The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

On 7/11/2016 at 16:05, Designer1 said:

fundamentalsofcaring.jpg

Quite entertaining in an 'indie-by-numbers' way, and if you're a fan of Rudd and Roberts (as I am) then you'll probably enjoy it.

Watched this too and absolutely loved it. Genuinely entertaining from start to finish, a bit schmaltzy in places but they managed to balance the schmaltz with a few giggles and the occasional almighty belly laugh. It was a bit "by the numbers" but it was far from "phoned in" if you catch my drift, you could feel the love for the project oozing from the screen throughout. 

• Like 1

On 7/12/2016 at 14:12, BOF said:

An eclectic mix over the last few days.  Some better than others.

Zoolander 2 - 4.5/10
The Station Agent 8/10
Locke - 7.5/10
The Nice Guys - 8/10

243361.jpg220px-Station-agent-poster.jpgv1.bTsxMTE4MDAxNTtqOzE3MDk0OzEyMDA7ODAwOThe_Nice_Guys_poster.png

Just watched The Nice Guys and really enjoyed it, but I think Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is the slightly better Shane Long movie.

7.5/10 WB

Just seen Ghostbusters.

Um.

The trailers were dreadful. The reaction has been dreadful. The movie? It's not very good.

It's badly edited, the CGI is... alright but hampered by horrible creature design, the story is paper thin and plot basically just a frame to hang 3 set pieces off. The characters aren't as endearing as they need to be, with McKinnon's character being a particularly dreadful presence in the entire thing. Melissa McCarthy plays herself, Kristen Wiig is lumbered with the straight man role but is the most likable of them all, and Jones just misses being an irritating caricature of a 'sassy African-American woman'. Hemsworth steals every scene playing against type as a moron. The cameos vary, but none elevate themselves beyond a smile.

But the biggest problem though?

It's not funny.

In fact it's bizarre how not funny it is. The movie plays as a full on comedy smashed into an action movie. It's going for laughs. It's throwing gags everywhere. And some of them aren't bad jokes or set ups. But for a variety of reasons they fall flat, be that poor (genuinely poor) performance, poor editing, or being far too on the nose. The movie seems to throw out a gag and almost wait for the laugh. It kills every bit of humour stone dead. There were only 2 or 3 actual laughs, for me, all of them from the more low key gags that slowly dissipate as the movie crawls to it's conclusion.

It isn't dreadful, it's probably better than it had any right to be, but it's not good. Nothing to do with it being a female cast, and nothing really to do with it being a reboot of a beloved 'franchise'. It just isn't very good.

That you can go watch the original afterwards only serves to reiterate that. The first movie is a stone cold classic, 30 years old but still hysterically funny, eminently quotable. This movie wants to slyly remind you of that film but only achieves reminding you how good that was and how bad this is.

• Like 1

Well, this looks rather splendid.

Directed by JA Bayona (he of the superb Orphanage) and boasting an excellent cast and a beautiful visual style.

Fingers crossed it lives up to the trailer and wipes out the memory of Bayonas pretty awful 'The Impossible'.

• Like 3

Ghostbusters as a standalone action film is watchable as a comedy its quite poor. 2 of the actresses were OK and the other 2 very annoying, Chris Hemworth was good though a little predictable. bad guy is extremely weak as well

the biggest laugh was 

Spoiler

Bill Murray turning up for his cameo which was ironically the unfunniest of all the cameos. sadly I wanted a Rick Morans cameo :( 

Edited by Zatman

Zodiac Directors Cut tonight.

Undeservedly forgotten, it's a fascinating masterpiece about an utterly engrossing true story (and slavishly accurate to that story) of one of the most famous unsolved serial killer cases ever.

It's a film fascinated by the search for the Zodiac. About the way detective work happens and about the way 5 people can be murdered and the murderer (...perhaps?) escape and even taunt his hunters.

One of the best movies of the 2000s.

• Like 2

Gave Guardians of the Galaxy another go. It was OK. At times it is a bit try hard and the mixtape just doesn't work at all for me. The characters are paper thin and the final third follows the same predictable path as every comic book film. It did make me laugh, however, and it was paced well which is something the Marvel films struggle with big time (imo). It is a solid enough, switch your brain off kind of film. Not the great piece of cinema that many have made it out to be, but better than most recent comic book fare.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner

10 hours ago, CarewsEyebrowDesigner said:

Gave Guardians of the Galaxy another go. It was OK. At times it is a bit try hard and the mixtape just doesn't work at all for me. The characters are paper thin and the final third follows the same predictable path as every comic book film. It did make me laugh, however, and it was paced well which is something the Marvel films struggle with big time (imo). It is a solid enough, switch your brain off kind of film. Not the great piece of cinema that many have made it out to be, but better than most recent comic book fare.

I thought I was the only one!

Didn't work for me either. At all. 

Don't get me wrong, there are some awesome songs on the soundtrack. but it absolutely did not work as the soundtrack to that kind of film.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I thought I was the only one!

Didn't work for me either. At all. 

Don't get me wrong, there are some awesome songs on the soundtrack. but it absolutely did not work as the soundtrack to that kind of film.

I thought the soundtrack absolutely made the film. The mix was perfect for the retro feel. From Peter Quill showboating to 'Come and get your love' to the heavy guitar in 'Moonage Daydream' during Star Wars style space scenes, it was perfect.

Just my opinion :)

• Like 1

The music was intrusive and frankly I could happily go my whole life without hearing any of it again. That the mixtape gave the main character a plot device that allowed for some, very minor, character development was something at least. He was still a bland Malcolm Reynolds-lite, though.

I really don't understand the hype that was around this film at the time. But then maybe the teens that went to see it had never seen a Tarantino movie and found the use of pop music to punctuate action scenes to be completely mind blowing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CarewsEyebrowDesigner said:

The music was intrusive and frankly I could happily go my whole life without hearing any of it again. That the mixtape gave the main character a plot device that allowed for some, very minor, character development was something at least. He was still a bland Malcolm Reynolds-lite, though.

I really don't understand the hype that was around this film at the time. But then maybe the teens that went to see it had never seen a Tarantino movie and found the use of pop music to punctuate action scenes to be completely mind blowing.

38, seen plenty of movies with that kind of device. Still blown away by GOTG.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CarewsEyebrowDesigner said:

I really don't understand the hype that was around this film at the time. 

Same.

Don't get me wrong, I liked it. Liked it a lot in fact.

But it's far from amazing.

11 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Same.

Don't get me wrong, I liked it. Liked it a lot in fact.

But it's far from amazing.

For me it's mostly by comparison. It is Citizen Kane against most of what Marvel have put out of late.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â