The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

By default I generally hate Ben Stiller films, but looking forward to this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1Xk-yTuFEU

Also this looks very good! 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gTshioYun4

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 2

Back from Prisoners

Long film but never boring , I called it quite early ( I didn't shout it out and ruin it for anyone though :) ) but still enough twists to make me doubt my theory

Don't usually comment on the lighting etc but the film was fantastically well lit ( if that's the correct phrase) the visual definition was stunning

We mate reckons it's not the sort of film that would get nominated but I thought Hugh Jackman put in an Oscar nomination worthy performance ... Be interesting to see if he gets a nomination

Just back from watching Filth. Full of awesomeness. 9/10! 

I'd go 8.5 hadn't read the book but as Pie Face said was pretty much awesome, went a bit nuts towards the finish but I still loved it.

I'd go 8.5 hadn't read the book but as Pie Face said was pretty much awesome, went a bit nuts towards the finish but I still loved it.

Just back from this myself, brilliant movie and an absolutely incredible performance from James McAvoy, although to be fair the whole cast is superb (Eddie Marsan and Shirley Henderson in particular). Some differences from the book as I expected but great nonetheless.

watched pacific rim ..............what a load of shite ....honestly how was that sold to Hollywood

It was fantastic and has been a massive global success.

I didn't think it had been that successful? it didn't review very well and struggled in yank land which was largely blamed on a lack of a huge star in the lead role

Just back from this myself, brilliant movie and an absolutely incredible performance from James McAvoy, although to be fair the whole cast is superb (Eddie Marsan and Shirley Henderson in particular). Some differences from the book as I expected but great nonetheless.

I've not read the book myself, but someone I went with had and they said...

In the book much more is made of the tapeworm? - I didn't quite work out the reference though - Do you know what that was all about?

watched pacific rim ..............what a load of shite ....honestly how was that sold to Hollywood

I didn't think it had been that successful? it didn't review very well and struggled in yank land which was largely blamed on a lack of a huge star in the lead role

It didn't do well domestically but was a massive success worldwide. They've already commissioned a sequel.

In the book much more is made of the tapeworm? - I didn't quite work out the reference though - Do you know what that was all about?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filth_(novel)

At a certain point in the book, the narrative starts to be interrupted by a tube-like structure that appears on top of the text, and at first is only made of the word "eat" being repeated amid the zeros that fill the empty space within the tube.

It is later revealed that this is actually the thoughts of the tapeworm growing inside Bruce's intestines.

At first, the tapeworm only encourages Bruce to eat. Later, after becoming self-aware (and naming itself "The Self"), the tapeworm starts to ask basic existential questions and names Bruce as "The Host". It also stumbles upon the existence of other worms (collectively named by the initial worm as "The Other").

The tapeworm's monologues, which grow lengthier and more eloquent as the novel progresses, explain Bruce's backstory and how he became the person presented to the reader.

It didn't do well domestically but was a massive success worldwide. They've already commissioned a sequel.

oh I can't wait :D

Another couple of films watched in the last few days:

Mama- I liked it and it scared me a few times. Good for a horror movie. 6.5/10

Gangster squad- Decent. Penn is good in it, Gosling decent. 6/10.

And now I've ordered Only God forgives as it got some good reviews on here, IIRC. Will blame you all if I don't like it. :)

oh I can't wait :D

Hey we can't all have the same taste. Some people actually liked Inception.

And once again there's no such thing as bad publicity. I am now aware of this film :P

Blue is the Warmest Colour 'banned' in Idaho as sex and alcohol don't mix

Blue is the Warmest Colour 'banned' in Idaho as sex and alcohol don't mix

Alcohol licensing laws which prohibit screening of films with a sexual nature stops arthouse cinema from screening Palme D'Or winner

For lovers of arthouse cinema it stands as one of the year's most highly anticipated and controversial films, a startling three-hour Palme D'Or winning saga of sapphic passion whose stars later denounced their director's working practices and vowed never to work with him again. But as US filmgoers sit down to view Abdellatif Kechiche's Blue is the Warmest Colour later this month, they may just spare a second or two to pity their counterparts in the mountainous rural state of Idaho, where the explicit French drama has effectively been banned.

Carole Skinner, owner of the Flicks theatre in Boise, said the cinema was unable to show the film because its alcohol licence prohibits the screening of movies which feature "acts or simulated acts of sexual intercourse, masturbation, sodomy, bestiality, oral copulation, flagellation or any sexual acts which are prohibited by law" and "any person being touched, caressed or fondled on the breast, buttocks, anus or genitals". Blue is the Warmest Colour, suffice to say, includes pretty much all of the above.

Worse still, the Flicks theatre is the only cinema in Idaho which shows European and arthouse fare. "It isn't because we're prudes," an apologetic Skinner told the Hollywood Reporter.

There was better news for Kechiche and his stars Lea Seydoux and Adele Exarchopoulos in their native France, where Blue is the Warmest Colour opened at the weekend. The film is currently riding high in second place at the box office, and picked up the biggest debut of the year for a homegrown movie. The successful bow is a partial vindication for the film's distributors, who opted for a 9 October release date at the expense of disqualification for next year's Oscar for best foreign language film. It also suggests that the row over Kechiche's controversial working methods has only boosted interest in the movie.

Exarchopoulos and Seydoux complained during the Toronto film festival that they had been put through a gruelling 10-day shoot for the 10-minute love scene at the centre of the film and were forced into a continuous one-hour take - during which the director refused to allow his stars to simulate blows - for a separate fight scene. Kechiche later lamented that his stars' comments would make it impossible for audiences to view the offending scenes "with a clean heart and a watchful eye" and mournfully called for the film's release to be cancelled. He said: "In advance, they will ask: 'Did this man not harass the girls? Did they not cherish [the experience], too, and they do not dare say it?"

At least Idahoan arthouse lovers can cross state lines to catch Blue is the Warmest Colour later this month. UK cinemagoers will have to wait until 15 November to view the Cannes prize-winner. A pair of screenings at the London film festival are already sold out.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â