The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

8 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

The Wee Man    :thumb:   

weeman_movie_poster.jpg

Awful film.

Compston is a great actor and is so much better than that rubbish.

I've read a fair few books about Paul Ferris and Arthur Thompson and it could have been so much better with a decent script and director.

5 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Awful film.

Compston is a great actor and is so much better than that rubbish.

I've read a fair few books about Paul Ferris and Arthur Thompson and it could have been so much better with a decent script and director.

I will have to take a read of them mate. I felt it was not too bad a film though.

• Like 1

Watched this at the cinema this week...

image.jpeg

I had high expectations since its John Michael McDonagh and I loved The Guard and Calvary, but this just didn't meet them I'm afraid.

There were some funny moments, Peña and Skarsgård worked well together and were fun to watch, it just fell a bit flat for me and had too many moments in between the beats that made me feel a little bored.

Theo James's villain was a bit weak too and I felt he wasn't quite explained well enough earlier on in the film making the reveals in the last act feel a bit tacked on. I think they could have cut some of the more boring footage which would not only have allowed more time to introduce the big bad, but also might have made the funny moments flow a bit better too.

Enjoyable enough but not particularly memorable. Not a patch on The Guard - 6.5/10

Watched a few Tom Hanks films this week, what with there being a bit of a feature on him on Sky.

Now before I go on, let me say that I can't think of a single one of his films that i've seen that I haven't liked, and i've watched most of his, so my expectations were set high.  

First one up was Philadelphia.  This is one that I had always assumed to be a classic that I just hadn't gotten around to watching.  I did roughly know the plot and again assumed it was going to be one of those which really tugs on your heart strings... Well what a disappointment!  Didn't build up any emotional connections with the characters and it bored me to the point where I switched it off 3/4 of the way through.

So I needed a good one next to restore my Hanks-faith!  So I went for his recent one, Bridge of Spies.  Just to make you aware this is how the critics scored it:
7.6/10 on IMBD - good solid scoring for that site
91% Rotton Tomatoes - wowzers I thought!
5/5 The Guardian - say no more!!!  

Well that ladies and gents is the last time I trust the internet.  What a turgid borefest!  It tells you upfront that it's 'inspired by true events' which for me usually means "we stuck loosely to the truth but needed to sex it up a little here and there".  Well somehow they managed to do the opposite!  And it was a Spielberg too, sooooo disappointing.

4 hours ago, Ginko said:

Watched this at the cinema this week...

image.jpeg

I had high expectations since its John Michael McDonagh and I loved The Guard and Calvary, but this just didn't meet them I'm afraid.

There were some funny moments, Peña and Skarsgård worked well together and were fun to watch, it just fell a bit flat for me and had too many moments in between the beats that made me feel a little bored.

Theo James's villain was a bit weak too and I felt he wasn't quite explained well enough earlier on in the film making the reveals in the last act feel a bit tacked on. I think they could have cut some of the more boring footage which would not only have allowed more time to introduce the big bad, but also might have made the funny moments flow a bit better too.

Enjoyable enough but not particularly memorable. Not a patch on The Guard - 6.5/10

Me and my mate seemed to be the only 2 people laughing at most of it , I'm guessing it says more about the other people in the cinema rather than us :)

kinda agree wth your review , some really funny moments followed by some lulls

he's denying but I'm sure my mate thought the Iceland blonde had a nice arse :)

Just finished watching the extended Hobbit films. The extra bits added to the first 2 films were really enjoyable to watch, particularly with building on links to LOTR. But, the extended Battle of the Five Armies really stands out for me. The final battle is so different vs. the cinema release it just makes the standard version seem rushed, which I guess it was. I think the extended versions help to get the Hobbit trilogy at least somewhere close to the LOTR.

Louis Theroux scientology movie. Thought it was dull and didnt tell me anything I didnt find out from the Going Clear doc.

If you read the Marty Rathburn blog, you discover a different side to the people who made the film.

Swizzzzzzzzzzzzz  Army man

had high expectations , a farting corpse that uses a hard on as a compass how could if fail  ... but nah , it was just one big long snoozefest

The Boondock Saints - Apart from the terrible Irish accents (why can't anyone else do an Irish accent?), a good film which passed me by first time around.  Reedus, Flanery & Dafoe all very good.  Recommended.  7.5/10

The Infiltrator - Bryan Cranston.  'Based on' ** real events around Pablo Escobar's American imports in the mid 80s.  An enjoyable fast-paced and well-written flick that captures the decade well and has the always lovely Diane Kruger too.  8/10

Star Trek Beyond - While I liked it, I found it to be almost too manic.  Too actiony and needed to stop for a breather more than it did.  At least JJ Abrams is over his lens flare addiction, so you can watch it without swearing.  Standard Trek fare, although that's no bad thing.  More humour than normal, owing to Pegg's writing.  And tips its hat on a few occasions to the departed Nimoy and Yelchin.  7/10

Hunt for the Wilderpeople - Another one from recommendations in VT.  Gotta say I really liked this.  Just a nice film very well acted by the leads.  The kid (Julian Dennison) is superb and Sam Neill is cast perfectly too.  Goes through the range of emotions without ever rubbing your nose in it.  8.5/10.

The Secret Lives of Pets - Disappointing.  Aimed at a younger audience in the sense that there isn't a level for adults that they'll find in other better animations.  Probably brilliant if you're a kid.  I wouldn't bother unless you're absolutely mad about animations and/or cats and dogs. 5/10

33 minutes ago, BOF said:

The Boondock Saints - Apart from the terrible Irish accents (why can't anyone else do an Irish accent?), a good film which passed me by first time around.  Reedus, Flanery & Dafoe all very good.  Recommended.  7.5/10

The Infiltrator - Bryan Cranston.  'Based on' ** real events around Pablo Escobar's American imports in the mid 80s.  An enjoyable fast-paced and well-written flick that captures the decade well and has the always lovely Diane Kruger too.  8/10

Star Trek Beyond - While I liked it, I found it to be almost too manic.  Too actiony and needed to stop for a breather more than it did.  At least JJ Abrams is over his lens flare addiction, so you can watch it without swearing.  Standard Trek fare, although that's no bad thing.  More humour than normal, owing to Pegg's writing.  And tips its hat on a few occasions to the departed Nimoy and Yelchin.  7/10

Hunt for the Wilderpeople - Another one from recommendations in VT.  Gotta say I really liked this.  Just a nice film very well acted by the leads.  The kid (Julian Dennison) is superb and Sam Neill is cast perfectly too.  Goes through the range of emotions without ever rubbing your nose in it.  8.5/10.

The Secret Lives of Pets - Disappointing.  Aimed at a younger audience in the sense that there isn't a level for adults that they'll find in other better animations.  Probably brilliant if you're a kid.  I wouldn't bother unless you're absolutely mad about animations and/or cats and dogs. 5/10

It wasn't actually directed by Abrams so perhaps a bit early to say he's over the lens flare addiction :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chindie said:

It wasn't actually directed by Abrams so perhaps a bit early to say he's over the lens flare addiction :)

That's true. It was Lin from what I remember. So yeah maybe I jumped the gun :) Although I did read that he had admitted his problem when his wife gave out to him :)

Cinema Paradiso  - what a glorious charmer this is. A love-letter to film set in a small Italian village charting a man's memories of his life growing up with Alfredo the projectionist in the village's only cinema. Funny, sweet and all round just nice. A tribute to older films and the er, "good old days" of picture shows. I would love to watch a film standing on a river boat!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BOF said:

That's true. It was Lin from what I remember. So yeah maybe I jumped the gun :) Although I did read that he had admitted his problem when his wife gave out to him :)

After watching some of the F&F films I'd have said lens flare was the least of star treks potential troubles...

i personally thought he found this cool directors tool where he could spin the camera round 360 and all the actors are upside down and you can't tell what's happening but you just know how cool it all looks, apart from after doing it about 10 times I got fed up of it

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â