The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

2 hours ago, Rodders said:

List reminds me I re watched Lost in Translation recently, 8/9 years after hating it when I first saw it. Won't quite say it was a total 180 on it, but I appreciate it far more now in fairness, reasonably enjoyable 2nd time round.

Probably in my top 5 films of all time. Love it

Spring Breakers is the stand out on that list for me too, it's almost like multiple voters thought 'well, we can't put in Kids, Gummo, or Julian Donkey Boy, and I loved those, so let's put that recent one in instead'. 

I did like Enter the Void though. Love it, in fact. It is still the 'most awesome' (I find that the best way to describe it) experience I've had in a cinema. 150 minute salvia trip. But what do I know, I'd probably put all 4 of Noe's films in a top 100. Although upon googling, I stand alone was 98 apparently. Do just the 3 then. 

A few off the top of my head that would be right at home on the list (unless I've missed them) - Brick, Lilya 4eva, A ma souer, mysterious skin, all about lily chou chou, hard candy, battle royal... 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Designer1 said:

The setting, the music, the acting, the direction, the simple-on-the-surface yet very complex story (there's some excellent articles online breaking the whole thing down and the level of detail is fantastic) the whole mood of the piece and the fact that it works on so many different levels (metaphysical / social for example) and it's ability to switch between genres without being jarring.

He (Richard Kelly) did the old 'catching lightning in a bottle' and as he's shown since, he'll never write or direct anything like it again.

It's unique, fascinating, and I love every single frame of it.

Just avoid the Directors Cut, and the less said about the 'sequel' the better ;)

Doesn't the Director's Cut include the excerpts from the book the old woman wrote which helps explain things a lot more clearly though? I always thought that a lot of the people who disliked it may have seen the version without those bits so they found it hard to understand, though perhaps that's oversimplifying things.

I have to say I'm in the 'loved it' camp though.

Spoiler

What's a f***-ass?' :D

Edited by Ginko

Just watched suicide squad. Holy shit it is bad. Leto is like a characture because of the screen time he is given and the way his scenes are cut.

will he get another chance? Maybe they need to let the character lie for another 10 years. Jake Gyllenhall or Paul Dano as the next joker for me. 

Edited by Nicho

So last night's entertainment was Mulholland Drive.  That was interesting.  I can see why it's at the top of that list, but I do personally think films like that can be a little on the frustrating side.  It was only in the last 20 minutes that I began to have a proper clue of what was going on, as he starts to fill in the big gaps.  Which means you spend the first 2hrs like this and not particularly enjoying it all. Typical David Lynch I suppose.  Definitely requires a 2nd viewing and some internet reading as well. 8/10 WPBA

I've now had Eraserhead recommended to me but only because I'm told that's even more of a headphooq.

And then there was Laura Harring.

wolf-of-wall-street-02_0.jpg

While we're on the subject of Lynch, have you seen Straight Story @BOF?

Cannot recommend that enough. The most un-Lynch like film he's ever made, and a completely wonderful, uplifting experience.

Edited by Designer1

Just now, Designer1 said:

Cannot recommend that enough. The most un-Lynch like film ever, and a completely wonderful, uplifting experience.

I haven't.  I'll give it a watch, but I won't read up on it beforehand.  I like going in completely unarmed/disarmed :) 

• Like 1

Lost Highway is another Lynch film that is quite similar to Mulholland Drive. Naomi Watts and Patrick Fischler are going to be in the new Twin Peaks, I even read somewhere that they've filmed a scene at the diner where the guy (Fischler) talks about his dream. So there's talk that the new TP and MD are going to be somehow connected. Lynch has said in the past that they're set in the same universe, and Mulholland Drive was originally going to be a TV series.

5 hours ago, BOF said:

So last night's entertainment was Mulholland Drive.  That was interesting.  I can see why it's at the top of that list, but I do personally think films like that can be a little on the frustrating side.  It was only in the last 20 minutes that I began to have a proper clue of what was going on, as he starts to fill in the big gaps.  Which means you spend the first 2hrs like this and not particularly enjoying it all. Typical David Lynch I suppose.  Definitely requires a 2nd viewing and some internet reading as well. 8/10 WPBA

I've now had Eraserhead recommended to me but only because I'm told that's even more of a headphooq.

And then there was Laura Harring.

wolf-of-wall-street-02_0.jpg

Eraserhead is brilliant. Get yourself in the mood first though. You need to want a weird and freaky movie. 

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

Eraserhead is brilliant. Get yourself in the mood first though. You need to want a weird and freaky movie. 

In Heaven everything is fine....

On 25/08/2016 at 10:25, Designer1 said:

Cannot recommend that enough. The most un-Lynch like film he's ever made, and a completely wonderful, uplifting experience.

Watched it last night.  Yep, really good.  I do like those kind of films.  Funnily enough, in that 'uplifting' film I found the most powerful scene to be the one in the bar sharing their WWII stories.  Definitely an 8/10.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, V01 said:

"Rhona Mitra, I'll probably watch that now"

Oh yes.

Her norks played a great supporting role in The Hollow Man

5 hours ago, Warnock said:

Anything decent on Netflix or NOW TV worth watching at the mo? It's so hit and miss trying to find stuff. Any genre!

Martian? Everest? latest Star Wars? The Walk? Sicario? Creed?

All fairly new to those platforms

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â