The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Not "cool" but I watched 'The Incredible Hulk' last night which I thought was a decent yarn, nothing spectacular but I watched it in blu ray and it definitely made the difference for me! The visuals and the audio were great, dialogue a little low in places but great fun in that format

I watched kpax the night before I got the ps3 and that film was ok too.

I would agree with ye Conor.

Plenty of film buffs I'm mates with say its good but nothing special. I did love True Grit though. That was a surprise in all honesty, I thought the Coens might have ruined it but they did a good job.

Just been reminded of a brilliant film i saw not long ago called punisher war zone, i think it comes out of the new marvel film studio that was setup to remake their comics properly. So over the top its great.

Roger Ebert says "it is one of the best-made bad movies I've seen"

One of my highlights is when he literally blows up a rasta free runner in mid air with an rpg

Yeah I felt a bit surprised when both my mates (seperatly) said it was just alright, I was thinking because we love discussing film as well as watching it I'd be in a big discussion about the film and explaining why I didn't think it was that good. Nope just not all that great and proof that hype can further damage a movie by elevating expectations.

Paul is ok, not a patch on Shaun or Fuzz; needs a script doctor but an ok way to spend a few hours nothing more and when yo have a trailer for Big Mommas House 3 before, then you realise it aint all bad.

Went to see Paul last night and I think Jez has it pretty much spot on.

The over reliance on the use of swearing for comedic effect really started to grate after a while, and it was a little bit too sickly sweet in parts. I did enjoy the obvious Spielberg overtones though, and the opening sequence was very well done. I'd give it around the 6.5/10 mark.

Yeah I felt a bit surprised when both my mates (seperatly) said it was just alright, I was thinking because we love discussing film as well as watching it I'd be in a big discussion about the film and explaining why I didn't think it was that good. Nope just not all that great and proof that hype can further damage a movie by elevating expectations.

Some people appreciated the film for what it was. From your posts so far all I can seem to see is little stabs at people that actually liked it. It seems that you are suggesting that people who like Black Swan have little clue on films.

I have no need to prove how much I love films to anyone. I love films and I liked Black Swan. You may have friends that didn't rate it, yet I have friends that do like it. Many of those are in the film industry and are lovers of films as well (along with myself). The opinions did seem mixed though. Some liked it and some didn't, but that's the joy of film.

If you don't like it there really is no need to belittle those that did, by suggesting that they know little about film.

If you are such a self-confessed film buff then surely you would know not to go into a film expecting anything from hype. You go in with an open mind and prepare for the experience.

Sorry if you think I'm having a go here, yet it just seems that you are looking down on people that liked Black Swan and suggesting that they have less film knowledge than you. I think you will find that this isn't always the case...

Black Swan is superb, a fantastic piece of work from a very talented director. Not everyone will see it that way of course, but isn't that what makes the medium of film so fascinating? To lump people into groups because they don't agree with your own opinion on a movie is bordering on elitist stupidity.

Some people appreciated the film for what it was. From your posts so far all I can seem to see is little stabs at people that actually liked it. It seems that you are suggesting that people who like Black Swan have little clue on films.

U

I have no need to prove how much I love films to anyone. I love films and I liked Black Swan. You may have friends that didn't rate it, yet I have friends that do like it. Many of those are in the film industry and are lovers of films as well (along with myself). The opinions did seem mixed though. Some liked it and some didn't, but that's the joy of film.

If you don't like it there really is no need to belittle those that did, by suggesting that they know little about film.

If you are such a self-confessed film buff then surely you would know not to go into a film expecting anything from hype. You go in with an open mind and prepare for the experience.

Sorry if you think I'm having a go here, yet it just seems that you are looking down on people that liked Black Swan and suggesting that they have less film knowledge than you. I think you will find that this isn't always the case...

I think you're completely misunderstanding me here. It is a fine movie and many people and film buffs alike will enjoy it. I'd never argue that it's a bad movie or anything. It just wasn't for me.

What I was taking about non film buff people was meant that they rarely see movies like this and so their opinions on the movie and it's level of darkness etc are very different to mine. I had formed an incorrect expectation of the movie which was very different to what the movie actually was.

Then the word of mouth made people go see it and many of these people would feign to like it to avoid an argument from someone telling them they didn't get it etc.. Since I don't worry that I'm honest about my opinions.

Basically I'm talking about the girls in work who would never in a million sundays have see a movie like this before.

It's not a bad movie just in my opinion an average one, that was further damaged by hype elevating my expectations and forming a very different expectation on the level of darkness.

The missus went to Black Swan. Didn't like. Though much like the lads who went waterboarding in Guantanamo Bay for their holidays, I don't think she knew what she was getting herself in for :)

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â