The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

kermode is a professional film reviewer, sees about 14 films a week. it's an excellent podcast with him and simon mayo, though not always about the films. He was complimentary about Sherlock Holmes  by Guy Ritchie for the record, but generally not a fan no. 

Yeah I know he is a professional film reviewer, I meant about the number of films he sees in that to me he sometimes sounds like he's lost sense of what cinema is, which the majority of the time for I'd guess the majority of people is simply killing time, maybe it's the opposite, might be because he has to watch so many films that to me he always seems overly critical of films that I would simply regard as a 5-6 out of ten throw away film

depends on the definition of cinema there though, it's different for lot's of people in terms of what they expect from films. Almost certainly going to be less sympathetic to films which offer nothing new when you've seen and reviewed thousands in your career and if you're a keen film enthusiast eager to see fresh takes on old themes and stories ( there's a limited number of narrative arcs you can have ultimately ) then seeing the same old and worse repeatedly being made is going to be annoying,  but even then, if he it's a nuts and bolts action film with nothing particularly wrong with it ( in his view  he'll say so. He doesn't go properly mental on awful films that regularly, only the nadir of film tripe like Sex and the city, transformers etc. 

Although he does like Twilight.

Yeah I know he is a professional film reviewer, I meant about the number of films he sees in that to me he sometimes sounds like he's lost sense of what cinema is, which the majority of the time for I'd guess the majority of people is simply killing time, maybe it's the opposite, might be because he has to watch so many films that to me he always seems overly critical of films that I would simply regard as a 5-6 out of ten throw away film

Agreed. A lot of people are like that though, I've even seen in this thread people rate a film 5/6 and call it "shit". It's as if a movie is either labelled incredible or the worst thing ever, when in reality the majority of movies fall in the 4-7 range and they're poor/average/decent films, there really aren't many that are "incredible" or "shit". I see the same when judging footballers on here as well.

That's got to be one of the best trailers ever, it just looks insane, hopefully they can piece it all together and make it something decent rather than just murder after murder

Hardys got that, a film called child 44 next month which also looks good, a westerner with Leo di caprio towards the end of the year and the rays film at some point this year, and of course peaky blinders, could be a great year for him (again)

Watched a great (if bleak) Aussie flick Mystery Road last night (recorded it off BBC4 a few weeks back) and thought it was brilliant.

very briefly, a teenage Aboriginal girl is found murdered at the side of the highway and the murder is investigated by an Aboriginal Detective in a very white dominated backwater town.

Very quiet, very moody and quite perturbing in places. Certainly not one made by the Aussie tourist board!!!

(also really enjoyed The Rover with Guy Pearce - another moody Aussie flick!!!!)

• Like 1

I really dislike that dude. He cares way way too much about films. It's like he expects every film to be some beautiful masterpiece. Sounds like the kind of guy who loves the smell of his own farts...

The trouble is that most films are really over-hyped to the point where recommendations can't be taken as much of a guide.

Just like looking at on-line reviews at market-leading suppliers, the only way you can get a balanced view is to read the one and two star reviews.

The trouble is that people mistake a bad review for a denial of permission to like it themselves.

Dracula Untold.

started off and he was supposed to be Vlad The Impaler gone all nicey-nice and I thought WTF?

But it soon warmed up and turned out to be decent, lots of lovely violence, and you can't go wrong with a Charles Dance villain :)

if a type of movie keeps selling and people keep enjoying that type of movie, whats so wrong that a director keeps making them? Why does it make the third one worse than the first just because its a similar concept? I would agree if hes come out and said hes a great director at making all type of films...but didnt he just say he was trying different concepts?, and they failed, so he went back to what hes good at? nothing wrong with that and some reason kevmode thinks that makes the film worse...zzzz. To me that review was dreadful and just seemed more of a personal attack on ritchie than the film itself

Edited by gharperr

Watched a great (if bleak) Aussie flick Mystery Road last night (recorded it off BBC4 a few weeks back) and thought it was brilliant.

very briefly, a teenage Aboriginal girl is found murdered at the side of the highway and the murder is investigated by an Aboriginal Detective in a very white dominated backwater town.

Very quiet, very moody and quite perturbing in places. Certainly not one made by the Aussie tourist board!!!

(also really enjoyed The Rover with Guy Pearce - another moody Aussie flick!!!!)

Aye. I was mentioned in here a few weeks back. I caught it on iPlayer off the back of that recommendation and thought it was excellent. 

• Like 1

Dirty Harry  (1971)

Watched this last night for the first time in a while and really enjoyed it.I had forgotten just how good Clint Eastwood was in his prime.I cant recall a film i have watched with Eastwood in it, which was pants,A 8/10

I love this film, whenever one of my mates are round and we are bored and trying to think of a film to watch I always suggest this...they never wanna watch it though :-(

Dirty Harry (1971)

Watched this last night for the first time in a while and really enjoyed it.I had forgotten just how good Clint Eastwood was in his prime.I cant recall a film i have watched with Eastwood in it, which was pants,A 8/10

Paint Your Wagon.
  • Like 1

Dirty Harry (1971)

Paint Your Wagon.

Yes Paint your Wagon was a musical. Can't think of a rubbish film he's directed either, even going back to the 70s with the delightful Breezy. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â