The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Loved Nightcrawler. Gyllenhaal is underrated, he's fantastic in that film.

Interesting you say that. I haven't taken to him yet and as a result I find him to be slightly overrated because people go mad for him.

Loved Nightcrawler. Gyllenhaal is underrated, he's fantastic in that film.

Interesting you say that. I haven't taken to him yet and as a result I find him to be slightly overrated because people go mad for him.

Do they? Most of the people I seem to end up talking to (because you know, I always go around discussing Jake Gyllenhaal) think he's crap.

I think he's shown in more than a couple of films that he's really a very talented actor. I think he's great in Donnie Darko, Nightcrawler, Prisoners, Zodiac, Brokeback Mountain, I even enjoyed his performance in Source Code which I think is an underrated film.

Edited by Ginko

I've only ever seen four films, ET, American Pie, Scarface and Rocky and I only watched Rocky for the first time today, two hours and it turns out it's all about love what a crock. This is why I don't watch films, he didn't even win the fight absolutely devastated for him, his missus is a bit rope too

I've only ever seen four films, ET, American Pie, Scarface and Rocky and I only watched Rocky for the first time today, two hours and it turns out it's all about love what a crock. This is why I don't watch films, he didn't even win the fight absolutely devastated for him, his missus is a bit rope too

I do wonder how we're friends sometimes :mrgreen:

I do wonder how we're friends sometimes :mrgreen:
Haha, it's an attention span thing man (films, not our friendship)
  • Like 1

Contrary to you fine people I thought Nightcrawler was thuddingly obvious and smugly moralising. Network it ain't.

In an era of Citizenfour this level of engagement with truth, the news, journalism it isn't really cutting it.

Have you met MakeMineVanilla yet?

I think you'd get on.

In fact, you should have your own thread.

:o

Seriously?

• Like 1

Michael Owen said last year he'd only ever watched 8 films, so this is doubly impressive.

Out of interest, if you're round a mate's or with your family and someone fancies watching some film, do you just excuse yourself?

Just watched Ant Man - I trust Chindie to give the fuller review here, but I enjoyed it. I had no clue what to expect, though I've always found Paul Rudd enjoyable enough in his dry humour roles beforehand so was hoping it was good. 

I think the fact a key battle scene between two protagonists takes place on a child's toy - with funny comic touches is sufficient proof it is not not aspiring to the darker end of the comic film spectrum, more part guardians / lego in it's tone - and it succeeds because of it. However, I think some of the exposition of the po-faced serious "science" must have required some effort from Michael Douglas and co to keep a straight face. Obviously it's no more eccentric than radioactive spiders etc, but the training up of Ant Man... it's a self aware film that has a lot of fun, and plays fairly heavily on the humour.  I think it is unsure how much it aspires to be a more serious drama-marvel action film ala Winter Solider versus a more light hearted film, and the tone isn't always consistent but it is pretty consistently entertaining. Corey Stoll plays a fairly stereotyped sort of villain, that has no real depth at all but he remains watchable nonetheless. It also features more Marvel cameos and no doubt will feature more in the inevitable sequel, but I won't complain with an Ant Man 2. 

7/10

Edited by Rodders

FFS Spoilers mate

• Like 2

FFS Spoilers mate

Yeah shit sorry I can only possibly ruin three other films though on the plus side, American Pie he **** the ginger one, ET he goes home and Scarface he goes bat shit crazy.

****spoilers above please don't read if you haven't seen the films mentioned above****

What we do in the shadows was brilliant fun!

Essentially, a documentary film crew following the lives of house-sharing vampires in wellington, nz.

Very kooky, tongue in cheek and highly amusing.

Love the hell out of that - it's so well written and as a horror fan I loved the brilliantly geeky nods to the genre.

• Like 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InF16sp7J0M

Never been a big fan of live action adaptations of manga/anime, but this actually looks pretty sweet.

Still doubt it'll be better than the anime though.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â