The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Finally got round to watching Boyhood.

It's definitely very different in that there's no true plot, but I still thought it was very enjoyable. I really am a sucker for coming of age movies.

• Like 2

Got around to watching Beasts of the Southern Wild last night

[Pooligan]

I really liked this film. Beautifully shot and acted, and it really tugged at the heart strings. Had me gripped throughout. I would rate it a 9/10

/[pooligan]

Edited by Jon
  • Like 2

Sony allow Marvel to use Spider-Man. Unfortunately it's going to mean another reboot, in the plus side anything Marvel touches turns to gold so it's undoubtedly going to be amazing.

I'm more hesitant. I think had Marvel somehow got the rights back full stop, this could be fantastic.

As it is, they've got some creative input and can incorporate him into the MCU, but I can't help thinking that Sony will throw spanners in there somewhere, as they will want to control it too much and it'll end up sitting uncomfortably with the rest of what Marvel have made so far.

If nothing else though, if they can skip an origin story and shove him in Civil War in the vein of the comic, I'll be a bit more hopeful. You could instantly establish him without doing everything else and just get things going.

Superb film

Maybe I just didn't get it, my mate put it on at his place sometime last year, thought it was dreadful.

Sony allow Marvel to use Spider-Man. Unfortunately it's going to mean another reboot, in the plus side anything Marvel touches turns to gold so it's undoubtedly going to be amazing.

I'm more hesitant. I think had Marvel somehow got the rights back full stop, this could be fantastic.

As it is, they've got some creative input and can incorporate him into the MCU, but I can't help thinking that Sony will throw spanners in there somewhere, as they will want to control it too much and it'll end up sitting uncomfortably with the rest of what Marvel have made so far.

If nothing else though, if they can skip an origin story and shove him in Civil War in the vein of the comic, I'll be a bit more hopeful. You could instantly establish him without doing everything else and just get things going.

Yeah I'd rather they skip the origin story, it's overdone. It's not like people are going to be confused as to who he is without it.

Spider-Man will appear in a Marvel superhero movie for the first time after the Disney-owned studio signed a deal with rival Sony to integrate the comic book crime fighter into the same big screen universe as Iron Man, The Hulk, Thor and Captain America.

The landmark move, widely rumoured after Sony’s The Amazing Spider-Man 2 received only middling reviews and picked up a franchise-worst box office haul last year, also looks likely to mean the instalment of a new actor as the masked wall crawler. The Hollywood Reporter signals that Britain’s Andrew Garfield will be replaced as Spider-Man, while Marvel and Sony referenced a “new” iteration of the character.
“Under the deal, the new Spider-Man will first appear in a Marvel film from Marvel’s Cinematic Universe (MCU),” said the studios in a statement. “Sony Pictures will thereafter release the next instalment of its $4bn Spider-Man franchise, on July 28, 2017, in a film that will be co-produced by Kevin Feige and his expert team at Marvel and Amy Pascal, who oversaw the franchise launch for the studio 13 years ago. Together, they will collaborate on a new creative direction for the web slinger. Sony Pictures will continue to finance, distribute, own and have final creative control of the Spider-Man films.”

The statement continued: “Marvel and Sony Pictures are also exploring opportunities to integrate characters from the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) into future Spider-Man films. The new relationship follows a decade of speculation among fans about whether Spider-Man – who has always been an integral and important part of the larger Marvel Universe in the comic books – could become part of the Marvel Universe on the big screen. Spider-Man has more than 50 years of history in Marvel’s world, and with this deal, fans will be able to experience Spider-Man taking his rightful place among other Super Heroes in the MCU.”

Marvel has had spectacular success in recent years with its policy of integrating multiple superheroes into the same movie. The 2012 comic book ensemble The Avengers took more than $1.5bn around the world, the third-highest-grossing film of all time. Upcoming sequel The Avengers: Age of Ultron is being tipped to exceed even those gargantuan figures.

A first issue of The Amazing Spider-Man comic book, showing Spidey alongside fellow superheroes. Facebook Twitter Pinterest expand
A first issue of The Amazing Spider-Man comic book, showing Spidey alongside fellow superheroes. Photograph: Mario Tama/Getty Images
Meanwhile, Sony has seen Spider-Man’s box office slide from a peak of $890m for 2007’s Spider-Man 3 to The Amazing Spider-Man 2’s $708m last year.

The Hollywood Reporter suggests Spider-Man could now appear in the upcoming Captain America film Civil War, which is due in 2016. Peter Parker’s alter-ego plays a prominent part in the comic book story arc which inspired the movie.

“Marvel’s involvement will hopefully deliver the creative continuity and authenticity that fans demand from the MCU,” said Marvel supreme Kevin Feige. “I am equally excited for the opportunity to have Spider-Man appear in the MCU, something which both we at Marvel, and fans alike, have been looking forward to for years.”

Added Sony chairman and CEO Michael Lynton: “This is the right decision for the franchise, for our business, for Marvel, and for the fans.”

civil war and then a reboot, maybe miles morales but im not sure you can do that with the civil war film coming 1st, especially if they do spidermans role in CW

trying to see 50 shades with your partner?

Yeah, well trying not to, although of the various cinemas I've searched, all have 50 sheds on, and nothing but 50 sheds. For the entire day.

• Like 1

There's a Slug and Lettuce next to the cinema in Solihull.

I shall be looking up what time 50 Shades finishes and visiting said Slug and Lettuce at around the same time.

I've a mate who employs similar tactics. I think it worked a charm around the time of 'Magic Mike'.

I'd rather watch a Michael Bay boxset than that 50 shades shite.

Is Michael Bay your absolute all-time film-related kryptonite? For me it's musicals. I don't enjoy Michael Bay but I get temporary aids when someone breaks into song in a film.
  • Like 1

I'd rather watch a Michael Bay boxset than that 50 shades shite.

Is Michael Bay your absolute all-time film-related kryptonite? For me it's musicals. I don't enjoy Michael Bay but I get temporary aids when someone breaks into song in a film.

Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, YES!

You're allllllrighhtttttt with me, BOF..

• Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â