The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Just watched The Big Short...a bit gimmicky, and kind of piggybacks on the Wolf of Wall Street aesthetic. But worth watching. I still don't know how Brad Pitt has an acting career though..

An eclectic mix over the last few days.  Some better than others.

Zoolander 2 - 4.5/10
The Station Agent 8/10
Locke - 7.5/10
The Nice Guys - 8/10

243361.jpg220px-Station-agent-poster.jpgv1.bTsxMTE4MDAxNTtqOzE3MDk0OzEyMDA7ODAwOThe_Nice_Guys_poster.png

10 minutes ago, BOF said:

The Station Agent 8/10

My love for that movie knows no bounds :)

Lost count of the amount of times i've watched it. It's just fantastic.

1 minute ago, Designer1 said:

You were the reason I watched it thanks to your small film review :):thumb: Same with Locke.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Going back briefly to Locke.  Fair to say it was nothing like what I expected.  One of the reasons I watched it was "Oh look, Ruth Wilson is in it"... yeah...  Still, a surprisingly enjoyable watch.  Is just the right run time, and Hardy is brilliant as usual.  I wasn't sure of the Welsh accent at the start, but you gradually forget about it.  Although he clearly draws from Anthony Hopkins :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

what!

i like brad pitt, there are a couple of roles where he is just going through the motions especially in the last couple of years as i think he's focused more on his family and his production company but he's in a lot of good films, usually films where he doesnt go hunting for a best actor nod, think he's in that position of luxury where he's making films that he actually wants to make

seven monkeys, snatch, seven, sleepers. jesse james, 12 years a slave, big short, fight club, babel, oceans 11, moneyball, fury, basterds, all good films

and his production company, plan B, if you look at his easy roles they are in films where he's adding his star appeal in small roles, big short is one of them, so is 12 years a slave

Id go as far as saying he is fantastic in all the films highlighted. These films all have different roles and he certainly couldnt be type case from any of them. He has a fair few terrible films though and I havnt seen a good new Pitt film for a while.

like i said i think he's focusing on production

world war z is probably the only film he's starred in the last couple of years and once you've got your head around it not being the book i didnt think that was a bad film

plan B in the last couple of years have done the big short, selma, 12 years a slave, kick ass, WWZ, killing them softly, moneyball, tree of life, eat pray love, time travelers wife

only really killing them softly is bad film IMO

3 hours ago, BOF said:

Going back briefly to Locke.  Fair to say it was nothing like what I expected.  One of the reasons I watched it was "Oh look, Ruth Wilson is in it"... yeah...  Still, a surprisingly enjoyable watch.  Is just the right run time, and Hardy is brilliant as usual.  I wasn't sure of the Welsh accent at the start, but you gradually forget about it.  Although he clearly draws from Anthony Hopkins :)

my problem with Locke was that I work in construction for a main contractor and i can't pinpoint the exact issue with it but I can remember that it simply doesn't work like that so most of the work stuff just annoyed me, the Welsh stuff I didn't quite understand why they bothered but like you say by the end I'd got use to it

11 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

my problem with Locke was that I work in construction for a main contractor and i can't pinpoint the exact issue with it but I can remember that it simply doesn't work like that so most of the work stuff just annoyed me, the Welsh stuff I didn't quite understand why they bothered but like you say by the end I'd got use to it

I did my usual of looking up the trivia section of IMDb for the movie afterwards and it turns out the numbers used in the dialogue are not impressive in reality. Perhaps that's what annoyed you. To me it was all total gobbledygook but it sounded plausible and impressive :)

yeah they keep emphasing this massive concrete pour that in reality isn't actually that big, the sites massive though, like a proper >£100m project that you see very few of in brum, they keep emphasising the size of the job...but on a £10m job you'd have a 2 man site team, contacts manager, engineer etc his role and responsibilites simply don't exist, that kind of pressure can exist trust me but not in the manner that the film is written, the idea that 1 man would on the responsibility of the biggest concrete pour since the Hoover dam on his shoulders alone just didn't work for me

basically what they did was came up with an occupation that could be used as a metaphor 

Wow there have been some shockingly terrible films released recently...

Batman V Superman... Warcraft the movie.... i'm just waiting for Independence day 2 to complete the triple

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, AshVilla said:

Wow there have been some shockingly terrible films released recently...

Batman V Superman... Warcraft the movie.... i'm just waiting for Independence day 2 to complete the triple

If we stop watching them they will stop making them, I'm certainly doing my bit.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â