The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Finally watched Drive last night. No idea why it took so long.

No doubt some people would call it a bit poncey but the cinematography was excellent, storyline simple yet engaging and the run time felt about right.

7.5/10.

1 hour ago, stewiek2 said:

Regards the reshoots for Rogue One, someone in the AICN talkback posted this:

I have colleagues who are working for one of the CG FX houses in London on this. Here's what I was told by one of them about a month ago:

Disney had already planned, and budgeted, for reshoots to be scheduled for this summer. The movie was rushed into production using early drafts of the script because they had to do so in order to meet the December 2016 release.

So the plan was to shoot what script they had (though they did bring on Christopher McQuarrie to do rewrites while the film was shooting), put together an initial edit of the film with temp FX in, and scrutinize the result. From there, decisions would be made on what needed to be done to "punch up" the movie.

The company these colleagues work for were being paid by Disney to remain "on call" to be ready to immediately work on new CG FX to go with whatever new footage is shot. At the time I was told this, they were twiddling around, waiting for the call, being paid by Disney to do nothing until they were needed to get back to work. (Disney has that amount of money to spend.)

So I'm inclined to say that this gossip report that Disney is trying to save the movie or thinks what they have now is disappointing is BS.

The story changed yesterday to Disney wanting to make it more 'Star Wars' in tone. Its completely normal for blockbusters to reshoot but it's odd to have that story become that there's a problem and that so many reports were that Disney weren't hair with what they had.

I don't think that contradicts what is said by the chap on AICN, but more of a change in spin...

22 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

No doubt some people would call it a bit poncey but the cinematography was excellent, storyline simple yet engaging and the run time felt about right.

7.5/10.

I watched Drive and then I watched it with someone who really knows their stuff re- direction.  Must say I missed a lot on my own.  It's a wonderful film and JMHO far above a 7.5/10.

• Like 2

Drive is one of my favourite movies of the last few years, and also one of the few, if not only, movies where I have integrated the soundtrack into my playlist. 

The director has his next film, Neon Demon, coming up. It's not going to be Drive, but it might be interesting. Has a great look to it if nothing else. Whether there's any substance, who knows.

• Like 1

Comrade Kim goes flying finally gets a proper release

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/comradekimgoesflying

One of the men that helped make it was my guide during my trip and I saw the rough outline and a few shots of the film  so it will be nice to finally see the finished version .

for sure you aren't going to learn anything about the DPRK regime from this but it looked like a fun sugar coated film for a lazy Sunday afternoon for those that like foreign language films

3 hours ago, BOF said:

I watched Drive and then I watched it with someone who really knows their stuff re- direction.  Must say I missed a lot on my own.  It's a wonderful film and JMHO far above a 7.5/10.

As I said it looks great and the sound track is great but that doesn't mean its a great movie, you could say the same about Spring Breakers tbf.

I thought the story was a bit too simple to rate it any higher, but maybe that was the point.

As I said it looks great and the sound track is great but that doesn't mean its a great movie, you could say the same about Spring Breakers tbf.

I thought the story was a bit too simple to rate it any higher, but maybe that was the point.

I just found it interesting to have stuff pointed out to me on the second viewing. I love learning about stuff that I think I know but which actually I don't. That's all. I'm not saying you're right or wrong. As a result in really looking forward to Refn's next movie.

Drive is a solid genre movie but falls short of greatness because the main character and plot aren't all that interesting. It does have style, and the soundtrack and visuals are fantastic, which sets it above the trappings of what is essentially a modern western plot.

I didn't get on with Only God Forgives but I can see why some loved it because there is something interesting going on beneath the surface, but (for me) Refn's style got in the way and made the movie a chore to sit through.

But he, like Ben Wheatley, at least takes risks and the results are always worth checking out.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

7.5/10.

Most people on here love it, from what I recall. I thought it was pretty poor and completely uninteresting. It's something I keep thinking "I should watch it again, maybe I'm missing something", but I just can't bring myself to waste a few hours on it again.

• Like 2

night_moves_ver4_xlg.jpg

I'm not sure what to make of this one, but it has stayed with me. Strong performances across the board, although everyone is very low-key. Eisenberg in particular does well to turn his usual quirky neuroticism into a darker paranoia. The film itself is pretty slow paced and very character driven, but I think it works. The first half is the more conventional, and the set-piece it builds to is very tense and well done, and the second is more... novelistic maybe? In that it really focuses on what the characters are going through psychologically more than anything. I think I admired it more than liked it, but it is certainly worth checking out.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, CarewsEyebrowDesigner said:

night_moves_ver4_xlg.jpg

I'm not sure what to make of this one, but it has stayed with me. Strong performances across the board, although everyone is very low-key. Eisenberg in particular does well to turn his usual quirky neuroticism into a darker paranoia. The film itself is pretty slow paced and very character driven, but I think it works. The first half is the more conventional, and the set-piece it builds to is very tense and well done, and the second is more... novelistic maybe? In that it really focuses on what the characters are going through psychologically more than anything. I think I admired it more than liked it, but it is certainly worth checking out.

I found it a little too quiet and slow to be honest, although I agree about the strong performances.

It will always stick with me though, as we also had World War Z to watch that particular weekend and halfway through Night Moves, my wife turned to me and said "where's the zombies?"

Brie Larson is the front runner to play Captain Marvel, it seems.

Wouldn't be the first person I'd hire. Good actress but she isn't Carol Danvers IMO. Rebecca Ferguson is more like it.

act40.jpg

Finally got around to watching the Directors cut of this Giallo classic.

For some reason i'd only ever seen the version with 20 or so minutes cut out so it's nice to see it in full (and the Blu ray print is excellent). The extra bits include some very strange scenes of oddball humour, which could be misconstrued as ill-fitting but to me they just made the whole experience even more bonkers and surreal.

Anyone who's a fan of Argentos work who hasn't seen this cut should get on it asap :thumb:

On 03/06/2016 at 06:36, kurtsimonw said:

Most people on here love it, from what I recall. I thought it was pretty poor and completely uninteresting. It's something I keep thinking "I should watch it again, maybe I'm missing something", but I just can't bring myself to waste a few hours on it again.

me too but I haven't been able to like anything Gosling has done since lars and the real girl. 

Finally got round to seeing Lake Mungo tonight. Absolutely top drawer. A compelling story, great acting, some great shots (bedroom fading into darkness at start was brill, really set the tone), a running sense of dread and unease throughout and truly quite unnerving at times. A superb debut film and such a shame that Joel Anderson hasn't done a single film since this in 2008. 

9/10.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â