The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

I watched the illusionist last night. Animation film which I watched purely as a random watch.

Did not read up on it first or anything (sometimes this is a fun thing to do).

Hard to explain but French magician from Paris moves to London and then to Edinburgh to do little magic shows. He does one show on an island in the West of Scotland where the story really starts.

The weird bit is that hardly anyone speaks throughout the film. (Maybe 6 or 7 words) butr the animation is quality, there is a bit where Edinburgh spins...real nice.

When it finished I thought a 6 out of 10 but having thought about it on the way to work I upped this mark on IMDB to 7.

The reason is that it's deep, it passes you by while watching but it's multi level and very similar to Toy Story 3.

Anyone else seen it ? Am I way off on this ?

So, today I saw "The Goonies" and I can see why some love it because they saw it when they were kids. I know I would've if had watched it then. Can't understand why I never saw it. Still, I went into my "kid mode" and liked it. Easy to watch. :thumb:

For some light hearted entertainment I would recommend going to see "Paul". Watched it on Friday night in Newport and was pleasantly surprised.

I agree. not as bad as many have made out, its not on SOTD or HF level for them, but its a good laugh.

So, today I saw "The Goonies" and I can see why some love it because they saw it when they were kids. I know I would've if had watched it then. Can't understand why I never saw it. Still, I went into my "kid mode" and liked it. Easy to watch. :thumb:

The Goonies has taken on a whole new lease of life for me since I realised Mikey is Samwise Gamgee (and Sloth is played by Iain Dowie).

Additionally, saw True Grit last night. Another masterclass from the Cohen brothers :thumb:

The Goonies has taken on a whole new lease of life for me since I realised Mikey is Samwise Gamgee (and Sloth is played by Iain Dowie).

Additionally, saw True Grit last night. Another masterclass from the Cohen brothers :thumb:

Ben and Tamir? ;)

I agree on True Grit, thought the lass in it deserved the Oscar for Best Actress in fairness, she was superb.

Seen Paul twice now and loved it more the second time, I'm not a sci-fi alien geek so it wasn't because of any references, but I thought it was just a good fun movie with enjoyable characters, occasionally threatened to stray into going OTT ever so slightly but always reigned it in in time.

I'm developing an aversion to Seth Rogen. It's not fully developed yet, but I feel that if I watch any more of his movies it will. So for his sake I'll avoid him.

I watched Harry Brown the other night. Good film. It has Michael Caine. It has gutterscum hoodies getting their comeuppance and it portrays the police as the incompetent, useless and out of touch pr*cks that they are. So what's not to like exactly?

I'm developing an aversion to Seth Rogen. It's not fully developed yet, but I feel that if I watch any more of his movies it will. So for his sake I'll avoid him.

I'm slightly heading in this direction too. Observe and Report was terrible and Funny People was very average.

I watched Harry Brown the other night. Good film. It has Michael Caine. It has gutterscum hoodies getting their comeuppance and it portrays the police as the incompetent, useless and out of touch pr*cks that they are. So what's not to like exactly?

Apart from Caine I thought it was average stuff to be honest Bri. Also found it came across as 'Daily Mail - The Movie' with how the youth were portrayed.

Scene with Sean Harris was the highlight of the movie for me, but he's always a decent nutter.

Apart from Caine I thought it was average stuff to be honest Bri. Also found it came across as 'Daily Mail - The Movie' with how the youth were portrayed.

Scene with Sean Harris was the highlight of the movie for me, but he's always a decent nutter.

From a critical POV I agree it'll hardly set the awards ceremonies alight. But it was a decent 90 mins entertainment and while the youth were portrayed badly, it was only that element of society it was dealing with; and they do exist. Twas a hoot :)

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â