The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

They are both very fine films in my opinion.

As a huge 2000AD fan, I thought Dredd was finally the film that such a great character deserved (pity we'll probably never see a sequel) and The Raid had a beautiful balletic intensity that I found fascinating.

The Raid 2 is even better imo, and has been lauded by many (including myself) as one of the greatest action movies ever.

Dredd was written before The Raid iirc.

There's been much written about the similarities being coincidence over the years.

Yep. Dredd had started to be written as far back as 2006.

The Raid is what an 'action movie' should do. It shits all over Marvel films from a great height.

Shit. I agree with CED.

Stopped clock and all that ;)

On that note, the Marvel Cinematic Universe yesterday became the highest grossing movie franchise of all time. Winning.

tumblr_inline_mmbsfzkwsF1qz4rgp_zps339e0

Finally beat Police Academy eh?

• Like 1

Watched Dracula untold last night and it was much better than I anticipated. Then again, my expectations were very low!!

Yeah I pretty much felt the same way. I'll have to watch it again as I'm not sure if I only thought it wasn't bad because I expected it to be totally awful.

Anyone got any recommendation as to what to see at the cinema? Mad Max I'm going to see next weekend, but no idea what to watch before that.

• Like 1

RE. 'Maggie' - All in all it's good, definitely worth watching and it's only 90 mins so doesn't drag itself out.  Arnie doesn't have a great deal of dialogue which I think helps and whole movie has a Twilight moody feel to it.

The last few seconds are a complete anti-climax, don't understand why they finished it that way at all

Forgot to say in my Avengers review

Was it wrong that I got annoyed when they constantly referred to THAT phrase incorrectly

Peace FOR our time , I know it's Hollywood but get it right

yep, think I read Stellan Skarsgard who said he likes to make films like Thor to pay the bills so he can go make other smaller films that he likes to make. few other actors feel that way as well

I think Matthew McConoughey did the same thing, making awful Rom com's in the early 00s which allowed him to pick his roles later on, resulting in his Oscar winning role

Was it wrong that I got annoyed when they constantly referred to THAT phrase incorrectly

In America the phrase has become more well known in the (incorrect, as you you rightly say, of you want to recall Chamberlain) 'peace in our time' version due to it's incorrect usage by various public figures, notably a bunch of presidents.

I think that's what Whedon was chasing, the American pop-culture take, however wrong it is. He's not stupid so I think he'll know it's wrong but works for his purposes.

• Like 1

In America the phrase has become more well known in the (incorrect, as you you rightly say, of you want to recall Chamberlain) 'peace in our time' version due to it's incorrect usage by various public figures, notably a bunch of presidents.

I think that's what Whedon was chasing, the American pop-culture take, however wrong it is. He's not stupid so I think he'll know it's wrong but works for his purposes.

Common book of prayer pre-dates Chamberlain and contains the popular (of its time) phrase "Peace in our time". [\pedant]

Common book of prayer pre-dates Chamberlain and contains the popular (of its time) phrase "Peace in our time". [\pedant]
"Da pacem Domine!" predates the book of prayer with that origin ... But in the context of the film I think it's more likely they were using the Chamberlin variety ( who in turn was paraphrasing Disraeli )

Kennedy used Peace in our time in 63 and Obama in 2013 .. So maybe that is who Whedon is quoting ?

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â