The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Just now, Xela said:

Only Fools went on too long Should have ended it when they got their money. Everything after was just poor. 

The Office and Fawlty Towers went out at the top, the best way to go!

That's true. Episodes are superb or very poor. Too hit and miss.

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It’s not even in the conversation for me. 

What about Mrs browns boys? ;)

Could never decide definitively but up in the top: the office, blackadder, red dwarf, spaced, green wing, black books, fawlty towers, father ted, peep show, the IT crowd, the thick of it. Being definitive over all that is tough.

45 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

That's true. Episodes are superb or very poor. Too hit and miss.

What about Mrs browns boys? ;)

I can’t stand it tbh, one if the most overrated shows ever.

i do think only fools should have ended. That’s probably why inbetweeners and the office are up there. Ended at right time

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Only Fools went on too long Should have ended it when they got their money. Everything after was just poor. 

Absolutely bang on.

Fawlty Towers is still my favourite of all time. The longevity of the humour in the writing shows how outstanding the show is/was.

As for The Office, it's perfect. A brilliantly observed, funny and sometimes touching masterclass.

The only recent British comedy that has come close to those two is The Detectorists. Although that's very much in the more whimsical mode.

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Rodders said:

Could never decide definitively but up in the top: the office, blackadder, red dwarf, spaced, green wing, black books, fawlty towers, father ted, peep show, the IT crowd, the thick of it. Being definitive over all that is tough.

Can we be friends?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Xela said:

2 series and a Christmas special. 

Another thing Gervais got (gets?) spot on

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

I can’t stand it tbh, one if the most overrated shows ever.

i do think only fools should have ended. That’s probably why inbetweeners and the office are up there. Ended at right time

I think only series 1 of the inbetweeners can be talked about in the same way as these others. 

I absolutely loved the show, but everything after series 1 didn’t compare. It became too aware of what was funny and played up to it too much. Neil’s dad being the prime example. 

Black Panther is, unsurprisingly, good. It's not best of MCU quality, but it's top half. If you don't like the Marvel series, it's not going to change your mind.

It isn't flawless, it effectively has an hour long intro before it gets into the meat of its story, it does have some ropey CGI and it has some clunkingly heavy handed dialogue and weak humour. You have to go with some silly concepts (if you can't buy the idea of a secret African country being extremely advanced, this movie is a dead duck for you).

On the other hand, that first hour is still fun, there isn't that much of the bad CGI given how much of what is on screen is fake (Wakanda itself is a CGI creation given the film was shot in the state of Georgia), the heavy handed dialogue is dealing with 'worthier' thoughts than most comic book stuff and there's not that much humour in the film.

The film also gives us 2 good villains - Andy Serkis having fun as the brilliantly evil Ulysses Klaue and Michael B Jordan as Erik Killmonger. Killmonger is one of Marvel's better villains, his motivation is understandable, perhaps even relatable on some levels, and Jordan plays him with menacing relish right to the end. It's a shame the film didn't have him on screen more. And Serkis seems to have just been told to have fun, his Klaue is fantastically unpleasant and fleshes out a character we'd barely glimpsed in Age of Ultron.

It's a good Marvel entry with some weightier ideas in play. It's hardly going to be winning Oscars or prompting essays, but it's nice to see blockbuster fair with some balls to play with heftier thoughts. It still has the hallmarks of the series, but also feels quite different, with only minor connections to the wider universe and it's own style, which works. 

A good new solo entry for the series. Not excellent, not world shattering, but good. Would probably slot in above Dr Strange for me, so a top 10 MCU entry.

There's 2 post credits scenes. One is an epilogue that reiterates some of the film's themes, the second is an MCU tie in (and you'll guess what it is if you have any idea of the series so far) and is about the weakest I can recall since Iron Man 3. Probably not worth waiting around after the first, and even that isn't really that important.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Chindie said:

Black Panther is, unsurprisingly, good. It's not best of MCU quality, but it's top half. If you don't like the Marvel series, it's not going to change your mind.

It isn't flawless, it effectively has an hour long intro before it gets into the meat of its story, it does have some ropey CGI and it has some clunkingly heavy handed dialogue and weak humour. You have to go with some silly concepts (if you can't buy the idea of a secret African country being extremely advanced, this movie is a dead duck for you).

On the other hand, that first hour is still fun, there isn't that much of the bad CGI given how much of what is on screen is fake (Wakanda itself is a CGI creation given the film was shot in the state of Georgia), the heavy handed dialogue is dealing with 'worthier' thoughts than most comic book stuff and there's not that much humour in the film.

The film also gives us 2 good villains - Andy Serkis having fun as the brilliantly evil Ulysses Klaue and Michael B Jordan as Erik Killmonger. Killmonger is one of Marvel's better villains, his motivation is understandable, perhaps even relatable on some levels, and Jordan plays him with menacing relish right to the end. It's a shame the film didn't have him on screen more. And Serkis seems to have just been told to have fun, his Klaue is fantastically unpleasant and fleshes out a character we'd barely glimpsed in Age of Ultron.

It's a good Marvel entry with some weightier ideas in play. It's hardly going to be winning Oscars or prompting essays, but it's nice to see blockbuster fair with some balls to play with heftier thoughts. It still has the hallmarks of the series, but also feels quite different, with only minor connections to the wider universe and it's own style, which works. 

A good new solo entry for the series. Not excellent, not world shattering, but good. Would probably slot in above Dr Strange for me, so a top 10 MCU entry.

There's 2 post credits scenes. One is an epilogue that reiterates some of the film's themes, the second is an MCU tie in (and you'll guess what it is if you have any idea of the series so far) and is about the weakest I can recall since Iron Man 3. Probably not worth waiting around after the first, and even that isn't really that important.

An outrage they didn't even shoot the movie in Wakanda!

Typical Hollywood.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

BP was good, great characters and cast, looks great, great soundtrack, I think the relevancy of it will strike home more for some than others but I think the "best yet" stuff is just early hype, personally I enjoyed Thor ragnorok more, the cinema was absolutely packed though, busier than the first weekend of The last Jedi 

watched 3 billboards and baby driver last night, 3 billboards is very good and should be watched because of the performances, take them away and it's not best film material imo baby driver was solid maybe a bit too clever for its own good, again a pretty bog standard heist film with the interesting music element added which at times works brilliantly and then at other times for me personally didn't, would say they nailed the driving bits and whilst baby himself wasn't overly interesting Jamie foxx and the other crew members dragged it through

3 hours ago, sne said:

An outrage they didn't even shoot the movie in Wakanda!

Typical Hollywood.

Haha.

You understand what I mean though - it's not using real landscapes, the whole thing is CGI. Even when it gives us natural landscape it's being made on a computer. That stuff looks fine. It falls down on some of the character CGI and other 'things'. It's backdrops are fine, it builds a good world. It just occasionally populates them with weird CGI creations.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Justice League makes Black Panther look like some extreme leap forward in visual technology.

That movie was downright unfinished. And the less said about the fake lip the better.

I didn’t get to the fake lip section as I lost the will to watch after the introduction of steppenwolf. 

Such a horribly executed film that begs the question of who allowed it to be released like that?

8 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

I didn’t get to the fake lip section as I lost the will to watch after the introduction of steppenwolf. 

Such a horribly executed film that begs the question of who allowed it to be released like that?

You did actually - the very first scene, with Superman on the camera phone footage, has the fake lip. If you can face watching it again, look at his top lip. It looks **** weird.

As for how the film got released like that... It seems like Warner just cut their losses with it. They knew it was a mess, they brought in Whedon to try to salvage it, he possibly made it worse, they cut their losses and released it as is. It's obvious the CGI wasn't finished in loads of scenes (the Batmobile in the finale has loads of shots that literally look like they would have been bad 15 years ago) it's clear that they chopped loads of things out and hastily taped it back together.

**** knows what Warner plan to do with their universe now. On the one hand they seem to want to carry on as is, with Aquaman coming etc, on the other they're making seemingly unrelated movies, like a Joker origin. And then there's the new Batman movie that is either going to be completely its own thing, or somehow tied into the universe but with a different Batman - prequel? But then what do they do with Batfleck if they do another Justice League? Because just recasting is a problem because this is established as an old Batman and they'd probably want to go younger. And then there's Nightwing, whatever that ends up being. Who the **** wants to watch emo not-Batman?

Warner Bros have 2 of the biggest heroes in comics. How they've **** up copying a not very difficult blueprint to follow, I've no idea.

• Like 1

On 24/02/2018 at 00:17, Designer1 said:

I'll be interested in your thoughts.

In particular the ending..

I thought it was really quite good. 

Very weird in places, and a couple of plot points that bothered me. 

Thought the ending was fine. I pretty much saw it coming to be honest although I thought 

Spoiler

that the creature would die and she’d survive but have been turned into him

Edited by Stevo985

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â