The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

I hate foreign films.  I mean who wants to read subtitles?  It's stupid if you ask me, just watch films sin your own language.

Hey come on, people like what they like. Those without sin cast the first stone.

Edited by 8pints

I hate foreign films.  I mean who wants to read subtitles?  It's stupid if you ask me, just watch films in your own language.

Pretty much the same retort applies. Good ideas and storylines are not restricted to your own language, so by ruling out every non-English film you're ruling out some great stories and therefore some great films.

My retort to that retarded logic is that it stands to reason that by virtue of being older, they'll have had access to more of the best stories for themselves. The only thing that has improved is our ability to show a more visually impressive story. Not our ability to write, act and tell one. If anything, the visual impressiveness of modern films can often mask what is a crap film or at least be used as a way to distract the viewer from other shortcomings. B&W films on the other hand, because they didn't have that tool at their disposal, are more raw and honest stories as a result. They live and die by the story they're telling and how they're telling it. And the good films are all the better for that.

I'm not sure about that. If I wanted something focused on story, I'd read a book, or I'd go to the theater. Film should have a strong story too, but the medium allows for more than that. A good film, in my view, has a good balance between story, sound & visuals. The technological advances in the latter two have unquestionably improved the experience, but again it comes down to what you look for, and it needs to be balanced.

BOF's comments still apply. You can have great cinematography in B&W. 

The science is wonky.

Thats a bit nit-picky, Chinders. I doubt many people would be able to tell you the distances between Hubble and ISS or whether they orbit clockwise or anti.

That aside, I'd agree with your use of the word spectacular.

The science issues are more to do with things like inertia etc in space. One particular moment breaks the laws of physics for a moment of drama, let's say ;)

If you mean the bit where Clooney opens the hatch on an un-suited Bullock, that doesn't count, as it was a dream/hallucination. And a bit of Googling tells me that apparently you could actually get away with it for up to a minute or so, anyway. There were lots of minor goofs though - like Bullocks hair not being weightless!

No, not that scene, though I'd be lying if I said my immediate reaction to that scene wasn't 'She's dead then'.

The big one for me, amongst the other goofs like as you say the hair, was Clooneys death scene. The film shows him sacrifice himself because he will drag her with him. But the film clearly shows they've stopped, in which case all she'd have to do is pull him towards her on the tether.

Another similar issue, which I may be misremembering, when Bullock is first flung of into space, her spinning appears to show down for no reason before Clooney gets to her, which wouldn't happen.

But that aside, it's spectacular. The plot's exceptionally thin, the characters are cardboard cutouts, it's got some very on the nose imagery... But its one of the impressive films I've seen in sometime, the effects are incredible and I've still got the marks in my arm to prove how tense it all is.

Did you see it in IMax?

Saw it at the Giant Screen in Brum, so not officially an Imax any longer but still very impressive. First film I've seen where it felt like the film made genuine use of that screen size, very immersive.

I thought the whole point of 3d was to make you feel like you are there, gravity is the first time I've genuinely felt like I was there.

I think the floating camera also helped, really immersive.

I loved gravity personally, it was a genuine experience.

• Like 1

Did you see it in IMax?

Saw it at the Giant Screen in Brum, so not officially an Imax any longer but still very impressive. First film I've seen where it felt like the film made genuine use of that screen size, very immersive.

Ohhh Millenium Point. Yeah same thing as the IMax on Broad Street I saw it at. I felt like I was in a planetarium. 

Did you see it in IMax?

Mentioned it earlier in my gravity take but for me Buried is the only film that has really really made me feel immersed ... I sorta sat through that film with my legs twitching and wanting some air

just seen the nymphomaniac trailer, I knew the film was going to be a bit blue but 'kin hell! even the trailer...

I think its safe to says he's ticked the controversial box again

:D

Boobies!.........................:..

And bums and willies and vag and stuff

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â