The Great Debaters

Stranger than Fiction

Gone Baby Gone

He was a quiet man

The Pianist

Wall - E

Downfall

Grand Torino

not your typical list ( which I still think in a lot of cases are influenced by films people feel obliged to put in there or face ridicule  !!)

they are films I've enjoyed ..and would be happy to watch again and again 

Avengers , TDK  etc were enjoyable enough , but I wouldn't go back and watch them again

Good list that is Tone.

• Like 1

donnie, on 18 Sept 2013 - 4:13 PM, said:

tonyh29, on 18 Sept 2013 - 3:25 PM, said:

See mine probably wouldn't have any of those in it ..maybe The Prestige

in no particular order , my top 10 films that I rated from the 00's would be

To Kill a King

Across the Universe

The Great Debaters

Stranger than Fiction

Gone Baby Gone

He was a quiet man

The Pianist

Wall - E

Downfall

Grand Torino

not your typical list ( which I still think in a lot of cases are influenced by films people feel obliged to put in there or face ridicule !!)

they are films I've enjoyed ..and would be happy to watch again and again

Avengers , TDK etc were enjoyable enough , but I wouldn't go back and watch them again

You have just randomly picked a few films no one has ever heard of too make you seem cool haven't you lol

I'm too cool to care if people think I'm cool or not ;)

I saw to kill a King at a cinema in London .. I was the only person in the screening  .. Tim Roth was great in it I thought

If anyone's arsed (I doubt it) this is IMDB's take on the top films between 2000-2010

1. The Dark Knight

2. Return of the King

3.Fellowship of the Ring

4. Inception

5. The Two Towers

6. City of God

7. Memento

8. Spirited Away

9. The Pianist

10. The Departed

11. Gladiator

12. Wall-E

13. The Lives of Others

14. Toy Story 3

15. The Prestige

16. Amelie

17. Requiem for a Dream

18. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

19. Oldboy

20. Batman Begins

I used to swear by the imdb but the comic book geeks and the retarded have ruined that site.

At one stage on there the dark knight was rated above the godfather for gods sake.now its ranked the 6th best film ever!! and as if inception is rated that high also above oldbpy, city of god, the departed etc. Imdb has been ruined and id honestly take no notice of it.

Avengers has 183,000 10/10s and 8,000 1/10s. To say it's "only" up there because of "comic book geeks" is ridiculous. I suppose it and Iron Man only made over $2.5billion because of us as well. :lol: Comic book movies rule the movie World at the moment, get over it. 

If anyone's arsed (I doubt it) this is IMDB's take on the top films between 2000-20101. The Dark Knight2. Return of the King

3.Fellowship of the Ring4. Inception5. The Two Towers 6. City of God

7. Memento

8. Spirited Away

9. The Pianist10. The Departed11. Gladiator12. Wall-E13. The Lives of Others14. Toy Story 315. The Prestige16. Amelie17. Requiem for a Dream18. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind19. Oldboy20. Batman Begins

I used to swear by the imdb but the comic book geeks and the retarded have ruined that site.

At one stage on there the dark knight was rated above the godfather for gods sake.now its ranked the 6th best film ever!! and as if inception is rated that high also above oldbpy, city of god, the departed etc. Imdb has been ruined and id honestly take no notice of it.

Avengers has 183,000 10/10s and 8,000 1/10s. To say it's "only" up there because of "comic book geeks" is ridiculous. I suppose it and Iron Man only made over $2.5billion because of us as well. :lol: Comic book movies rule the movie World at the moment, get over it.

So because a film makes billions it means its a good film?! Come on fella if the avengers or the dark knight is your favourite film thats fair enough...but to have it in the imdb rated amongst the greatest films EVER is ridiculous.

1. The Dark Knight

2. Fellowship of the Ring

3. No Country for Old Men

4. The Two Towers

5. Oldboy

6. The Secret in their Eyes

7. District 9
8. Return of the King

9. Memento

10. There Will Be Blood

11. Waltz With Bashir

12. American Psycho

13. Pans Labyrinth

14. Gladiator

15. The Incredibles

16. Monsters Inc.

17. The Prestige

18. American Gangster

19. Gran Torino

20. Inglourious Basterds

This list is subject to change.

• Like 1

I don't understand the 'nothing really happens' argument against 'There Will Be Blood'.

A lot happens!

I guess it could be down to modern sensibilities or whatever. I've read a few books with not a lot happening plot wise, but with a lot of character exploration etc, and found them every bit as fascinating as thrillers. I compare 'There Will Be Blood' to those kind of books. That isn't to say everyone should or would like that style but I love it.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner

If anyone's arsed (I doubt it) this is IMDB's take on the top films between 2000-20101. The Dark Knight2. Return of the King

3.Fellowship of the Ring4. Inception5. The Two Towers 6. City of God

7. Memento

8. Spirited Away

9. The Pianist10. The Departed11. Gladiator12. Wall-E13. The Lives of Others14. Toy Story 315. The Prestige16. Amelie17. Requiem for a Dream18. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind19. Oldboy20. Batman Begins

So because a film makes billions it means its a good film?! Come on fella if the avengers or the dark knight is your favourite film thats fair enough...but to have it in the imdb rated amongst the greatest films EVER is ridiculous.

No, I said that it's not "just comic book geeks" that like it, they wouldn't make as much as they do if that were the case. I know plenty of people who like it. Jesus, even Stevo said he enjoyed it and he's about as anti-comic book stuff as it gets on here! Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it isn't good.

Edited by kurtsimonw
  • Like 1

Have just got back from Rush. Really enjoyed it. As a biopic it was very successful, obviously dramatised and I'm now googling to find out how much is true and how much wasn't, but both leads are very good, Daniel Bruhl as Nikki Lauda in particular. Definitely good at the cinema in terms of appreciating the F1 noise and the F1 element is really well done, I mean they do a great job capturing the speed and the thrill of it, better than race directors now I think. All in all a very well done solid film. The guy playing James Hunt, is perhaps a slight, slight weak point at times, but he wasn't bad by any means

I'm looking forward to seeing Rush. Daniel Bruhl is in two good films I can remember off the top of my head, Goodbye Lenin and Inglourious.

he's also very good in a film called The Edukators which I can recommend here too.

the_edukators_wideweb__430x293.jpg

Edited by Rodders
  • Like 2

Have just got back from Rush. Really enjoyed it. As a biopic it was very successful, obviously dramatised and I'm now googling to find out how much is true and how much wasn't, but both leads are very good, Daniel Bruhl as Nikki Lauda in particular. Definitely good at the cinema in terms of appreciating the F1 noise and the F1 element is really well done, I mean they do a great job capturing the speed and the thrill of it, better than race directors now I think. All in all a very well done solid film. The guy playing James Hunt, is perhaps a slight, slight weak point at times, but he wasn't bad by any means

Totally agree. The script was a little corny in places, and the acting occasionally a bit wooden (Chris Hemsworth's Aussie accent crept through now and again, too), but the overall effect was highly entertaining. It captured the drama of that season (which I remember being gripped by at the time) really well. No spoilers for those unfamiliar with the story, but the bare facts of that last race could - on paper - look like an anticlimax. The film demonstrates why it wasn't.

Liked it a lot.

Edited by mjmooney

theunderstudy, on 19 Sept 2013 - 08:59 AM, said:

I'm looking forward to seeing Rush. Daniel Bruhl is in two good films I can remember off the top of my head, Goodbye Lenin and Inglourious.

D'oh  .. how could I have forgotten that film from my list  ... quality film

On the evening of October 7, 1989 several hundred people got together for some evening exercise and marched for the right to go for walks without the Berlin Wall getting in their way.

I don't understand the 'nothing really happens' argument against 'There Will Be Blood'.

A lot happens!

I guess it could be down to modern sensibilities or whatever. I've read a few books with not a lot happening plot wise, but with a lot of character exploration etc, and found them every bit as fascinating as thrillers. I compare 'There Will Be Blood' to those kind of books. That isn't to say everyone should or would like that style but I love it.

Yes most of my fav films not a lot happens. People see things differently. I was slightly underwhelmed by the film but if the majority love it then that's fair enough. Its got a higher imdb rating than Butch Cassidy and the sundance kind which I find strange because imo that's the best western of all time. Two brilliant actors who were brilliant together in that film as in the other 70s classic The sting. I know Daniel Day Lewis has won more Oscars than any other actor but I don't rate him as highly as Paul Newman.

Westerns are a very disparate genre. It's very hard to compare (say) High Noon, Butch Cassidy, and Once Upon a Time in the West - they're all great but have virtually nothing in common besides the old west locations.

The thing that often surprises people about Butch Cassidy is that - although it's a romantic/comedy/family movie in many ways, it sticks pretty closely to the facts about Butch, Sundance and Etta. As far as we can tell they pretty much WERE like that (even larked about, riding bicycles, etc.)

Westerns are a very disparate genre. It's very hard to compare (say) High Noon, Butch Cassidy, and Once Upon a Time in the West - they're all great but have virtually nothing in common besides the old west locations.

The thing that often surprises people about Butch Cassidy is that - although it's a romantic/comedy/family movie in many ways, it sticks pretty closely to the facts about Butch, Sundance and Etta. As far as we can tell they pretty much WERE like that (even larked about, riding bicycles, etc.)

yes all very diverse. Butch Cassidy had everything, great acting, comedy, songs , beauty in Katherine Ross - poor lady has aged badly. My great regret is having been over to Utah a number of times I have never been to the sundance festival.

I agree the Verdict is a great film. The Hustler, Cool hand Luke + BC&SDK and the Sting all great films.

Butch, Etta and Sundance in the film:

037-katharine-ross-theredlist.jpg

The originals:

Bunch.jpg

Not bad casting, I'd say.

Cassidy, Longabaugh, and Bill Carver traveled to Winnemucca, Nevada, where on September 19, 1900, they robbed the First National Bank of Winnemucca, Nevada of $32,640. In December, Cassidy posed in Fort Worth, Texas for the now-famous Fort Worth Five Photograph, which depicts Parker, Longabaugh, Harvey Logan (alias Kid Curry), Ben Kilpatrick and William Carver. The Pinkerton Detective Agency obtained a copy of the photograph and began to use it for its latest wanted posters.

Wiki

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â