The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

What do you mean? It features the bloke who played Burnside in The Bill attacking chavs in hoodies with cleavers! ;)

Danny Dyer's daughter (Dani) is in it.

WB

Beautiful smackdown of the latest X Men in Little White Lies...

The third instalment in the rebooted comic book franchise is a colossal failure on every conceivable level.

There’s a moment in X-Men: Apocalypse when Sophie Turner’s Jean Grey offers a withering review of Return of the Jedi while on an unauthorised class trip to the local mall. “Everyone knows the third film is always the worst,” she quips – the insinuation trading on the audience’s assumed collective antipathy towards 2006’s The Last Stand. It’s a cheap gag, albeit one that succeeds in eliciting the desired response. But here’s the kicker: this knowingly ironic exercise in autoschadenfreude is even more meta than it first appears. Because not only is Apocalypse the dullest, most derivative X-Men movie to date, it is, pound-for-pound, the worst comic book movie in recent memory.

I quite liked the last two tbh. Daft, flawed, but fun.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner

On 20 April 2016 at 23:00, HanoiVillan said:

I'd be interested in your thoughts on Eye In The Sky Tony. I thought it was quite a good film. The premise is obviously very contrived, but it's well acted and I spent a few days mulling it over after I saw it. You seem like someone who doesn't mind a military-based 'what if', so you might get a kick out of it. 

Better late than never .... eye in the sky tonight...

On paper you'd think they would struggle to fill enough time to make a 1 hr 40 min long film on this but they do and they do it really well

in an era where monotonous super hero films are boring us to tears it's refreshing to finally have your faith in film making restored .... It was engaging , thought provoking and it was also entertaining without the need for repetitive fight scenes broken up by a wise crack .... It might just be the best film I'll see in 2016 .

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, CarewsEyebrowDesigner said:

Beautiful smackdown of the latest X Men in Little White Lies...

I quite liked the last two tbh. Daft, flawed, but fun.

The "worst X-Men movie to date" makes it pretty much the worst film of all time.

Awful movies. 

The first trilogy was pants but I liked the recent ones. I prefer them to the other Marvel films. Although the last one showed signs of the same problems they all have: too long, too many characters and a tendency to follow the same pattern and end in a big crash bang wallop destruction. In fact they are starting to resemble (more than ever) very expensive television: serialized and formulaic.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner

ad_206356095.jpg

First pic of Idris Elba on the Dark Tower set as Roland Deschain. Hard to believe it's actually happening. Where is the Horn of Eld?

Fwiw, the Horn of Eld is basically an item that would a ) serve as a massive nod to fans but more importantly b ) show that this is a completely new iteration of Roland's quest, therefore giving writers license to do whatever they want whilst keeping it canon - infact, I guess you'd call it a sequel to the novels.

Those Sandalwood grips.

the problem for me with X-Men is they take itself a bit too serious and except Deadpool(if it counts) and Wolverine a lot of the characters are wrote as if they are throwaway characters

X-Men franchise...

X-Men 1 - decent early modern comic book fair, bit undercooked but good ideas and a good cast (generally). And some famously dreadful dialogue.

X-Men 2 - Genuinely good movie, takes the good from the first film and ramps it up, picks up a common thread from the comics, that mutants are subject to discrimination from normal people, and makes a good yarn out of it, with Brian Cox making for a decent villain

X-Men 3 - Bryan Singer leaves, Brett Ratner takes over, they decide to take another of the series big ideas (a mutant cure) and ramp up the spectacle, and it's shit.

First Class - Reboot back to the 60s. Originally 2 movies, First Class and Origins: Magneto, generally good cast, the Magneto stuff is genuinely excellent, First Class less so, undercooked again but gets away with it due to the charm of the cast of Fassbender/McAvoy dragging it along.

Days of Future Past - Take a classic time travel story, smash the old cast and new cast together, and it works. Really good.

Origins: Wolverine - Absolutely, entirely without merit. Dreadful. Awful CGI, rubbish plot, weak cast, takes the Deadpool character and completely bins it.., hopeless.

The Wolverine - Decent Wolverine yarn, gets increasingly silly but a fun ride.

Deadpool - budget R-rated satire of a comic book movie whilst being a comic book movie, great but absolutely divisive.

The series has basically been decent all along and occasionally great, occassionally dreadful, they stumbled on Hugh Jackman (it was originally going to be Dougray Scott playing Wolverine...) who despite being nothing like the character smashes it. That has become a flaw of the series that takes it away from it's roots, the X-Men have always been about the way their powers interact and as a result it's an ensemble, whereas the movies generally decided that Xavier and Eric are pretty much plot framework and Wolverine is the main character surrounded by some reasonably boring bit part additional characters. They've suffered for villains badly - Magneto is THE X-Men villain but his story and the performance by McKellen/Fassbender makes him too likable/understandable to out and out make him evil, so they pretty much fudge it, benefitting the character and his sparking off Xavier but killing his threat. Apocalypse was supposed to change that with a genuine big bad entering fray... unfortunately he's so 90s it hurts...

I'm seeing Apocalypse this weekend, can't say I'm expecting much.

• Like 1

I wouldn't describe X Men 2 as a genuinely good movie if you paid me.

Terrible film. Yet it's probably the best of them, excluding Deadpool.

Edited by Stevo985

You're really against the grain on that one as said before ;)

What is it about the X-Men series that you don't like particularly?

I'm obviously partial to this stuff but I don't like them that much really, but I'd struggle to sit down and list out why someone might hate 2, unless they just hated anything of that sort. There's nothing that I can think of that's genuinely bad about it.

X-Men is easily the best of the comic book genre series  ...

Jennifer Lawrence sorta naked and Famke Janssen who just has that look of pure filth about her ... no other series can even come close  , even Thor have chopped Natalie Portman out of their films and lost huge brownie points with me

11 minutes ago, Chindie said:

What is it about the X-Men series that you don't like particularly?

Everything basically. 

Crap story, crap acting, crap script, crap "jokes".

They're crap. Admittedly I probably haven't seen the best ones (if XMen 2 is the best then I'm not missing anything) as I gave up after the first 3.

Deadpool is easily the best one, mainly because it's nothing like the rest.

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Everything basically. 

Crap story, crap acting, crap script, crap "jokes".

They're crap. Admittedly I probably haven't seen the best ones (if XMen 2 is the best then I'm not missing anything) as I gave up after the first 3.

Deadpool is easily the best one, mainly because it's nothing like the rest.

It's usually a toss up between 2 and DOFP as the best. 3 is poor I'll agree there.

I think I'd disagree on all on those points (though I can't recall any of the jokes) so they're probably just not for you.

Deadpool is a weird off shoot, it's relationship to the other movies is fun but slim.

2 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

X-Men is easily the best of the comic book genre series  ...

Jennifer Lawrence sorta naked and Famke Janssen who just has that look of pure filth about her ... no other series can even come close  , even Thor have chopped Natalie Portman out of their films and lost huge brownie points with me

If i wanted to see Jennifer Lawrence naked I would just look at the fappening pictures! 

• Like 1

I'd like to criticise the new Ghostbusters movie but i'd probably be called sexist and misogynistic 

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â