicate 135 minutes of time to this film. No interruptions. Just you and Malick's meticulous experience.

Bubba Ho-Tep is a great film. Not for everyone though.

The idea that JFK is alive and was dyed black was enough to sell me on it. And thats before you get to Elvis v a mummy.

I watched Unknown last night.

Good film, but I can't help but think it's all the Bourne films in one. Even down to the filming in Berlin. Nice, slick filming however and Liam Neeson is, as ever, always pleasant to watch on screen.

I watched Unknown last night.

Good film, but I can't help but think it's all the Bourne films in one. Even down to the filming in Berlin. Nice, slick filming however and Liam Neeson is, as ever, always pleasant to watch on screen.

I'd agree with your assessment, it did feel very similar. It was a fun watch though and yeah Neeson was as great as ever. Diane Kruger was good too, can't say the same about January Jones though...

Saw Xmen first class tonight and really enjoyed it. Best of the Xmen films for me so far.

The two leads in Charles and Magneto were excellent and loads of nods to the previous films.

I went to see it as well and was hoping it would finally give the X-Men the film they deserve. However, I left the cinema feeling as if it hadn't lived up to my expectations. Don't get me wrong, it was certainly a step up from 'X-Men 3' and 'Wolverine' in every way possible. The story between Charles and Erik was great and some of the nods (as you mentioned) were very good.

However, I just thought the whole vibe of the film was a bit overkill. I thought it was trying too much to be like a Bond film and it took away from it in my eyes. I also thought some of the special effects were shoddy. I'm also still annoyed with the whole timeline and the choice of characters that were made to be in this film. Oh and the whole tie-in to the missile crisis just didn't work at all for me.

It is worth a watch and it does bring credibility back to the X-Men. I just feel that it could have been so much more. As an X-Men fan I am still waiting for that epic film to come along. I suppose I will have to go back to 'X-Men 2' to get close to that. It's a shame really as I don't think this one even lived up to 'Thor'.

I'm going to see it again over the weekend but that's just because I'm a fan of the X-Men and I want to give it another shot. I'll see if a second viewing can pull me around and I'll try to go in with an open mind and not as a fan.

I'm not a comic book movie fan. I've seen most of them but just not my cup of tea as most are aimed to please all. They have this glass ceiling that at best they can just be good entertainment, nothing really thought provoking. They are permanently limited and they sure have run out of good comics to adapt. Though saying that, Dark Knight was excellent.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â