The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

40 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I thought it was really quite good. 

Very weird in places, and a couple of plot points that bothered me. 

Thought the ending was fine. I pretty much saw it coming to be honest although I thought 

Hide contents

that the creature would die and she’d survive but have been turned into him

Re. The ending...

Spoiler

Of the two possibilities I'm going to go with the more romantic version that she was similar to the creature all along and that he 'activated' her gills. It was mentioned that she was found by a river etc and I don't think del Toro would have wanted to have the same ending as Pan's Labyrinth where she actually died.

The third slight possibility could have been that he 'gave' her the gills. After all he's basically a god like being (Richard Jenkins hair etc) but I find that the least plausible.

Good movie though.

Ah The Shape of Water was wonderful. Not as good as Pans Labyrinth but thooughly enjoyable, great performances visuals and music. Sally Hawkins well deserves her nomination. Far funnier than other Del Toro films too.

2 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Re. The ending...

Hide contents

Of the two possibilities I'm going to go with the more romantic version that she was similar to the creature all along and that he 'activated' her gills. It was mentioned that she was found by a river etc and I don't think del Toro would have wanted to have the same ending as Pan's Labyrinth where she actually died.

The third slight possibility could have been that he 'gave' her the gills. After all he's basically a god like being (Richard Jenkins hair etc) but I find that the least plausible.

Good movie though.

I assumed 

Spoiler

he’d turned her into one. Given he was a humanoid sea monster god (possibly) with magical healing powers, plausibility wasn’t really in my thought process

• Like 1

No way

Spoiler

The hints as to Elisa's origin were very specific, and her returning to her 'real people' with her love added immensely to the fairy tale of the whole thing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hogso said:

No way

Hide contents

The hints as to Elisa's origin were very specific, and her returning to her 'real people' with her love added immensely to the fairy tale of the whole thing. 

Yep that's pretty much my take on it.

1 hour ago, hogso said:

No way

Reveal hidden contents

What were the hints?

8 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

What were the hints?

As D1 mentioned

Spoiler

That she was an orphan who can't talk (rather than wouldn't talk) found next to a river as a child, and had allegedly had her neck slit by her parents. As soon as that was mentioned I thought she was a 'seamonster', or at least had been, which to me explained her attraction to the male 'seamonster', and her literal love of water (bath wanking). 

Now, if you were to ask 'well why didn't she look like a seamonster then?', I have no idea :D

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hogso said:

As D1 mentioned

Hide contents

That she was an orphan who can't talk (rather than wouldn't talk) found next to a river as a child, and had allegedly had her neck slit by her parents. As soon as that was mentioned I thought she was a 'seamonster', or at least had been, which to me explained her attraction to the male 'seamonster', and her literal love of water (bath wanking). 

Now, if you were to ask 'well why didn't she look like a seamonster then?', I have no idea :D

Cool. Must admit I missed all of that, but makes sense now.

I suppose it would also explain

Spoiler

why she wasn't terrified of the creature at first like everyone else was. Instinctively she was attracted to it rather than repulsed

• Like 1

Watched The Shape of Water last night. I thought it was good, perhaps very good, but didn’t do enough to be considered a great film IMO. The best things about it were the performances. Shannon and Jenkins are two of my favourite actors and an Oscar for Hawkins would be well deserved.

My main gripes:

Spoiler

The plot unfolded entirely as expected. I felt like I knew exactly what would happen based on the synopsis. Of course, that’s not always a bad thing but this particular film didn’t have quite enough to get away with it.

I didn’t think the central relationship was particular well developed. Before she plans to break him out they’ve met, what, two, three, maybe four times? I felt like we’d hardly seen the creature before she’d decided she was in love. I guess it could be argued, based on the ending, that she felt an immediate connection, which is fair enough.

Re. the ending:

Spoiler

I’d say that she was definitely one of the creatures (or similar) to begin with. Found by the river as a child and as soon as I saw the scars on her neck I thought that they were gills. I didn’t feel that it was at all ambiguous, to be honest. We see the marks in the same relative position on both sides of her neck at different points in the film (I think).

I enjoyed it and would like to watch it again. Perhaps I’d see more in it but on first viewing, it didn’t do anything to shift the thought that Del Toro is somewhat overrated and living off a couple of, admittedly, truly great films when the majority of his output has been fairly middling.

Kevin Smith had a massive heart attack last night apparently. Survived but that has to be a huge warning to him.

He's been overweight for years so not surprising to have him have a heart attack but I would've thought it would be a few years down the road yet, he's not that old.

My problem with the Shape of Water plot

Spoiler

her cleaner friend just accepted her having sex with a sea creature as totally normal. 

The russian doctor seemed ok with the fact he was dying, but still gave away who had taken the creature

"Bruce" being a total pussy near the end. Bruce Out.

The bit where she filled the bathroom with water. As if her shagging him wasn't weird enough.

All minor stuff though. I'm just being picky.

Will definitely enjoy revisiting the film in lght of this chat. Do concede it never threatened to be too unexpected but still good. 

And Richard Jenkins as great. I was wondering what else I might have seen him in but free a blank. Anyone know what films he's been in that would be worth checking out?

Not seen the movie yet, but looking forward to it.

One question: How similar is this guy/creature to Abraham Sapien from Del Toro's Hellboy?

They look pretty similar from the stills. When I first saw them, way back I thought it was a spin off :D

Edit: No spoilers please

Edited by sne

35 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Will definitely enjoy revisiting the film in lght of this chat. Do concede it never threatened to be too unexpected but still good. 

And Richard Jenkins as great. I was wondering what else I might have seen him in but free a blank. Anyone know what films he's been in that would be worth checking out?

Watch The Visitor.

He's great in that and it's a superb movie.

He was also great as Nathaniel in Six Feet Under.

Edited by Designer1

I watched Downsizing yesterday. I thought it was a comedy based on a single trailer I'd seen at the flicks, but it's not. At least I don't think it is? It made me laugh one time, but lots of non-comedy films do that.

I didn't mind the set up at all - in fact, very quickly we are presented with information as to the evolution of the tech, the intended impacts on the environment, and the unintended impacts it has on the global economy. That's all handled well. As is the difficulty of the decision made by Damon and his partners' characters. It's an odd thing then that the film completely loses it's way once we enter 'small world' - and a terrible thing for the film as a whole seeing as that's the USP.

I can't remember the last film I watched that came to a complete and utter halt, plot wise, as badly as this. There's some really odd scenes tonally, that to make matters worse, don't serve any purpose to the overall plot, or to Damon's character, coupled with major plot points being thrown at you completely out of left field.

The ending is rubbish too. I won't delve too deeply in to spoiler territory, but if Damon's character doesn't know what he wants, how are we, the audience, meant to feel about his choice? It didn't feel to me like he's done the right thing, based on what I'd learnt about him and his motivations up to that point. Which isn't a great way to end a film.

I kept going back to the original premise that the film portrayed, and I remember thinking very clearly, about 20 minutes in, "You know, this might not be so bad". The initial promise, as tentative as it was, is completely lost not even half way through the film, and by the end it doesn't really matter if he's big or small anyway, which says it all. 4/10.

Edited by hogso
  • Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â