The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Heat is incredible.

For me, is only flaws are Michael Mann's tin ear which means all his films sound slightly off, and the length of it being a little over indulgent. If you're being particularly harsh Pacino's performance has to much of his post Scarface shoutiness, but that's very minor.

Otherwise, looks incredible, still, peak of Mann's 'two sides of the same coin' take on the crime genre, great set pieces, great plot... It's fantastic.

• Like 3

Watched a few yesterday. Transcendence never seemed to really get going, didn't really seem to have a solid story. The idea didn't particularly appeal to me, but I liked the cast, but was disappointed. Annabelle was really poor. Don't think it has a single scare moment and seemed to be over before it got started. Nonstop I'd seen before. Pretty generic Liam Neeson film, but enjoyable for what it was.

Annual Christmas viewing of Fanny and Alexander yesterday. For a change we watched the three hour cinema version instead of the five hour TV one. Still good, but loses too much in the edit.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier - as superhero movies go, I actually really enjoyed this one. Definitely the best Marvel movie I have seen so far and so much more better than the first Captain America movie.

just watched the second of the Hobbit movies

I presume it was made when 3D and computer game sales were the two big drivers of what it should look like?

What does that actually mean?

Now, I'm far from a fanboy of the Hobbit films, I think all in all the films have missed their mark and have been disappointing, especially when viewed alongside the Lord of the Rings films. I could point to flaw upon flaw in each, from difficulties with the adaptation, to pacing issues and so on. I don't believe they're bad films despite all this however.

But what does 'made when 3D and computer game sales were the two big drivers of what it should look like?' critique the film for?

It was shot in 3d, a lot of films are or are adapted to be shown in that format, and have shots that emphasise the artificial depth. That doesn't mean the film is flawed, however.

And about the only resemblance to a computer game is they both use computer graphics.

It just comes off as lazy cultural snobbery.

Edited by Chindie
  • Like 2

Just watched Ill Manors. Pretty decent actually. Much better than I was expecting. 

I'm currently living in Wanstead and do sometimes take the bus to Manor Park to get the overground to Liverpool St.  Manor Park is as bleak as it is pictured in that film.

Just watched Ill Manors. Pretty decent actually. Much better than I was expecting. 

I'm currently living in Wanstead and do sometimes take the bus to Manor Park to get the overground to Liverpool St.  Manor Park is as bleak as it is pictured in that film.

Yeah I imagine it's well grim. Makes Kingstanding look nice...

Er, sorry if I've upset you in some way Chindie?

It wasn't meant as a fully considered critique. It was more of a, well, a question really. I don't watch many films like that, it's not my thing. I usually stick to gritty cop car chase movies - French Connection is my fave.

The question was genuine. If I needed to expand on it, all well and good.

I went and watched The Hobbit in 3D yesterday.

Liked it (after I'd got used to some of the blurry stuff early on).

Not a brilliant film but a very decent cinema experience (i.e., definition: I want to go and enjoy what I watched and feel that I haven't been raped for the entry fee + drink).

I thought the 3D worked quite well on some of the panoramic stuff (save for those shots with vivid colours).

Edited by snowychap

tbf I understand the computer game bit with the 2nd film. It did just feel as one critic put it which I couldn't unsee after reading really, was that it felt like each scene was a different "level" in a platformer game and the visual style was just really really odd - higher frame rate or whatever that newfangled style was - it didn't work for me it created an unnecessary extra barrier to engaging with the film, although I did think the 2nd one was still much better than the first hobbit one. 

Edited by Rodders

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â