The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Watched Creed while waiting for a delayed flight yesterday.  Thought it was a really good addition to the Rocky family, and I look forward to Creed 2 next year.

8 hours ago, trekka said:

I watched the new Independence Day last night.

Absolute trash.  It was like a bad B movie.  

It looked proper shit from the trailer. Thanks for confirming. 

It almost plays on knowing that it's shit, there's a couple of moments where it takes the piss out of itself

watched finding dory earlier, very good, maybe lacked a bit of the magic of the first film, hank is a great character 

Watched O Brother Where Art Thou for about the tenth time last night but it had been a while. So good, probably my favourite Coen brothers comedy. Just edges Fargo and TBL for me.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Meath_Villan said:

The new x men .........what a load of shite 

All the x-men movies... what a load of shite

Edited by Xela

Spectre:

I liked it! Typical Bond fare. 7/10

One criticism is that I thought it was about 20 minutes too long 

51UxlWan90L._AC_UL320_SR214,320_.jpg

Heard lots of good things about Zootropolis and in the mood for something light and colourful, gave that a watch this weekend.

One of the best things Disney have done. Takes a hackneyed concept and makes it relevant, looks absolutely stunning, a great voice cast, and surprisingly funny. And not in the 'jokes for the kids and subversive stuff for the adults' way. There's lots of stuff that will genuinely make all ages laugh, and a couple of cases where the joke works across ages - kids will laugh because something is just funny, the adults will laugh on that level as well as noticing a reference or trope the movie is playing with.

Recommended.

• Like 4

I liked Zootropolis a lot too. I'd have it on par with Big Hero 6 as the best animations of the last few years.

Looking forward to the rest of the year, I've a few on my 'must watch' list.

This looks great/heartbreaking

This looks essential

This has Emily Blunt and the book is apparently a good yarn.

This because anything by Andrea Arnold is worth watching

This because Weiner Dogs

And finally this because it's by Jim Jaramush

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Xela said:

Spectre:

I liked it! Typical Bond fare. 7/10

One criticism is that I thought it was about 20 minutes too long 

51UxlWan90L._AC_UL320_SR214,320_.jpg

Thought it was a bit dull to be honest. The car chase is especially boring.

I feel like they missed a trick not making Bautista's character the new Jaws. He could have been injured in the mouth on the train somehow and then come back at the end and smiled revealing some low-key metal teeth. It would have been a nice little nod, though not enough to save the film.

Edited by Ginko

Watched Star Trek, it was ok, probably a 6/10 for me, good enough story, good characters, my problem was the directing...you know that really cool bit in the Star Wars trailers where the millennium falcon swoops over and then flips round and the camera follows it...imagine that for 90 minutes...there was a lot of action that should have been pretty cool and it just wasn't 

16 hours ago, Chindie said:

Heard lots of good things about Zootropolis and in the mood for something light and colourful, gave that a watch this weekend.

One of the best things Disney have done. Takes a hackneyed concept and makes it relevant, looks absolutely stunning, a great voice cast, and surprisingly funny. And not in the 'jokes for the kids and subversive stuff for the adults' way. There's lots of stuff that will genuinely make all ages laugh, and a couple of cases where the joke works across ages - kids will laugh because something is just funny, the adults will laugh on that level as well as noticing a reference or trope the movie is playing with.

Recommended.

Agreed.  I have a 4 year old daughter and I'm watching fc-ukloads of these films. Zootropolis was a good un. Compare and contrast to the secret life of pets, which despite good animation and cool trailer, really disappointed. 

Could not sleep yesterday so I decided to watch something I knew would put me to sleep.

Even going in with really low expectations the new Independence Day movie really was terrible.

Did it's job thou as I can't remember the end, must have fallen asleep.

Â