The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

15 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

On a side note just watched Lion King, for the first time in ages. Whether you like animation or not, you can't deny that it is a truly amazing film. 

I've never seen it.

1 minute ago, BOF said:

I've never seen it.

I'd never seen it until yesterday. I can only presume it's since been outshone by its' successors. It was OK but not great. I'd imagine at the time though it was probably the best thing evs.

It's like Frozen. Kids went mad for it, their parents too, the thing itself is alright, songs are good, but if you watch it as an adult who isn't massively into Disney anymore (if you ever were), there's only so much you can take from it.

I watched it yesterday too, as well as Willow. Willow, unlike Lion King, is still cracking good fun and a properly good adventure/fantasy movie which is worth a look. Bit gruesome and scary in parts for kids though. It was one of those movies I would watch endlessly as a 7 year old, and it all came back to me as certain scenes started, I can't recall being scared by any parts of it, but in hindsight...those dog things! The trolls! The two headed best! Pigs! PIGS! ALL OF YOU PIGS! Creepy.

Warwick Davis was 18 at the time, and looks barely a day over 12.

25 minutes ago, hogso said:

It's like Frozen. Kids went mad for it, their parents too, the thing itself is alright, songs are good, but if you watch it as an adult who isn't massively into Disney anymore (if you ever were), there's only so much you can take from it.

disagree, frozen IMO isnt a particularly good film it just has 2 really catchy songs that the popularity was built around

the lion king on the other hand is a cracking film with 2/3 good songs added in, much like Aladdin 

89-99 is disneys proper golden age IMO, little mermaid, lion king, mulan, hunchback, beauty and the beast, hercules even rescuers down under 

On 11/07/2016 at 16:05, Designer1 said:

fundamentalsofcaring.jpg

Quite entertaining in an 'indie-by-numbers' way, and if you're a fan of Rudd and Roberts (as I am) then you'll probably enjoy it.

Yep, gave it a watch the other day.  Enjoyable enough.  Plenty of good/funny moments in it and I always enjoy funny men playing a straight(er) role.  Gomez and Rudd were good.  I did struggle to take to Roberts' character though, even knowing he was supposed to be difficult.

9 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Keep saying it, but Paul Rudd rarely does bad films.

Even if he isn't an integral part of the movie, they're always enjoyable films.

Yep, very likeable chap.

Very good in many things but particularly stood out in Prince Avalanche.

Yep, big Paul Rudd fan. 

He's a very comfortable actor to watch. Like slipping on that old pair of slippers you adore. Whilst I don't find him overly challenging I know he's never going to let me down. That's a very valuable skill. 

As you say he has an eye for great screenplays as well, clearly. 

A lot of my favourite comedies of the past 10-15 years has Paul Rudd in it.

Like you say, it's comfortable. I'm not going to be watching an Oscar winning masterpiece, but I'll spend 90 minutes laughing most likely.

He does benefit from being a part of that Seth Rogen clique.  Rudd is in a lot of good comedies because he's almost in all comedies :) As you say, not always in a major role, although he's becoming more prominent now.  His days of being relatively in the background are probably over for good.

Our Idiot Brother must be the exception to rule regarding Paul Rudd.

I love you man is probably on my top 5 comedies of the last 5 years, what a great film that was. Even Role Models was 10 times better than it had any right to be.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

I love you man is probably on my top 5 comedies of the last 5 years

2009's I Love You Man is on your list of the last 5 years?

[/Pedant]

• Like 4

Keanu_poster.png

been wanting to watch it for ages, its good, its not hilariously funny but it has its moments and the kitten is ridiculously cute 7/10

Triple_9_poster.jpg

another one ive been waiting a long time to see, awesome cast, decent enough setting...just doesnt do anything with it that hasnt been done before 6/10

Warcraft_Teaser_Poster.jpg

not as bad as i thought it would be, i think a lot of its issues are with warcraft itself, the orcs are chunky and obviously CGI and just look a bit shit but i dont know what else they could do, the fel stuff is a bit weak too, at times it feels like they dont do enough with the source material (especially in the world building) and at others it feels like the source material is part of why its not that good 5/10

22 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Le Feu Follet?

It's a masterpiece, only slightly dented by three decades of slightly derivative aftershave adverts.

I haven't seen it! Sounds a bit foreign.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â