The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

I went to the cinema on my own for the first time last night.

I watched ex Machina which was really excellent, throughouly recommend if anyone gets the chance to see it in the last few days of its release.

As I was waiting for the film the ads came on and who should appear 10 foot tall but VT's very own Jenny Jones sliding about looking all exciting on an ad for the Nissan Juke which you can customise in different colours.

It can't be worse than the two existing films in the FF franchise.

Wondering how they're going to play the Johnny Storm and Sue Storm are siblings when one is black and the other is white though, step siblings I guess? Adopted?

FF is a strange one up there with Spider-Man for me, I'll watch them but I'm not fussed by them in the slightest, the half cast white bearded bloke is dr storm their dad but I don't see the point in that at all, make them both black or make them both white, it's something they either won't explain or explain badly or have to waste time explaining, read that "doom" is his online name and he's a hacker... And that they don't go it to space they go to an alternative reality, they are all young too

I don't read the comic so I'm not offended by any of that or any daft but it just makes it all seem like unnecessary hard work and you can bet your life on it not being written well enough to pull it off

Biggest shame of it all is I think mr fantastic / sue is maybe the best part of civil war, also read that they plan on putting black panther in the Spider-Man role which might work but they have nothing to replace that great story arc

The Fantastic Four are more interesting in the associated characters and events than the main characters themselves. Reed Richards is forever a supporting character in bigger story arcs, and the rest are essentially superfluous when viewed alongside their Marvel stablemates.

But they have one of Marvels best villains, Dr Doom, who is as much an Avengers villain really, and Galactus too. The movie rights also threw in the Skrulls, which feature in some of the most ambitious storylines they have... I couldn't care less about the Marvel Cinematic Universe not having the Fantastic Four, but missing out on Dr Doom done properly (because so far they've consistently **** up the character) is disappointing. And Fox will just keep remaking them as there's no way they want Marvel to get the property back.

Anywho... That trailer is shite. It may as well be from an Interstellar knock off for the look of everything. Against a backdrop of the leaked details (Doom being a hacker who uses the name as a pseudonym?!) this has the hallmarks of a mess.

but missing out on Dr Doom done properly (because so far they've consistently **** up the character) is disappointing

Toby Kebbell recently revealed what the new backstory is for Doctor Doom in the Fantastic Four reboot. And it's so bad, guys. It's really, really bad. Spoilers beyond this point.

Speaking with Collider, Kebbell revealed:

He's Victor Domashev, not Victor Von Doom in our story. And I'm sure I'll be sent to jail for telling you that. The Doom in ours—I'm a programmer. Very anti-social programmer. And on blogging sites I'm "Doom".

Ugh. So much ugh. One of the best things about Doctor Doom is that he's literally Victor von Doom. It's fictional nominative determinism at its absolute best.

But it's not good enough for the new, gritty and realistic reboot:

Yeah, it was cool man. Josh [Trank], the whole deal, the lo-fi way he did it, the ultra-real. It was just nice to do that. It was nice to be feeling like we had to come to terms with what was given by this incident.

"The whole deal" is that we have an evil programmer — no bets that he's a hacker, I think it's clear that's a given — who blogs? Or is a commenter on blogs? And has chosen Doom as his Internet handle. And we're going to lose him as the ruler of Latveria, too, I'm guessing.

This is the worst.

yeah im not going to bet that this is the film that nails dr doom...

Aye, it'll be awful.

How anyone reads that and goes 'Great idea' I've no idea. You get to a point that you're so far removed from the source that you're basically not adapting it anymore. Dr Doom being a hacker is about the epitome of that.

The blokes meant to be this supreme leader of an obscure country, half Iron Man half crazed sorcerer. He's almost an antihero at times.

And now we've got a hacker. I like Toby Kebbell but if he makes that work hes a miracle worker.

Outlaw  (2007)

Watched this a few nights back and it was ok.Was the sort of movie i have come to expect when i saw Sean Bean and Danny Dyer were in it..Not a classic but certainly worth watching 7/10 i would rate it 

Outlaw  (2007)

Watched this a few nights back and it was ok.Was the sort of movie i have come to expect when i saw Sean Bean and Danny Dyer were in it..Not a classic but certainly worth watching 7/10 i would rate it 

One of the worst films i've been unfortunate enough to sit through. Utterly awful, exploitative shite.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â