The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Also worth checking out Shadow of the Vampire which is a great accompany piece. It's a sort of film within a film about the making of Nosferatu.

Willem Dafoe plays Max Schreck and the gist of the story is that he is in fact a real Vampire.

It's great fun :mrgreen:

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 2

Watching Snowpiercer as I type this. I've gone into the movie completely blind and I'm taking a stab in the dark here, but it's a graphic novel adaptation isn't it? It's ridiculous in a way that isn't very appealing to me. It seems whoever directed it is going out of their way to frame shots so they look like comic book panels, there is some misguided comic relief and a lot of the characters seem so be little more than one dimensional plot devices.

Watched coherence last night, a low budget film about dinner party guests being affected by a passing comet, which appears to unlock parallel universes.

Interesting concept and all done for 50k.

Is that on any streaming service such as Netflix? Edited by DK82

Watched coherence last night, a low budget film about dinner party guests being affected by a passing comet, which appears to unlock parallel universes.

Interesting concept and all done for 50k.

Is that on any streaming service such as Netflix?

I have no idea sorry - got it sent to me on DVD via Lovefilm.

The Prince - Jason Patric & Bruce Willis. 

Man rescues his abducted daughter, a plot that seems to have been done to death in recent years. Film was instantly forgettable 

I like Apoc Now a lot, but I prefer The Deer Hunter, which might just be MY favourite film of all time.

Another very long film, but yes one of the best  of all time. A  great cast. Walken was brilliant. The Russian Roulette scene will forever stay in my memory. Also John Cazale who was dying from cancer, when it was filmed. 

Died tragically young, but John Cazale is the ultimate answer to the question of naming an actor who had never been in a bad movie, right?  

Because of his illness he did have a short career on the big screen, only appearing in five movies but here they are:  The Godfather, The Conversation, The Godfather part II, Dog Day Afternoon & The Deer Hunter.   All five were nominated for best picture at The Oscars. Three won.  

quite true, he chose his films well. 

The Coppola Dracula is pretty good, too.

Stylish but **** me there's some rotten performances in it.
That's true. Although I do like Tom Waits as Renfield.
  • Like 1

Watched this tonight - utterly fantastic. One of the most perfectly framed films i've seen for a while and beautifully acted  :thumb:

Ida_Poster.jpg

Reviews and stuff...

From acclaimed director Pawel Pawlikowski (Last Resort, My Summer of Love) comes IDA, a moving and intimate drama about a young novitiate nun in 1960s Poland who, on the verge of taking her vows, discovers a dark family secret dating from the terrible years of the Nazi occupation. 

Watched Minions with the kids last night

Not as good as the Despicable Me films but hey it's Minions what isn't there to like

Ps

Stay right to the end to get a rendition of revolution in full Minion

Watched this tonight - utterly fantastic. One of the most perfectly framed films i've seen for a while and beautifully acted  :thumb:

Reviews and stuff...

From acclaimed director Pawel Pawlikowski (Last Resort, My Summer of Love) comes IDA, a moving and intimate drama about a young novitiate nun in 1960s Poland who, on the verge of taking her vows, discovers a dark family secret dating from the terrible years of the Nazi occupation.

I do love it when you recommend a film but my wallet hates you ;)

• Like 1

FFC's The Conversation (1974).

Hackman plays a surveillance expert, who thinks the evidence he has gathered will get the Cindy Williams (American Graffiti) character murdered.

A very intense performance by Hackman and FFC builds the paranoia and tension right up to the end, only lightened by some great jazz on the soundtrack.

A great comment on American anxieties which followed the Watergate scandal, when a paranoid President was revealed to be obsessed with bugging everyone, including himself.

Definitely one for the grown-ups.

Edit: Doh!

Edited by MakemineVanilla

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â