The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

thanks by the way. I will note that. I am backed up with films to watch. I often buy them when I see them cheap and still have dozens in cellaphane. in private downtime, I just end up playing fifa or something on playstation lately. long hours etc. but I will get to it. thanks

20 hours ago, BOF said:

Well I jumped on the Dead Man's Shoes bandwagon.  Really enjoyed it. I do like the gritty indie style and the acting always seems more genuine. Considine brilliant as usual. I'll be back later with spoiler tag chat :-P

Reveal hidden contents

I did raise a chuckle at the most conscientious driver ever.  It's about 5am, on an abandoned mountain/military road.  Not another car in sight.  You're driving at knifepoint and you still put your indicator on to turn left :lol:

The twist was brilliant.  I'll be honest, I didn't see it coming, and yet when you think back afterwards, there are plenty of signs to it.  Even if they're not blatant, they could have been enough to alert you to it.  Most of them behaviour related, but one of them plot related.

I love it when someone sees this film and enjoys it. like you, I wasn't even looking for a twist, I was just "into it" and then, when it comes, it's sheer w t f. it didn't seem like a film where one was coming as you just get into it and engrossed. for me, my discovery of it wasn't even recommended. I was at a mates, and he had borrowed it. we stuck it on, knowing nothing at all about it, we hadn't even read the back of the box, and was hooked pretty much straight away.

I could be wrong but I mentioned a few up or pages ago, that I read that the actors were pretty much given pointers on where to be, as in an outcome of the conversation and the sort of tone, and in a lot of scenes they're just having a crack, I think that is visible in some of the scenes where I don't know.... they're themselves but in character. if you follow. but the amount of times I have seen that, women never like it. oh it looks scary etcetc. never mind. glad you enjoyed it. great british film that one, someone mentioned A Room For Romeo Brass too, and I will second that. I wouldn't call myself a film buff but Dead Mans Shoes especially floated my boat. I had no expectations , heard no hype and in the most natural unexpected way had a great film experience. I'll get t o this Swiss Army Man in time too. Happy to read other recommendations.

Just watched the Deepwater Horizon film with Wahlberg and Kurt Russell. Very good. I'm sure they mudt employed some license with the facts but they build up the tension to the inevitable very well. Better than the Everest film last year I think.

2 hours ago, Midfielder said:

I could be wrong but I mentioned a few up or pages ago, that I read that the actors were pretty much given pointers on where to be, as in an outcome of the conversation and the sort of tone, and in a lot of scenes they're just having a crack, I think that is visible in some of the scenes where I don't know.... they're themselves but in character. if you follow. 

Shane Meadows is renowned for working with loose scripts and letting the actors improvise. It's a method that has worked well for him since the days of 24/7. He's doesn't quite go as far as Mike Leigh but he's getting there. 

Edited by Designer1

30 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Shane Meadows is renowned for working with loose scripts and letting the actors improvise. It's a method that has worked well for him since the days of 24/7. He's doesn't quite go as far as Mike Leigh but he's getting there. 

Some of the best scenes in This Is England (and my favourite scenes in TV of all time) were unscripted too

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rodders said:

Just watched the Deepwater Horizon film with Wahlberg and Kurt Russell. Very good. I'm sure they mudt employed some license with the facts but they build up the tension to the inevitable very well. Better than the Everest film last year I think.

Did the film mention that it was American Halliburtons fault rather than  the British BP :P

Edited by tonyh29

10 hours ago, chappy said:

Some of the best scenes in This Is England (and my favourite scenes in TV of all time) were unscripted too

Yeah at times you can tell and it doesn't always work there's sometimes a lot of "yeah" exchanged but the on scene that you could tell was unscripted and absolutely smashed out of the park 

Spoiler

Lols rape scene in the to show

Absolutely stunning bit of acting, I like Johnny Harris but he's in hardly anything 

9 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Did the film mention that it was American Halliburtons fault rather than  the British BP :P

you'll be amazed to know the film took some liberties with the reality of the event,:P couple of the BP execs were teetering on caricature a bit; it definitely simplifies the good / bad people in terms of responsibility, but reading up afterwards, in terms of how the disaster unfolded it seems it was actually very accurate re the rest of what went on. 

Also one of those films where you really feel the power of the pressure building - figuratively and literally - and the collapse of it all, best experienced on large screens really. 

Tried watching The Infiltrator last night but turned it off before the hour mark, the characters weren't believable and the movie just felt like it was thrown together.  Ended up rewatching Dead Mans Shoes after popping into this thread for a suggestion and enjoyed it again having only watched it the once about 10 years ago. 

31 minutes ago, Bunnski said:

Tried watching The Infiltrator last night but turned it off before the hour mark, the characters weren't believable and the movie just felt like it was thrown together.  Ended up rewatching Dead Mans Shoes after popping into this thread for a suggestion and enjoyed it again having only watched it the once about 10 years ago. 

I have to agree.

I really wanted to like The Infiltrator being such a big fan of BC but it was just boring. I found myself messing around on my phone after half an hour and after an hour I just stopped watching altogether. Apparently Trumbo is the better of his recent films.

Blitz was on the telly last night but as I spotted it half way through I didn't want to watch from that point.  It has Paddy Considine, Aidan Gillen & Jason Statham in the main roles.  Wondering is it worth checking out as the cast look good.  Although the bit I did watch seemed to be Statham being almost caricaturedly* Statham-like, which seemed out of place in the scenes I saw.

* perfectly cromulent word.

5 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Yeah at times you can tell and it doesn't always work there's sometimes a lot of "yeah" exchanged but the on scene that you could tell was unscripted and absolutely smashed out of the park 

Hide contents

Lols rape scene in the to show

Absolutely stunning bit of acting, I like Johnny Harris but he's in hardly anything 

I think it's important that you go back and edit this. :o

Spoiler

It reads like you're "laughing out loud" at the rape scene, instead of  saying, "Lol's rape scene" :crylaugh:

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, BOF said:

Blitz was on the telly last night but as I spotted it half way through I didn't want to watch from that point.  It has Paddy Considine, Aidan Gillen & Jason Statham in the main roles.  Wondering is it worth checking out as the cast look good.  Although the bit I did watch seemed to be Statham being almost caricaturedly* Statham-like, which seemed out of place in the scenes I saw.

* perfectly cromulent word.

It's solid enough, although very much by the numbers and totally unoriginal - it's a lot less erm...'Stathamy' than much of his other output :)

1 hour ago, Meath_Villan said:

Another one for Dead Mans Shoes !!! what a flick .....how come I never came across this film before ?

The Film Thread delivers again.

to partly answer your question, because it's a zero bull s--- low key British film that wasn't hyped up in any way. Considering that is essential viewing and a few on here hadn't seen it, can I please just check you have seen the next must-see British offering from a few years ago. I expect you have but it will eat away at me to not throw out SEXY BEAST , just to make sure you've all seen that.

It's a 9/10 with unbelievable performance as Don by "sir Ben". Ray Winstone too at his best, probably his best. I know this is an obvious recommendation but in case that one flew under anyone's radar that is the next Midfielder essential viewing. I won't make many but I insist anyone reading this who is thinking w t f is Sexy Beast, you are hereby tasked this weekend to buy or hire that. 

• Like 1

"I HOPE THIS CRASHES. "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu_xTC5Gc2U

edit, it wont embed automatically. If you're bothered, this is a 3 min scene from the film that sums Ben Kinglsey's character, Don Loagan, up to a tee. You'll have to access it the old fashioned way! (ps... NSFW or kids)

Edited by Midfielder
Link didn't work

12 hours ago, Midfielder said:

expect you have but it will eat away at me to not throw out SEXY BEAST , just to make sure you've all seen that.

78cec8a0-b483-11e3-84f5-9547b2943d40_Ben

• Like 1

@Midfielder Kingsley is amazing as Logan but McShane is equally as chilling as the mob boss. Great film

While not as gritty, I do like Layer Cake, as British films go. Well worth a watch if you haven't seen it. 

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â