The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Castles In The Sky  (2014)

A enjoyable film set in England during wartime England.It is the story of the guy who invented Radar.Eddie Izzard who i must admit i had only ever thought of as a comedian was really good in his role as Robert Watson Watt. I rated it a 7/10

Blimey, first Alan Turing, now Watson-Watt. It's a WWII boffins fest.

Coming soon: Barnes Wallis and Gromit in The Curse of the V2 Bunnies.

Edited by mjmooney

Watched Big Fish on Film 4 last night. Had not see it in a while, and it struck me that it's pretty underated. Up there with Tim Burton's best work (although not quite Ed Wood level).

Edited by dAVe80
  • Like 2

Watched All is Lost this evening. Robert Redford is terrific. Could have ended either way, yet the ending was still so powerful. Excellent drama. Not one for those who love dialogue mind :)

Enjoyed it but wouldnt rush to watch again.

Into the woods was just crap, sorry.

Just finished watching Whiplash.

Absolutely superb stuff, top notch acting from Jk Simmons and Miles Teller and a really absorbing story.

Well recommended.

Interesting.

I saw the trailer for that at the cinema last week and thought it looked absolutely dreadful.

Absolutely superb stuff, top notch acting from Jk Simmons and Miles Teller and a really absorbing story.

Well recommended.

Interesting.

I saw the trailer for that at the cinema last week and thought it looked absolutely dreadful.

It's a really enjoyable movie. It's got a very tight narrative and the whole thing is basically built around an emotional sparring match between Simmons and Teller with some superb acting from both of them.

It was great seeing Simmons have a movie pretty much to himself as he's usually a supporting character, but if this is anything to go by his ability to carry a movie almost single handed can't be denied. He really is that good.

Also worth pointing out how well the movie is shot. The claustrophobic settings of the music rooms and the camera work on the drums (vital to the story) are excellent as is the directors eye for people and emotion.

All in all, a really good watch.

• Like 1

Well recommended.

Interesting.

It's a really enjoyable movie. It's got a very tight narrative and the whole thing is basically built around an emotional sparring match between Simmons and Teller with some superb acting from both of them.

It was great seeing Simmons have a movie pretty much to himself as he's usually a supporting character, but if this is anything to go by his ability to carry a movie almost single handed can't be denied. He really is that good.

Also worth pointing out how well the movie is shot. The claustrophobic settings of the music rooms and the camera work on the drums (vital to the story) are excellent as is the directors eye for people and emotion.

All in all, a really good watch.

In that case they should sack whoever made the trailer.

Started watching Captain Philips...hated it, shut it off after 25 minutes. Totally overrated. 

What did you hate about it?

Watched All is Lost this evening. Robert Redford is terrific. Could have ended either way, yet the ending was still so powerful. Excellent drama. Not one for those who love dialogue mind :)

Such a good movie that. I have it between that and Locke for my favourite of 2014. I must like the whole one man in (almost) isolation thing. I'm a sucker for stripped down, bare bones acting.

• Like 1

Wasn't massively taken with Locke. It was alright as a bit of an art house project but Hardy's accent was a bit dodgy and it doesn't quite have enough of anything to really grip you.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â