The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Joon-ho Bong's Menories or Murder and Mother are another two I would recommend highly.

Also, if you want beautifully dark and twisted then Pil-Sung Yim's Hansel and Gretel is brilliant (but very disturbing in parts).

12 minutes Desi. You're slipping :P

Only just logged on for my lunch, give a man a chance! :D

I'd also heavily endorse All About Lily Chou Chou, which I love love love. It has a very curious aura about it, quite ethereal I suppose, it's a mighty slow paced affair though, so if that's not your thing you probably wouldn't enjoy it. Not so much weird or distrurbing though.

There's also a movie about a family, whose mother leaves the kids for very long periods of time, and they have to fend for themselves - based on a true story. It's great. Can't remember the name though, thought it was No One Knows, but an IMDB search yielded no results...

Saw Gravity last night in 3D. first 3d film since avatar ive bothered with. Visually very impressive. Bullock and Clooney are good on screen. Think the visuals and the score slightly disguised the limited plot for Bullock to an extent. Still 7.5/10 for the "cinematic" experience. Only had to take the glasses off 3 times this time to give my eyes a break.

The studio has been leaning on Aronofsky to change things because the story he wants to tell isn't the story that every man and his dog knows (and more importantly, depending on your viewpoint, what the hardcore Christians out there know - which is what the studio is concerned about as some preview screenings to the religious community did not return good thoughts)...

I do think this has more than a little of 'flop' written over it. It'll be a glorious disaster. A spectacle filled worthy piece of film making that comes over more than a little pretentiously that ultimately doesn't resonate with the audience and ends up being talked about with a giggle in a few years.

Saying that I love the Fountain so I'll probably love this - the shot of the flower blooming in the trailer is VERY Fountain-like.

Incidentally, if you want an idea of what Aronofsky's take on Noah might be like, he turned it into a graphic novel while he was trying to get the movie funded. The cover looks like this...

57027L.jpg

This ain't you're daddies Noah...

Saw Gravity last night in 3D. first 3d film since avatar ive bothered with. Visually very impressive. Bullock and Clooney are good on screen. Think the visuals and the score slightly disguised the limited plot for Bullock to an extent. Still 7.5/10 for the "cinematic" experience. Only had to take the glasses off 3 times this time to give my eyes a break.

This is my problem with 3D in a nutshell. Any immersive experience you have to "un-immerse" yourself from due to genuine physical discomfort is not one in which I wish to partake.

It's just not for me and likely never will be. 

watched life of pi, decent enough, drags in the middle with the "wow isn't 3D great" stuff but its got a great end

would say that out of the best film nominees last year life of pi, Lincoln, les miserables, silver linings play book, all there to make up the numbers, nothing special about them, which considering they bumped it to 10 films and then only nominated 9 makes it a bit pointless

Just back from Gravity

Effects were top notch , love to know how they pulled some of it off

Story was a bit meh and as that sort of storyline goes it wasn't anywhere close to the effect that "buried" gave you where you really did feel uncomfortable in your seat and squirmed

Better than I thought it would be though so a 7 /10

Finally saw The Hobbit 1 this evening. Not as bad as I feared to be honest given all the naysayers. Yes it's too long, the camera visuals don't half look odd at times and the opening scene setting was far too boring and dull, but I warmed to it eventually and it was perfectly entertaining fare for fantasy. God knows why / how they get 3 films out of the damned thing, but never mind. A solid ish 6.5 /10

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â