The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

so what if he is doing films that are 'out of the box' for his typical character, of course these jobs pay but you can't blame him for trying out different roles.

Thing is they aren't "out of the box" for him anymore, that is all that he does.

They aren't "different" roles anymore either, he pretty much plays the same character in each of the comedies he does

I can't believe people are slating De Niro. The guy is a legend, so what if he is doing films that are 'out of the box' for his typical character, of course these jobs pay but you can't blame him for trying out different roles. Fair enough it may not always come off but I thought he was great in Silver Linings Playbook, which wasn't too serious of a role.

For what it is worth I cannot wait for The Irishman, hopefully that will happen within the next few years, anything directed by Scorsese is going to be a great film but a trio of De Niro, Pacino and Pesci could see it become a classic. Anybody read I Heard You Paint Houses?

I think it's because it's De Niro, and because he's a legend that people are critical if he make less than stella role choices. We all know what he's capable of and I do tend to sigh a little when I read about another role in a non descript comedy. I for one would like to see him in a few more meaty roles before he retires. He's more than capable.

I mean let's face it, if it was Rob Schneider making yet another 'comedy' no-one would blink an eye.

Edited by Designer1

I really hope that The Irishman is the film that takes himself and Pacino out with a bang. I know it has been rumoured for a while but when De Niro was on the Graham Norton show last he said it is still going to happen. Fingers crossed.

i've got no problem with de niro doing those roles, like i said when i see him in a decent comedy im convinced he prefers it, he's also obviously as good as ever

but for whatever reason he picks some awful films, he also does a lot of films, looking at it he's doing about 5/6 films a year recently, whereas most actors of his age / talent seem to pick and choose roles a lot more carefully

you look at say freelancers, a $20m budget straight to DVD film starring 50 cent and forest whitaker, what is an actor like de niro doing anywhere near that?

Just watched Elysium, absolutely bonkers, crazy, rubbish sci fi garbage, full of plot holes 100% predictable trash....I actually really enjoyed it

If that film was made in the early 90's then geeks like me would love it, I think they set out to make it as cheesy as possible, the bad dude in it was awesome, he provides some glorious moments with his 80's esque one liners

i've got no problem with de niro doing those roles, like i said when i see him in a decent comedy im convinced he prefers it, he's also obviously as good as ever

but for whatever reason he picks some awful films, he also does a lot of films, looking at it he's doing about 5/6 films a year recently, whereas most actors of his age / talent seem to pick and choose roles a lot more carefully

you look at say freelancers, a $20m budget straight to DVD film starring 50 cent and forest whitaker, what is an actor like de niro doing anywhere near that?

Guess most actors have their golden period! One actor has remained really good into late age and has chosen good films is Michael Caine. From the early films of Zulu, Alfie, The Italian job and Get Carter to The Prestige and Harry Brown! 

Question to everyone.

What is the worst film you have seen?

At the cinema, SPiderman 3 without a doubt. Biggest pile of guff I've ever seen. And I went to see "8 legged freaks"

If you're including not just at the cinema then it opens up a whole new world of shitness.

I watched most of "The Room". Hilariously terrible

• Like 2

Worst film ever? The Godfather

I joke I joke, one that always sticks in my mind as being truly terrible was the day the earth stood still even though I know there are much worse films than that out there it's just the first one that often comes to mind

Anything to do with the number 8, I basically despise.

Benedict-Cumberbatch-Laugh.gif

Touche, Mr. 985

In all seriousness though I'm with you on Spiderman 3.

I saw that at the cinema too and it was horrendous experience (Just like reading one of my posts, I know, I know) but the one that takes the biscuit for me in the watching it in the cinema category was that Keith Lemon film.

I joke I joke, one that always sticks in my mind as being truly terrible was the day the earth stood still even though I know there are much worse films than that out there it's just the first one that often comes to mind

The original or the remake?  Because if you mean the original, I must fight you. boxing.gif

Worst film I've seen at the cinema was either Armageddon or Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen.  Outside of the cinema, Final Approach (early 90's flick).

Was that the second Transformers?

If so, that's on my list too. Absolutely awful film. Obviously didn't even bother with number 3.

Spiderman 3

8 Legged Freaks

Transformers 2

Goal 2

Fast and Furious 6

are ones that spring to mind.

Also, I saw Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalow at the cinema. That would probably take the prize, but it was the premier and I got to meet the actors and hang out with Jodie Marsh, as you do, so it gained some credit. 

It is shit though, don't get me wrong.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â