The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

New big screen 3D TV is being installed today.  What should be my first foray into the world of 3D films?

Avatar, Life of Pi, Dredd. All (iirc) filmed in 3d in the first place, not converted, and end up working best.

You'll probably find that you watch 3d films as the exception rather than the rule, incidentally. 3d is generally ropey, and even when is better it's quite gimmicky.

Pacific Rim might be worth a shout. The 3d is converted, but the film itself is very much 'show off the telly' stuff with lots of striking visuals (loads of neon and top rate CG).

New big screen 3D TV is being installed today.  What should be my first foray into the world of 3D films?

Avatar, Life of Pi, Dredd. All (iirc) filmed in 3d in the first place, not converted, and end up working best.

You'll probably find that you watch 3d films as the exception rather than the rule, incidentally. 3d is generally ropey, and even when is better it's quite gimmicky.

Pacific Rim might be worth a shout. The 3d is converted, but the film itself is very much 'show off the telly' stuff with lots of striking visuals (loads of neon and top rate CG).

Dredd was the first 3D blu ray I picked up. Looks fantastic!

Tried to watch Stoker. It's beautiful but I just couldn't get into it. I think you need to be in the mood to be pulled in. I'll try again soon.

Oh Dave, I am disappoint.

(please try again, it's **** brilliant).

Dredd was the first 3D blu ray I picked up. Looks fantastic!

Funnily enough the 3d transfer of Dredd actually blows the 2d out of the water. The 2d on the bluray looks hopeless, noisy with bizarre colouration and loss of detail. The 3d is impeccable, which is saying something for a film made for by bugger all at today's standards.

Dredd is still bizarrely underrated as a film. Thoroughly excellent action film and a far better adaptation than the Stallone one...

Went and saw it at the cinema because I was bored too, great decision.

• Like 2

saving mr banks

really enjoyed it, Thompson is good as an annoying snobby bitch, hanks pretty much doesn't need to get out of 1st gear, surprisingly seeing as I didn't even know he was in it from the trailers colin Farrell is superb, steals the show IMO really well edited between the 2 stories and kind of bubbles away as a tear jerker rather than being full on

probably in my top 5 films from this year, don't think it's getting that much fuss made over it but its good

• Like 1

Dredd is still bizarrely underrated as a film. Thoroughly excellent action film and a far better adaptation than the Stallone one...

Agreed. The only knock I have is the ending is a bit of a let down, but otherwise loved it.

Underrated where? It has a score of 7.0 on IMDB which for a genre film which for all it's entertainment value hardly breaks ground is good going.

I enjoyed it myself. It's not my usual cup of tea, some of the acting is terribly hammy (stand up Avon Barksdale) and it didn't develop the central relationship nearly well enough but it's got cracking sound and visuals and I found myself engaged in the plot, or more so the various set pieces and how they would unfold. 

7 out of 10 is spot on. It's got good word of mouth, I've recommended it to quite a few as a good way to waste 90 minutes on a Sunday afternoon. It's rated about right IMO.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â