The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

13 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Mine is mostly gaming, or books. I never listen to music, and rarely watch TV or film.

Amelie is on my list for Friday night!

Prepare to be in love with Audrey Tautou.

On 31/08/2016 at 23:57, villa4europe said:

@snowychap is right about zootopia, that kind of slipped under the radar but that's good, at least that's a bit different and the world they created works, the missus also recommends life of pets

Not sure about it slipping "under the radar".

It's made over a billion dollars and will probably end up in the top 20 highest grossing films of all time.

Moonrise Kingdom.  Another off the previous list of top 100 and it was on Film 4 yesterday.  A stellar cast (Bill Murray, Norton, Willis, Keitel, Swinton, McDormond) ably supporting the 2 young leads.  Typically Wes Anderson, although the quirk is turned down to 7 on this (where The Life Aquatic would be a 10).  Funny, endearing and worth a watch if you like your Wes films. 7.5/10

• Like 3

6 hours ago, ml1dch said:

Not sure about it slipping "under the radar".

It's made over a billion dollars and will probably end up in the top 20 highest grossing films of all time.

from what i can remember it didnt have anywhere near the promotion that comes with the usual disney / pixar films, if you look at the marketing of zootopia compared to finding dory its nowhere near the same

It probably didn't help its exposure this side of the pond that it's called Zootropolis, seemingly because of a pre-existing European patent owning the name Zootopia.

Spotlight doesn't interest me in the slightest tbh, no matter how good it's supposed to be.  In fact that's an interesting question.  Like me, will the source material turn any of you off watching a film, even if that film is supposed to be good?  I know I'd be bored to tears.  Similarly, The Big Short.  Wild horses couldn't drag me to see that.

1 minute ago, BOF said:

Spotlight doesn't interest me in the slightest tbh, no matter how good it's supposed to be.  In fact that's an interesting question.  Like me, will the source material turn any of you off watching a film, even if that film is supposed to be good?  I know I'd be bored to tears.  Similarly, The Big Short.  Wild horses couldn't drag me to see that.

The big short certainly wouldn't bore you Brian. It's very well and pretty amusing throughout. 

Dont be put off by it being about the mortgage crash. 

However, anything with the name Bridget Jones in the title would stop me watching it! 

the big short manages to quickly skim over the bits that i didnt understand, it doesnt pin its hopes on the viewer being able to understand everything and still manages to work, id say there were some seemingly very basic stuff about the yank housing market and mortgages that i didnt understand which would have helped but nothing that spoils it and id say same with spotlight the performances and script make the film rather than the content

as for source material stopping me watching a film, dunno if you mean this but anything that is a cynical attempt to upset the viewer, marley and me and that teenage cancer film, im not watching that, anything that draws its "good" rating from its ability to clutch at your heart strings, nope, id also add anything that i think is going to be america, **** yeah, ive seen and enjoyed zero dark thirty but i think american sniper was the nail in the coffin, im not watching the likes of act of valor and the likes of restrepo

• Like 1

Yeah that's another very good example @villa4europe. I'd be the same.  Where Hollywood tries to re-write history under the pathetic guise of 'telling the real story' (my arse).  I did watch Argo, but I'm told it vastly played down, for example, Canada's contribution to that whole story almost entirely in favour of America's one.  I have no interest in stuff like Zero Dark Thirty or American Sniper and I can smell propogandist shit, or "America, **** yeah!" as you put it, a mile off.

I don't mind the 'upset the viewer' stuff so much.  I don't seek it out, but I've watched a few of them and they're fine.

Watched the latest Captain America film a few days back, was pretty much as expected, really starting to feel the action hero fatigue so I'm probably not the target audience.

Thought it was rather boring, probably on par with the last Avengers movie 6/10, at least it was better than the Batman vs Superman one.

The Big Short is genuinely fantastic. I've no real interest in watching a movie about a financial crash, but the way the movie approaches it sidesteps that. It doesn't bog down in detail. Where it has to explain a concept, which happens 3 times or so, it does so cleverly by lampshading it. And it's brilliantly funny.

I've also seen Zero Dark Thirty and American Sniper. I have as much disdain for 'America, **** yeah!' as anyone else, I didn't get that from either movie. Zero Dark Thirty is actively dull and it's most heinous moment is implying torture is OK. Otherwise it seems on the surface fairly benign. American Sniper is just the story of a man really. It avoids some of the grimmer stuff about him, but the only real US propaganda-ish stuff I recall is the documentary footage at the end. Then again I can barely recall much of it.

As for stuff that I try to avoid... I try to avoid anything that is openly mawkish, the kind of stuff where you know the point of the movie is someone dies and pulls your heartstrings, and I also try to avoid the more openly cynical stuff Hollywood puts out - you can spot a mile away when they've found a trend and start to push it. Recently it was the YA dystopian fable franchise after the Hunger Games took off and they started churning any book series aimed at teenage girls in an allegory for various elements of growing up, and they're universally shite. If I can see your allegories in the very structure of the film plainly the moment I see the trailer, you've **** up.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â