The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

5 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

Spider-Man trailer looks okay. The hilariously overly PC cast suggests Sony have got their hands all over it though, which means I won't expect much from it.

because he has an asian friend? and there are also women in it? Is that like not allowed in films?

He's not even Asia he's Hawaiian but yeah the Asian looking friend, the black girl love interest, the Italian American aunt may

but none of that whatsoever is as bad as tilda Swinton being the ancient one

seriousky none of it bothers me in the slightest, the casting of Johnny Storm did but that was more because of the relationship with sue and the fact that they had to write something in to explain it

Tbf with the Ancient One they were dammed whatever they did. Cast an old East Asian dude and it's basically a bit racist, change the part and at best you annoy the fans, at worst it's 'white washing' or 'PC casting' or whatever.

For reasonably inconsequential characters I don't mind changing things. The Ancient One works whatever way you spin it with a decent actor, etc etc. On the other hand Parker should be a white high school kid, Black Panther has to be a black guy, Cap has to be a blonde Yank, etc.

The casting in Homecoming... It just doesn't matter really. There are some notable names in Spiderman canon of his friends but pretty much none of them are relevant enough to matter with some race changing. Even ones like Flash Thompson who got their own time in the spotlight... There's no reason that character should remain white, they aren't important enough to matter.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Started reading up on serkis, 52, grew up in Ruislip Manor...turns out he went to school with my mom! He's a couple of years younger but I've got an aunty that would have been in his year

neither of them knew who he was

Liked because you mentioned Ruislip :) I spent 4 happy years living there (just off Pembroke Road) whilst working on secondment.  I was sad to leave.  

Sausage Party - absolutely dreadful. Honestly, so bad. I was well in the mood for a silly, throwaway comedy. I enjoy the likes of Seth Rogan, Franco, Jonah Hill etc.
But this was garbage. I give it 9.5.... out of a million

Concussion - Enjoyed it, but can't help feel it was pretty forgettable. I already can't remember much about what happened. Ironic really

Off to see Sully tomorrow. Not expecting anything sensational but the real life incident fascinated me so looking forward to it.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Green room was brilliant! 

Low budget 'reverse house invasion-esque' film involving a punk band and a bunch of white supremacists. 

Some cracking wound make up! 

Saulnier is a talented guy. I'm looking forward to more of his output as I loved Blue Ruin and Green Room. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Saulnier is a talented guy. I'm looking forward to more of his output as I loved Blue Ruin and Green Room. 

Really enjoyed blue ruin (had an early coen brothers feel about it!) and noted a lot of the cast also appeared in green room. 

Such a shame about anton yelchin though :( 

Spectral was surprisingly pretty ok.

As far as a not too distant future sci-fi, video game inspired popcorn flick goes.

Those who've seen that animated Final Fantasy movie "The spirits within" will see a fair number of similarities.

Very nice looking movie.

Watched Spotlight earlier.

A worthy subject and supremely well plotted, acted, edited and shot. Absolutely gripping and damning in its mundane simplicity of showing how easily evil can be allowed to thrive in the open.

Recommended. Especially if you are a church going Catholic.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Off to see Sully tomorrow. Not expecting anything sensational but the real life incident fascinated me so looking forward to it.

yeah. Basically that.

The bits about the actual crash are excellent. Very emotional and insightful, and very true to what actually happened.

The narrative around that suffers from the fact that, I think, there's not really that much of a story apart from the crash. I imagine they've been very creative with the whole process that the film is about, and it shows. 

It's worth a watch. It had me on the edge of tears a few times, but you're watching it for the crash really. And as the whole flight lasts 208 seconds it doesn't leave much else for the film to be about.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

yeah. Basically that.

The bits about the actual crash are excellent. Very emotional and insightful, and very true to what actually happened.

The narrative around that suffers from the fact that, I think, there's not really that much of a story apart from the crash. I imagine they've been very creative with the whole process that the film is about, and it shows. 

It's worth a watch. It had me on the edge of tears a few times, but you're watching it for the crash really. And as the whole flight lasts 208 seconds it doesn't leave much else for the film to be about.

I enjoyed it. I think, as you say, it does the actual crash very well and you really live through that and get a very good sense for what it must have been like (apart from the cold, I couldn't really imagine that). The way the investigators are portrayed seems a bit simplistic - I mean, it genuinely is important to find out what happened and if it could have been averted, they weren't just being meanies. But overall, well acted and directed and made with some thought behind it. 

The investigators were the part I meant when I said they've been a bit creative. Not really a spoiler but

Spoiler

I don't think it was as much of a witch hunt as they make it out to be. But it's a film so they needed to make it more interesting

But yes, I did enjoy it.

• Like 1

Could be spectacular.

Accepting Nolan's faults ;).

Dunkirk is an interesting choice for a war film, given it's basically a defeat history has packaged as a triumph (and in many ways it was... But it's still an embarrassment at heart). Looking forward to it. Good trailer.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â