The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

I didn't enjoy 'The Babadook' but plenty did. 'It Follows' has charm and style but I found it more comedic than anything. I'm not sure how to classify 'Under the Skin' but I found it more unsettling than most films and it is one of the best movies of recent years. 'Berberian Sound Studio' is also unsettling and similarly weird. 'The House of the Devil' (a little older ;) ) is very old fashioned and solid. I also have a fondness for 'The Woman in Black' because of the old fashioned style, but it isn't terribly scary.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Bunnski said:

'Cabin in the woods' was another decent horror film imo, worth checking out.

Very good film. I wouldn't say it was that scary though. It's more of a tribute to horror films in a way.

Definitely worth a watch though.

4 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Right guys and gals,  probably directed at Designer as he is a fountain of all film knowledge however,  feel free to chip in if you have ideas. 

Generally,  I don't watch horror films at all,  however I want to start giving some a go. 

So what are the best horror films made over the past 3 or 4 years?  Preferably without subtitles.  Thanks :D

Such a shame about subtitles and age limit as The Devils Backbone & The Orphanage were the first two I'd recommend followed by Rec., The Changeling & Session 9.

As for English speaking and recent I'd go Taking of Deborah Logan, Borderlands, We Are Still Here, The Afflicted (good rather than scary), The Conjuring, The Innkeepers & The Descent (recent-ish).

Edited by Ingram85

4 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Right guys and gals,  probably directed at Designer as he is a fountain of all film knowledge however,  feel free to chip in if you have ideas. 

Generally,  I don't watch horror films at all,  however I want to start giving some a go. 

So what are the best horror films made over the past 3 or 4 years?  Preferably without subtitles.  Thanks :D

What kind do you want to watch?  Jump out of your skin type horror?  Atmospheric?  Psychological? Physical/gore? Satanic/religious? Found footage? 'Based on a true story' ?  It's a complex subject :)

I'd say as a solid starter I'd go for Paranormal Activity (the first one) and see what you think of it.

Obviously stuff like The Exorcist, Omen & The Shining are a must-watch too.  And if you can get your paws on it, Cannibal Holocaust is ... 'interesting'.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PieFacE said:

For such a vast and interesting genre, you really are limiting yourself quite a bit there mate.

I could send you a list of some recommendations if you like, but I pretty much guarantee there would be subtitles and films older than 3-4 years involved :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Why limit yourself so much?

But within those unreasonable confines, and disregarding anything already mentioned I'm going for Megan is Missing (deeply, deeply disturbing - proceed with caution) and V/H/S 2 (a horror anthology which contains one short inpatricular that is pretty glorious). I didn't think Unfriended was too dreadful, either.

• Like 1

Another recommendation I'd make.  I found 'The Grudge' to be a good unnerving modern horror.  No doubt in large part due to the fact that the same director was in charge for both it and its Japanese original - 'Ju On'.

3 hours ago, BOF said:

What kind do you want to watch?  Jump out of your skin type horror?  Atmospheric?  Psychological? Physical/gore? Satanic/religious? Found footage? 'Based on a true story' ?  It's a complex subject :)

I'd say as a solid starter I'd go for Paranormal Activity (the first one) and see what you think of it.

Obviously stuff like The Exorcist, Omen & The Shining are a must-watch too.  And if you can get your paws on it, Cannibal Holocaust is ... 'interesting'.

I'll go for any of the type of things you've listed provided they are good!

Cool I shall check out Paranormal Activity, though I am aware they have made about 28 of those films, is the first one the best one? 

2 hours ago, Designer1 said:

For such a vast and interesting genre, you really are limiting yourself quite a bit there mate.

I could send you a list of some recommendations if you like, but I pretty much guarantee there would be subtitles and films older than 3-4 years involved :)

Yeah please send all recommendations! I guess the only reason I said 3-4 years old is because I have seen films such as the exorcist, and because it's kinda old and the production value isn't as high I didn't really find them all that scary, was more comical. So maybe 3-4 years is a bit too recent,  anything after the 80's will work!! 

2 hours ago, hogso said:

Why limit yourself so much?

But within those unreasonable confines, and disregarding anything already mentioned I'm going for Megan is Missing (deeply, deeply disturbing - proceed with caution) and V/H/S 2 (a horror anthology which contains one short inpatricular that is pretty glorious). I didn't think Unfriended was too dreadful, either.

Sweet I shall check out those! Thank you very much! 

1 minute ago, PieFacE said:

Cool I shall check out Paranormal Activity, though I am aware they have made about 28 of those films, is the first one the best one? 

As the original, it is the freshest.  It worked so well that they said "Oh, let's milk that format".  I actually enjoyed all of them, but yeah go with the first one and then if you like it watch the rest.

4 minutes ago, BOF said:

As the original, it is the freshest.  It worked so well that they said "Oh, let's milk that format".  I actually enjoyed all of them, but yeah go with the first one and then if you like it watch the rest.

BOF - I am disappoint. Awful films. Awful franchise. quiet quiet quiet quiet quiet quiet quiet quiet quiet BANG!!!!! cinema at its finest. Not scary because of what happens but simply because of the noise. Jump scares are easy. 

The Exorcist, The Shining and the original Omen are all great. Let the Right One In is also excellent. 

My favourite horror/chiller is The Orphanage - apologies it also has subtitles but worth checking out for sure.

On to other movies, watched two very different but equally decent films this weekend

http://images.redbox.com/Images/EPC/Kiosk/8328.jpg

Wild Tales - 6 short stories about human behaviour (especially anger and retribution). My favourites being the Wedding story and the Private Car Parking story but all very funny, shocking in places and entertaining.

http://www.finalreel.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Danny-Collins-Poster.jpg

Danny Collins - yes it's schmaltzy and mawkish in places but Pacino is excellent without over-hamming it. Some great co-acting too by Annette Bening!

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â