The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

7 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

They didn’t get cold feet as such, they have massive massive debts and have sold off the rights in a lot of territories to Netflix for a handful of films (the latest Cloverfield being one of them) to try and stop their losses. Annihilation is still coming out in cinemas in some countries I think.

Definitely coming out in the cinemas over here in the US

8 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

Currently watching Brent: Life on the Road. I’m tempted to switch it off as it’s just a really nasty film. Brent is supposed to be laughed at in a gentle way as a comedy character not just horribly bullied and harassed into despair, depression and loneliness. It’s just a horrible film. Not nice at all. Brent is supposed to be the tosspot but he’s the most human and genuine in this film despite his annoying flaws, everyone else is there just to be a word removed to him. 

It's a weird film that.

I didn't hate it, but I sort of agree with you that it's a much different tone than The Office. You're made to feel really really sorry for Brent. I guess the upside is, spoiler alert,

Spoiler

it's a relatively happy ending

But aside from that, my biggest problem with that film is that it just wasn't very funny. It felt like a tribute to the Office written by somebody else. Makes me wonder how important Merchant was to that show.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

But aside from that, my biggest problem with that film is that it just wasn't very funny. 

Neither was the office to a degreee ... I mean it had moments you laughed at but you spent more time cringing at the character and thinking I’ve worked with people like that ... it’s a very cleverly written piece of work but it’s not looking for cheap laughs by having a man fall through an empty bar area

As for the film ,  I kinda agree with both of you in what you are saying 

Edited by tonyh29

40 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Neither was the office to a degreee ... I mean it had moments you laughed at but you spent more time cringing at the character and thinking I’ve worked with people like that ... it’s a very cleverly written piece of work but it’s not looking for cheap laughs by having a man fall through an empty bar area

It's certainly not looking for cheap laughs, but it is VERY funny, imo. 

It's my favourite comedy ever.

• Like 1

Watched "The Disaster Artist" last night. I knew nothing about who it was about or the film it was about.

It was a good film, but something didn't sit right with me. Because The Room is obviously such a shit film, i'm not sure it really justified another film about how it got made, if that makes sense.

It was interesting all the same.

Has anyone watched The Room? Is it as bad as It looks?

Edited by PieFacE

8 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Watched "The Disaster Artist" last night. I knew nothing about who it was about or the film it was about.

It was a good film, but something didn't sit right with me. Because The Room is obviously such a shit film, i'm not sure it really justified another film about how it got made, if that makes sense.

It was interesting all the same.

Has anyone watched The Room? Is it as bad as It looks?

Yeah, I've mentioned The Room a fair few times down the years on here.

It's an absolute must see if you have any real interest in truly awful film making. It's a case study of genuinely funny and almost absurd incompetence.

I'd recommend doing a double bill of it and The Disaster Artist (which i thought was superb) to anyone.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

They didn’t get cold feet as such, they have massive massive debts and have sold off the rights in a lot of territories to Netflix for a handful of films (the latest Cloverfield being one of them) to try and stop their losses. Annihilation is still coming out in cinemas in some countries I think.

With Annihilation as said they have sold the distribution in most territories, all except the US and China. This was allegedly sparked by the movie getting dodgy reactions from an early screening. Paramount thought they had another flop on their hands and decided to bin off the cost of distribution away from home territories (they have a funding deal with a Chinese firm hence the China distribution) and take Netflix's money.

With Cloverfield, they just knew it was a stinker. That film allegedly wasn't even a Cloverfield film until very late into production. Netflix offered a stack of cash straight up, Paramount binned it asap.

In both cases, if they thought they were onto winners, Netflix don't get a sniff of them.

Certainly I'd say with Annihilation, it's cold feet. They need cash, but they felt it wasn't going to make enough money to convert the costs of widely distributing it, so took the ready money. Despite the good reviews it seems like they might be right, the reviews state is an odd from and not audience friendly, meaning Paramount might have made a loss when going through marketing it, etc.

One thing with Annihilation is that apparently the script was done before the 2 sequels in the book series were done so it won't follow the plot in the book(s) to a point. Especially if there are sequels I guess.

I have the books but haven't had time to read them yet.

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

With Annihilation as said they have sold the distribution in most territories, all except the US and China. This was allegedly sparked by the movie getting dodgy reactions from an early screening. Paramount thought they had another flop on their hands and decided to bin off the cost of distribution away from home territories (they have a funding deal with a Chinese firm hence the China distribution) and take Netflix's money.

With Cloverfield, they just knew it was a stinker. That film allegedly wasn't even a Cloverfield film until very late into production. Netflix offered a stack of cash straight up, Paramount binned it asap.

In both cases, if they thought they were onto winners, Netflix don't get a sniff of them.

Certainly I'd say with Annihilation, it's cold feet. They need cash, but they felt it wasn't going to make enough money to convert the costs of widely distributing it, so took the ready money. Despite the good reviews it seems like they might be right, the reviews state is an odd from and not audience friendly, meaning Paramount might have made a loss when going through marketing it, etc.

You're right, Cloverfield paradox wasn't a Cloverfield movie, neither was 10 Cloverfield Lane. 

What he (JJ) is doing is, working on stand alone films with new upcoming filmmakers then tying them in to the 'Cloverfield universe'. He's trying to create a franchise in a non-linear kind of way.

There's a fourth one on the way in the summer apparently and they still haven't given up on a 'direct sequel' to the original.

I honestly don't get the reaction to Paradox. It was a decent little movie. I've seen far worse.

Edit: the fourth one 'Overlord'

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/cloverfield/news/a849536/cloverfield-4-overlord-crazy-movie-jj-abrams/

And when asked whether Overlord will fit into the franchise in any way, Abrams was giving nothing away.

"Overlord ... first of all it's something that I can't wait for you to see cause the director, Julius Avery, has done an amazing job on it," he said.

"But the specifics, you know, we should wait and see. But that's really a crazy movie

Edited by wazzap24

13 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

Currently watching Brent: Life on the Road. I’m tempted to switch it off as it’s just a really nasty film. Brent is supposed to be laughed at in a gentle way as a comedy character not just horribly bullied and harassed into despair, depression and loneliness. It’s just a horrible film. Not nice at all. Brent is supposed to be the tosspot but he’s the most human and genuine in this film despite his annoying flaws, everyone else is there just to be a word removed to him. 

Brent was way past his sell by date. 

Gervais has to be one of the most self - indulgent comedians ever.

The film was an absolute disaster.

14 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Brent was way past his sell by date. 

Gervais has to be one of the most self - indulgent comedians ever.

The film was an absolute disaster.

The Office, 2 series. Extras, 2 series. Derek, 2 series. Yes very self indulgent.

That seems very harsh to me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AVFCDAN said:

The Office, 2 series. Extras, 2 series. Derek, 2 series. Yes very self indulgent.

That seems very harsh to me.

Let's not forget the Golden Globes, where he compered a few times, he can come across as very spiteful at times, to the point where it becomes very uncomfortable. It's no coincidence, to me, that he seems less funny without the input of Merchant.

28 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Let's not forget the Golden Globes, where he compered a few times, he can come across as very spiteful at times, to the point where it becomes very uncomfortable. It's no coincidence, to me, that he seems less funny without the input of Merchant.

Steve was a big part of it no doubt, his tv show hello ladies really was quite good for anyone that didn’t get round to watching it.

Seeing as neither of them ever comment on it we may not find out why they don’t work together, it looks to me like they must have fallen out at some point, I’m sure I read that neither follows the other one on twitter anymore for whatever that is worth.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Gervais is a genius

I thought The Office was genius at the time but it's aged really poorly compared to say Fawlty Towers (which Gervais often spoke about being the gold standard of comedy.)

It's almost as if he was funny for the time (when reality TV was starting to explode) but he's failed to move on and capture where things are now. 

1 minute ago, TheAuthority said:

I thought The Office was genius at the time but it's aged really poorly compared to say Fawlty Towers (which Gervais often spoke about being the gold standard of comedy.)

It's almost as if he was funny for the time (when reality TV was starting to explode) but he's failed to move on and capture where things are now. 

I couldn’t disagree more. 

The Office is still brilliant. 

Best British comedy ever. 

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I couldn’t disagree more. 

The Office is still brilliant. 

Best British comedy ever. 

Fair enough :D

The film was absolutely bobbins though. Like an aging rock tribute band to a band everyone had forgotten about.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â