The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Hobbit rather good, although the Orc stuff still bothers. Legolas was a welcome addition (never thought I'd say that about Orlando Bloom) even if he and EVANGELINE LILY OMGOMG were essentially hack & slash merchants. Laketown looked great, easily the most interesting location in the series so far, as it had a more LOTR feel about it. All the set-pieces were exciting enough, which you would expect. I didn't really care for the Necromancer guff, but I guess it helps tie the trilogies together, and there wasn't much of it thankfully. Of course, it's Smaug we pays our monies for, and he was pretty bloody great. Dragons have been completely shit in films so far, apart from in Shrek, so I was a little apprehensive going into it, but I was very impressed.

Certainly worth a watch, even if it still doesn't come close (understandably) to the LOTR films. It is too CGI-reliant, IMO, and lacks that rustic charm of the LOTR - there isn't enough clinking when people run, for example. Little things like that made LOTR much more... believable.

Saw it in 3D, which was awful: it dulls everything and is annoying as hell.

I think LOTR's effects were far less CGI-y and more make-up-y which made the orcs etc fantastic. And obviously it broke ground with the effects. Was impressed with how well Smaug was done, he's a fantastic antagonist

Done the L.O.T.R marathon this weekend ....imagine if Stuart Townsend didn't get the boot how awful he would have been .....anyway what amazing films hard to believe it started in 2001

Anyway its a must for anyone who hasn't seen it  8.5/10

• Like 2

Finally saw the third part of the tricolor trilogy - Red - this weekend. Excellent film, really is such a good trilogy of films - one of the best I can think of - though I recently saw Before Sunset and loved it so once I've seen the other two that could be a close call. Think Red might be favourite, just edging Blue. 

Also watched Annie Hall - I've not seen many Woody Allen films before only one I can recall is Blue Jasmine which I liked and I stopped watching Matchpoint half way through. Quite enjoyed this, though Allen does run a thin line with his neuroticism getting on my nerves

Done the L.O.T.R marathon this weekend ....imagine if Stuart Townsend didn't get the boot how awful he would have been .....anyway what amazing films hard to believe it started in 2001

Working on getting the gf to do this with me between christmas and new year,

• Like 1

Also watched Annie Hall - I've not seen many Woody Allen films before only one I can recall is Blue Jasmine which I liked and I stopped watching Matchpoint half way through. Quite enjoyed this, though Allen does run a thin line with his neuroticism getting on my nerves

I've been on a bit of a Woody Allen spree the last few weeks. Watching (and re-watching) some of his classics.

Manhattan, Manhattan Murder Mystery, Mighty Aphrodite, Annie Hall, Purple Rose of Cairo and last night I watched Crimes and Misdemeanors for the first time. Absolutely brilliant, Martin Landau is so bloody good in it.

• Like 1

I also really liked Midnight in Paris. It's a bit lightweight compared to those mentioned, but I too have a hard-on for Paris in the 20s, so it was just right for me.

Yep, I really enjoyed Midnight in Paris. It seems Allen is the only director (other than Wes Anderson) able to wring a good performance out of Owen Wilson.

Bernie starring Jack Black was a big disappointment

I caught it on a whim and not really knowing what I was getting in to, thought it was great. I'm still not quite sure how to sell it to anyone else except to say the time flies by and despite it's subject matter it doesn't leave you bloated in any way. It's a solid 7/10.

• Like 2

I've been on a bit of a Woody Allen spree the last few weeks. Watching (and re-watching) some of his classics.

Manhattan, Manhattan Murder Mystery, Mighty Aphrodite, Annie Hall, Purple Rose of Cairo and last night I watched Crimes and Misdemeanors for the first time. Absolutely brilliant, Martin Landau is so bloody good in it.

There were three 2006/2008 i quite liked Cassandra's Dream, Vicky Christina Barcelona and Whatever Works.

There were three 2006/2008 i quite liked Cassandra's Dream, Vicky Christina Barcelona and Whatever Works.

Enjoyed Vicky, Cristina Barcelona alot. Thought Cassandra's Dream was poor, one of his worst imo.

Whatever Works was OK, but I thought given the talent involved it should have been better.

Did it one Sunday was amazing. Watching back to back is immense. 

• Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â