The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

I'd rather watch a Michael Bay boxset than that 50 shades shite.

No self respecting bloke is surely going to watch that film, missus or no missus?

My wife wouldn't go anywhere near crap like that to be honest.

Is Michael Bay your absolute all-time film-related kryptonite? For me it's musicals. I don't enjoy Michael Bay but I get temporary aids when someone breaks into song in a film.

Ah now. What about Aladdin? Or The Wizard of Oz or that other one I had thought of but can't remember now. Oliver. Oom pah pah, oom pah pah, that's how it goes....

I love Pain and Gain.

There, I said it.

Apart from that and maybe Bad Boys 1, Michael bay is evil.

As for 50 Shades, I have no intention of ever watching that shite. Luckily the missus is seeing it with her mates.

Is Michael Bay your absolute all-time film-related kryptonite? For me it's musicals. I don't enjoy Michael Bay but I get temporary aids when someone breaks into song in a film.

That reminds me of a story my Nan told me about my Dad. She took him, along with his two sisters (my aunts) to watch South Pacific at the cinema, when he was a kid, under the pretence that it was a war film. The credits roll up, the first scene comes up on screen, and they start singing. He promptly get up, proclaims, “**** this” (I’m not sure those were his exact words), and takes himself home to sit on the step, before the rest of them got home two hours later.

Ah now. What about Aladdin? Or The Wizard of Oz or that other one I had thought of but can't remember now. Oliver. Oom pah pah, oom pah pah, that's how it goes....

I respect the Wizard of Oz's technical achievements as a movie given that it was probably 20 years ahead of its time, but I don't enjoy watching it. I've never seen Aladdin and I've no intention of doing so. You don't need to bang your head off a wall 20 times before you realise you don't like doing it. I've seen enough of them to know that I don't want to see any more of them.

I don't mind musical cartoons.

Disney films are enjoyable.

But when proper films are musicals, they become pretty shite. I can't think of one off the top of my head that I've ever really enjoyed.

But when proper films are musicals, they become pretty shite. I can't think of one off the top of my head that I've ever really enjoyed.

What about something like Once? Cracking film, but it would be nothing without the songs.

What about something like Once? Cracking film, but it would be nothing without the songs.

To be honest I can't think of that many musicals that I've seen.

Never heard of "Once"

That's not a musical in that they don't perform the dialogue of a scene in the form of song. He's a busker. The songs are mainly what he sings on the street in his role as a busker.

The Blues Brothers?

• Like 1

That's not a musical in that they don't perform the dialogue of a scene in the form of song. He's a busker. The songs are mainly what he sings on the street in his role as a busker.

That's not entirely true though, most of the songs and lyrics are tied into what is happening in the narrative.

It's very much a musical, unless a woman usually walks around at night in a street singing :)

It's very much a musical, unless a woman usually walks around at night in a street singing :)

OK well if you genuinely regard Once as a musical then you can limit my hate for what you know I regard as a musical. As in when a scene, for no normal cinematic reason, breaks into some choreographed explosion of naff. I get pins and needles in my face, I let out an involuntary scream, search frantically for the remote control and probably punch the nearest living thing to me.

Muppet's Christmas has to be the best musical a lot of people like LIttle Shop of Horrors and Scrooged as well.

The Muppets (2012) is pretty damn fine

Stardust (2007)

Enchanted (2007)

and Little Shop of Horrors*, Blues Brothers, Muppets Christmas

some good musicals out there

even Les Mis if you're that way inclined

* We had a guy in our office called Seymour and he was quite slow at everything, even walking. Suddenly Seymour became an office standard everyone knew.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â