The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Watched The Greasy Strangler last night.

One of the most wonderfully grotesque and hugely funny black comedies I've seen for a long time.

Part Napoleon Dynamite, part early Peter Jackson it's a disgusting treat :D

51035_1_large.jpg

TRAILER IS VERY MUCH NSFW!!!

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 4

On 25/11/2016 at 14:17, villa4europe said:

if you want another band documentary fix then try talihina sky the kings of leon documentary, thats kind of like the oasis one in that it shows their yoof, then their rise, then footage of them outside of the band are they are interesting people when they go back to hick central

Does it show you the exact moment, just after the third album, where they sold their souls?

i think its an attempt to try and show them as the country bumpkins that they are, some of their family are about as yocal as it gets, sure they cover the "selling out" from what i can remember caleb gets a fair bit of stick in the film for thinking he's a big rock star

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

i think its an attempt to try and show them as the country bumpkins that they are, some of their family are about as yocal as it gets, sure they cover the "selling out" from what i can remember caleb gets a fair bit of stick in the film for thinking he's a big rock star

I was half joking but nice, I'm glad they show it as it is. I'm intrigued now. 

Supersonic is **** brilliant, there was so much missing though that I reckon you could make 10 documentaries about Oasis and still be finding new angles. Mesmerising, even I had forgotten just how big they were and I love Oasis. 

Though as music docs go Amy edges it for me. It's more cinematic, obviously more gritty and definitely more brutal. Amy is a gut wrenching tragedy which should force society to question our belief in the culture of celebrity. Supersonic is full on balls on the table, detailing the beginning of our last days of innocence before the hope was ripped from our grasp by the rise of said culture of celebrity. Both changed me in some way. Both were incredibly poignant and both are **** awesome.

Might be my two favorites films of the last 2 years. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

So, the American rehash of the secret in their eyes wasn't as bad as I feared but nowhere near as tense or impactive as the original. 

Still begs the question, why does Hollywood feel the need to remake any decent foreign flick and Americanize it?

Because there's a huge audience who won't watch a film with subtitles

if 10% of them go back and watch the original then I don't mind it personally, it's hard to know what kind of deal they struck for the rights to the film, if it finances another one then happy days, it did $32m at the box office, made a profit

20 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Watched The Greasy Strangler last night.

One of the most wonderfully grotesque and hugely funny black comedies I've seen for a long time.

Part Napoleon Dynamite, part early Peter Jackson it's a disgusting treat :D

51035_1_large.jpg

TRAILER IS VERY MUCH NSFW!!!

One of the crew must be a Mulligan and O'Hare fan.

• Like 3

sully - will no doubt get loads of award nods and do really well but i thought a bit like bridge of spies its ok, its hanks doing what he does rather than a really stand out performance and the support cast are just kind of there, the film just lacks that little bit of drama, theres no edge to it at all

flight obviously had the benefit of being fiction but that and DWs performance are both better than this

As always this time of year I'm going through the John Carpenter catalog, cherry picking my favorites.  It's a December tradition.

Going chronological this year. Started with Dark Star yesterday and doing Assault on precinct 13 tonight

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

The trailer for Tom Cruise's The Mummy re-make "Mummy Impossible" looks suitably awful.

Another adventure/horror story turned into an action orgy (no, not that kind) and Tom Cruise once again running a lot...

And as per usual in American action movies these days they are destroying London

1 hour ago, sne said:

As always this time of year I'm going through the John Carpenter catalog, cherry picking my favorites.  It's a December tradition.

Going chronological this year. Started with Dark Star yesterday and doing Assault on precinct 13 tonight

Good man :thumb:

His early work was peerless.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â