The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

The Electric in Brum is showing Ji-woon Kim's "I saw the devil" in May. I liked Old Boy a lot, is this worth a watch?

He did Bittersweet Life and Tale of Two Sisters which were both excellent, so I would say you should be pretty safe. Looking to see that one myself.

The missus went to Black Swan. Didn't like. Though much like the lads who went waterboarding in Guantanamo Bay for their holidays, I don't think she knew what she was getting herself in for :)
Same here. I haven't seen it yet, but the missus went, and I'd told her about the rave reviews on here. Thought it would be up her street - she likes chillers, magical realism, ballet... but she said she just wanted to laugh in the "scary" bits. Didn't hate it by any means, but she thought it had been overhyped, and was only a 6/10 at best.

We also watched Shutter Island this week and were a little underwhelmed. I guessed the "twist", but really thought there should have been a Kafkaesque "double twist" right at the end (i.e. suggesting a doubt that maybe it WAS a conspiracy after all). Didn't happen. I thought it looked pretty good and "noirish", but tried too hard to get a Hitchcock feel it couldn't live up to. I love Scorsese, but this wasn't one of his best. Another 6/10 I think.

We also watched Shutter Island this week and were a little underwhelmed. I guessed the "twist", but really thought there should have been a Kafkaesque "double twist" right at the end (i.e. suggesting a doubt that maybe it WAS a conspiracy after all). Didn't happen. I thought it looked pretty good and "noirish", but tried too hard to get a Hitchcock feel it couldn't live up to. I love Scorsese, but this wasn't one of his best. Another 6/10 I think.

You've summed it up pretty well there. I went to the cinema when it first came out really hoping for something special. Whilst I did think it was a good film, I just thought it was missing something. It may well have been due to the attempt to go for a Hitchcockian feel, as you mentioned. Agreed on the fact that it was certainly not one of Scorsese's best films as well.

A Streetcar Named Desire 8/10

Very good film, about a girl with obvious psychological issues who is continually provoked by her brother in law which makes things worse. The role of Blanche seemed pretty overacted for me, it was put across that she wasn't well but she was far too eccentric. Marlon Brando on the other hand was brilliant, one of the best performances I've ever seen, he dominated the screen and made his character a little more believable. At times you wanted to feel sorry for him despite him pretty much being a bully.

The Pianist 10/10

About a Polish pianist Wladyslaw Szpilman who is doing everything he can to survive during WW2. Absolutely loved this, such a powerful and engrossing film. There are so many unforgettable moments and they are done with such brutality. The Jewish people really had no-where to escape and Wladyslaw was extremely lucky to survive, although it goes to show it doesn't always happen by turning action hero likes in most war movies. A real must see.

Agree on the Pianist. It's excellent.

Saw True Grit on Thursday. Excellent in parts but was missing something that would put it in the truly great bracket (although I can't put my finger on what that was)

Although my mate thought it was abasolutely fantastic so maybe I just missed it!

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â