The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Guardians

Yeah it's very good.

Although saying that, I think it's the last half an hour that really makes it. There wasn't much before that that was really that great.

Don't think it measures up the Avengers, that's still out in front in comic book films imo.

Few things bugged me though. The humour. **** me it was awful. I assume that was to keep the 10 year old kids happy. Why do so many films in this genre do that? Especially the "jokes" around Batista and his lack of understanding sarcasm. Painfully unfunny.

The soundtrack. Don't get me wrong, the songs are great, I'm sure it's a great soundtrack to own. But it's completely out of place. So that didn't really work for me. You can't just stick a load of good songs onto a soundtrack. It still has to fit in with the film, imo. And they didn't. I found that really quite weird. Maybe there's some significance to it in the comics?

Other than that and a few overly cheesey lines of dialogue they were my only real criticisms.

So yeah, I enjoyed it for what it was, a popcorn action flick that you can remove your brain and watch. I won't be rushing to watch it again but it's certainly one of the better films in that genre. 7/10

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

Guardians

Yeah it's very good.

Although saying that, I think it's the last half an hour that really makes it. There wasn't much before that that was really that great.

Don't think it measures up the Avengers, that's still out in front in comic book films imo.

Few things bugged me though. The humour. **** me it was awful. I assume that was to keep the 10 year old kids happy. Why do so many films in this genre do that? Especially the "jokes" around Batista and his lack of understanding sarcasm. Painfully unfunny.

The soundtrack. Don't get me wrong, the songs are great, I'm sure it's a great soundtrack to own. But it's completely out of place. So that didn't really work for me. You can't just stick a load of good songs onto a soundtrack. It still has to fit in with the film, imo. And they didn't. I found that really quite weird. Maybe there's some significance to it in the comics?

Other than that and a few overly cheesey lines of dialogue they were my only real criticisms.

So yeah, I enjoyed it for what it was, a popcorn action flick that you can remove your brain and watch. I won't be rushing to watch it again but it's certainly one of the better films in that genre. 7/10

Weird. The stuff you didn't like were the things I thought made it such a brilliant film. The humour was fresh and genuinely funny. The purely literal understanding from Batista was brilliant.

And the soundtrack. Wow, the soundtrack. It shouldn't work, but because it gives the film a retro feel, it makes it much less cartoony. The long scale space ships drifting into view with heavy guitars just blew me away.

Out of interest, where did you watch it?

• Like 1

Guardians

Yeah it's very good.

Pretty much echoes my thoughts.
  • Like 1

Guardians

Yeah it's very good.

Weird. The stuff you didn't like were the things I thought made it such a brilliant film. The humour was fresh and genuinely funny. The purely literal understanding from Batista was brilliant.

And the soundtrack. Wow, the soundtrack. It shouldn't work, but because it gives the film a retro feel, it makes it much less cartoony. The long scale space ships drifting into view with heavy guitars just blew me away.

The humour was fresh?!?! That's bizarre. It was about as fresh as jokes about aeroplane food or the mother in law.

They'd have been much better off cutting out the attempts at humour all together.

Genuinely the only bit that made me smile was from the tree who had a 4 word vocabulary.

Like I said. The soundtrack IS brilliant, in terms of a dozen songs on a CD. I just didn't think it worked as background to a Sci Fi film. Spaceships taking off to the Jackson 5 didn't really do it for me. It's like having a heavy rock soundtrack for a disney film. They might all be great songs, but I'd prefer them to have some meaning to the film.

I watched it at home.

Edit: I feel like the posts have come across as generally negative. I hope not. I did enjoy it and my overwhelming reaction is positive. it's a very good film and I'd recommend it to someone looking for that kind of film.

Edited by Stevo985

Guardians

Yeah it's very good.

I thought the soundtrack was to do with the whole Walkman strand. I enjoyed the film and thought the script was great, very irreverent.

I may have already recommended this a few years ago earlier in the thread, but after a recent re-watch it's worth putting it in here again:

00544071-474173_500.jpg?k=06b90bc5&pid=3

Based on historical events and featuring incredible performances from Lindhardt and (as per usual) Mikkelsen.

One of the best war movies i've seen.

• Like 2

I thought the soundtrack was to do with the whole Walkman strand. I enjoyed the film and thought the script was great, very irreverent.

It is, you're right. The soundtrack -- aside from being a bit fresh and different to your usual sci-fi action movie -- was almost a character itself. It tethered the audience, and Star-Lord to Earth and reminded him of where he came from, his mother and his humanity and all that spiel. It was something familiar in a very unfamiliar setting.

I thought it was a great addition and served a much wider purpose than most soundtracks do in trying to fit with the genre of the film.

I loved the film, but I can concede there was a little too much silliness where the humour was concerned. A couple of jokes I was just like, eh, okay, should have quit while you were ahead. I can ignore that though, nothing is perfect.

Can't wait to get it on blu-ray in a couple of weeks :)

Edited by Ginko

This was what I thought would put you off it entirely. It's not totally the same as Tony Stark's humour, but close enough that I thought you'd hate the film because of it.

• Like 1

Guardians

Yeah it's very good.

The humour was fresh?!?! That's bizarre. It was about as fresh as jokes about aeroplane food or the mother in law.

They'd have been much better off cutting out the attempts at humour all together.

Genuinely the only bit that made me smile was from the tree who had a 4 word vocabulary.

Like I said. The soundtrack IS brilliant, in terms of a dozen songs on a CD. I just didn't think it worked as background to a Sci Fi film. Spaceships taking off to the Jackson 5 didn't really do it for me. It's like having a heavy rock soundtrack for a disney film. They might all be great songs, but I'd prefer them to have some meaning to the film.

I watched it at home.

Edit: I feel like the posts have come across as generally negative. I hope not. I did enjoy it and my overwhelming reaction is positive. it's a very good film and I'd recommend it to someone looking for that kind of film.

I wonder how much watching it at home dulled the feel of the soundtrack.

And come on, if you think the 'nothing goes over my head' bit wasn't hilarious you have no soul.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â