The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

I wondered at the time if that was written by Del Toro, or someone else. It wasn't credited to anyone else, as far as I remember. Your post prompted me to do a little research. It seems Del Toro himself says he read it in a book of Islamic poetry he read in a bookshop he frequented during filming. It seems the actual source though is from Saint Symeon's Divine Eros - perhaps unsurprisingly the intended subject of the verse if God, and was actually intended as a hymn rather than a poem. It certainly worked well as a footnote to the film.

• Like 1

I Tonya tonight

Thought it was a great film and I never thought I’d be saying that about a film based on the life of an ice skater unless it was a biopic film about Chazz Michael Michaels ...

The bodyguard steals the show but the mother runs him a close second , some good performances all round.

I loved 3 Billboards but I think this has just knocked it off top spot for my current best film of 2018 list  

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 2

On 23/02/2018 at 11:10, Designer1 said:

Yeah, I've mentioned The Room a fair few times down the years on here.

It's an absolute must see if you have any real interest in truly awful film making. It's a case study of genuinely funny and almost absurd incompetence.

I'd recommend doing a double bill of it and The Disaster Artist (which i thought was superb) to anyone.

Taking up this recommendation now. The Room is hilarious. The Disaster Artist will be tomorrow.

• Like 1

The Ritual

Finally managed to watch it and loved it from start to finish. Unsettling and unnerving at times. It had elements of Willow Creek, Stag Do and The Witch all rolled up into one quality film. Brilliant. Highly recommend it. 9/10.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I have a free Friday and Saturday now (holiday flight cancelled) so might try and see "I, Tonya" 

Just came back from watching it.

You won't be disappointed.

So just watching the original Point Break for the first time in years. Not connected the dots before, but just noticed that the first Fast and Furious film is pretty much the same film but with a different sport. It follows the exact same sequence.... agent gets in with bad guys after falling in love with the woman of the group. Has something to prove to the leader but gets on his side. With the leader fights another group and then thinks it must be them. Works out it’s the leader all along. Has the chance to arrest him but let’s him go...

Lady Bird is lovely. Coming of age story with Sairse Ronan and Laurie Metcalf both particularly good and Lucas Hedges young man is very tender. Not sure it's worth all the hype as there are other really good tales of growing up that at least match this but the performances are all strong and all of the supporting characters have something to them which is good. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, This Could Be Rotterdam said:

I was going to give I, Tonya a miss but might give it a go instead of game night this weekend considering pretty universal praise here. 

Saw it last night, very funny, it's a shame that all she's remembered for is the Nancy Kerrigan incident because, boy, could she skate.

14 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

So just watching the original Point Break for the first time in years. Not connected the dots before, but just noticed that the first Fast and Furious film is pretty much the same film but with a different sport. It follows the exact same sequence.... agent gets in with bad guys after falling in love with the woman of the group. Has something to prove to the leader but gets on his side. With the leader fights another group and then thinks it must be them. Works out it’s the leader all along. Has the chance to arrest him but let’s him go...

And just as crap.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â