The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

That's Psylocke, in a look surprisingly close to the comics.

She's supposed to be British but I'll bet that they drop that.

I didn't mean in that pic, was just linking the films.

I don't really know a lot about x men but I remember the cartoon when she wore a yellow coat and seem that online today of the character.

Tbf the look of psylocke and jubilee from what I've seen looks spot on, not sure how that translates to film though because they've been trying so hard to move away from the traditional outfits

The last men film was probably in the top 3 comic book films IMO really good film, not got high hopes for this one though, strange how they managed to make a film about time travel somehow decent but this one seem a bit daft

Apocalypse from Xmen Apocalypse revealed.

1343387555922787469.jpg

giphy.gif

Never much liked that character, but that's a really, really bad looking take on him.

Since when was jubilee oriental as well?

My, that purple Quality Streets advert has a surprisingly big budget.  I mean, obviously not that big, but sizeable.

I often wonder if we travelled back in time ten years and said this kind of thing was going to dominate the film industry imminently people might just roll up to Robert Downey Jr's house with some really tasty drugs and a video camera.  I also fear for the people of ten years hence.  So, there was a global recession, the brutality of ISIS and Boko Haram, a massive existential threat to the European project, and global **** warming and you guys were watching dress-up punch and kick cartoons?

But yeah, I'll probably watch it.

• Like 2

Anyone see Dear White People?

Sort of a preppy campus Do The Right Thing.  It is a little self-satisfied and bamboozled by its own verbosity and cleverness early on but it crescendos beautifully and the final moment is perfect.  It's that rare modern movie that looks at an obvious 'issue' and refuses to give easy answers.  And the more it complicates things the bolder and better it gets.  It also beams with a youthful confidence, which is pleasing in an era when too many films choose an arbitrary moodiness, predictability or phony solemnity.  It's a ball.

I saw Minions in the week.

Not my choice, but it was good fun I suppose.

But cemented the fact that Dreamworks (and other animations companies) have absolutely nothing on Disney/Pixar.

Edited by Stevo985

Sort of a preppy campus Do The Right Thing. It is a little self-satisfied and bamboozled by its own verbosity and cleverness early on but it crescendos beautifully and the final moment is perfect. It's that rare modern movie that looks at an obvious 'issue' and refuses to give easy answers. And the more it complicates things the bolder and better it gets. It also beams with a youthful confidence, which is pleasing in an era when too many films choose an arbitrary moodiness, predictability or phony solemnity. It's a ball.

Not seen it, but have you watched Uncle Buck?

Really good.

Edited by lapal_fan

Sort of a preppy campus Do The Right Thing. It is a little self-satisfied and bamboozled by its own verbosity and cleverness early on but it crescendos beautifully and the final moment is perfect. It's that rare modern movie that looks at an obvious 'issue' and refuses to give easy answers. And the more it complicates things the bolder and better it gets. It also beams with a youthful confidence, which is pleasing in an era when too many films choose an arbitrary moodiness, predictability or phony solemnity. It's a ball.

Not seen it, but have you watched Uncle Buck?

Really good.

Uncle Buck?  That searing essay on class division and Reaganite reaffirmation of the nuclear American family?

I have studied it thusly. ;)

More of a Curly Sue man myself.

• Like 3

Gonna give Nightcrawler a try tonight.  Mate of mine who I respect wrt movies/TV says it's his favourite film of last year.

• Like 3

Gonna give Nightcrawler a try tonight.  Mate of mine who I respect wrt movies/TV says it's his favourite film of last year.

Outstanding film. Gyllenhaal gives the creepiest performance since De Niro's Rupert Pupkin.

• Like 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRfj1VCg16Y

Alejandro González Iñárritu + Tom Hardy + Leonardo DiCaprio =  :thumb:  :cheers:

Looks impressive on first showing, and the river shots reminded me of Aguirre, the Wrath of God which is never a bad thing.

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 2

Very good film but best film of last year was The Double for me.

Grand Budapest Hotel!

• Like 4

Nightcrawler is a cracking movie.

Antman for me tomorrow at the IMAX. Wasn't that confident in it but the good word of mouth hand me excited for something a bit different for Marvel

• Like 1

Nightcrawler is a cracking movie.

Antman for me tomorrow at the IMAX. Wasn't that confident in it but the good word of mouth hand me excited for something a bit different for Marvel

I expect no less than a thorough full review from you young man  :thumb:  :)

(really looking forward to seeing it myself)

Contrary to you fine people I thought Nightcrawler was thuddingly obvious and smugly moralising.  Network it ain't.

In an era of Citizenfour this level of engagement with truth, the news, journalism it isn't really cutting it.

Edited by Shomin Geki

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â