The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Just finished The Iceman

The book is one of the best true crime stories I have ever read and I love Michael Shannon but this was a massive let down

Very poor script, the timespan of the movie is all over the place and very poor casting. It could have been so much better with such great material.

Sharpen up the script, give it to Scorsese and make it 3 hours long and it could have been epic.

Shame

Also watched this last night and also underwhelmed by the whole thing - don't think the casting was that bad, Shannon certainly played his role well along with Chris Ryan (Mr Freezy) and Ray Liotta (Ray DeMeo) but have to agree with the timespan - the film was all over the place with no real sense of time passing.

It's certainly a missed opportunity.

Shannon did his best with a very poor script and is the shining light in it

Ray Liotta didn't stand a chance he was so under written as was Evans, they certainly suffered from bad direction and material

How you can attempt to fit a fascinating crime story that spanned 20 years into 90 minutes is beyond me

They also didn't even hint as his abuse of his wife

Would love to see it done again in a few years time with better people once this has been forgotten about

Looks pretty good, hopefully the film retains that atmosphere. I just hope it doesn't reenact the best bits of pacific rim or cloverfield. Does look good even from that teaser though.

I really liked 'Monsters'. I think Gareth Edwards will turn out to be a very good director, and I expect Godzilla to be a little more character driven and hopefully all the better for it.

As much fun as it is to watch a city get totalled by a big beastie, it can get boring very quickly if you no emotional investment in the characters.

Der Siebente Kontinent is fantastic. I loved the idea that Haneke read this little snippet in a paper about the two main characters...doing what they do, being fascinated by it, and then making that film. Iirc nothing much happens for the first 70 minutes or so, then WHAM.

The first hour is quite mundane but with a deep sense of foreboding. There's a long shot of someone eating cornflakes and it filled me with dread. The last half hour is devastating.

Gareth Edwards

Nuneaton represent!

Who is Gojira fighting in this one? Ghidorah? Mothra? Mechagodzilla? Americans? JSSDF? THE WHOLE OF HUMANITY?!

It might be ok. But it won't have Don Frye in it, will it?

Captian_Gordon.jpg

What a fantastic man. Put on an acting masterclass in that film.

Gareth Edwards

Nuneaton represent!

Who is Gojira fighting in this one? Ghidorah? Mothra? Mechagodzilla? Americans? JSSDF? THE WHOLE OF HUMANITY?!

It might be ok. But it won't have Don Frye in it, will it?

Captian_Gordon.jpg

What a fantastic man. Put on an acting masterclass in that film.

I've never seen Final Wars, sadly...

I believe the new film basically has Godzilla against everything. He's an anti-hero force of nature, the world is ravaged by these massive monsters and he's the **** off king of them all and basically stomps around being a problem for humans and other monsters alike. The clip shown at SDCC this year had a big mantis thing attacking an airport, and then all of sudden Godzilla's foot stomps down and it absolutely dwarfs the mantis thing, presumably the mantis then dies.

Its a year old. It's the footage they used to announce the project at SDCC in 2012. Its the first footage of it most people have seen, and thus worth posting I think as people might be interested, as it is also a nod to the direction the film is supposedly headed in. The first trailer is due to drop in a month, it may be the case that they just use this.

Either way, I'm not sure what your comment there is meant to bring to the table.

This weekends films:

Cloud Atlas- Really enjoyed it. Really good film. Good actors and a good plot. 8.5/10

The Apparition- A good intention, and they tried to do it the right way, but it didn't take off. Not a good film. Ashely Green is hot. Don't know how bad an actor she is, I just don't care when I see her. :-P 4/10. Which is probably generous.

The Internship - Considering who wrote it and who it stars it was actually better than I thought it would be......

You couldn't pay me to watch that. Well, maybe you could, but it'd be a decent wedge.
  • Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â